The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Nikola (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mack Abee
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mack Abee
Hello, I have been working with the Nikola's system for a while, and was wondering if there was a new improved system used around or a good book on that subject?
Thanks for your help.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
If you like Nikola, I think you'll love Simon Aronson's work. Yes, it is fair to say that the Nikola stack has been obsolete for some time now.

http://www.simonaronson.net/book.htm
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
"it is fair to say that the Nikola stack has been obsolete for some time now."

How to upset someone that has just learnt it, lol.

I wouldn't say "obsolete", as like the Stebbins stack (which pre-dates Stebbins)you can still totally amaze people using these old stacks.

There are several newer stacks around, Aronson, Bart Harding, etc. and a fair bit of work on memorized stacks. But if you learned an older stack and do great effects with it, why change? Unless you see a killer effect that you simply "must" do.

I may be wrong, but I think Pat Page still baffles people with the Nicola stack from time to time.

Paul.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-08-13 08:47, Paul wrote:
I wouldn't say "obsolete", as like the Stebbins stack (which pre-dates Stebbins)you can still totally amaze people using these old stacks.

Actually, I think there is more to be gained from the Si Stebbins and Stay Stack than the "Nikola Card System."

While "Whist" is not really the rage these days, neither is the Nikola system.

The "under their noses" set-up touted by Nikola has been addressed far more efficiently by Darwin Ortiz in his "Si Stebbins Secret." You can also get from Stebbins to Stay Stack without too much trouble.

Any "rote memory" stack can amaze, but the Ireland stack (and several others) can be argued to have advantages over the Nikola.

I'm presuming the poster wants more . . . investigating Simon Aronson's material will give him that. If someone still prefers Nikola after reading Aronson, that's fine. The more choices, the better.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
PS

Pat Page still baffles everybody with everything, as far as I know!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Another Aronson devotee here. (I've been rereading "Try the Impossible" the last few days whilst recovering (I hope!) from a cold.)

In another thread I said that I won't learn a sleight unless I need it for an effect I really want to perform. The same goes for the effort to learn a stack. I finally had an idea for an effect which needed a memorized deck, and the timing was perfect: Try the Impossible was about to be released, and Simon gave me a great deal on that volume, Bound to Please, and a pamphlet entitled Memories are Made of This.

As a lot of work goes into memorizing a stack, be sure that you'll be getting your money's worth, as it were. Hundreds of effects have been published for the Aronson stack, and I'm sure the same can be said of Ireland, Nikola, Si Stebbins, and so on. The value of the "newer" stacks is that there is more current development and publishing than with the "older" stacks, which might be a consideration.

Note, finally, that much of Aronson's work is effective no matter what stack you know. Take Randy's advice and look into it; I'd strongly suggest Bound to Please as a good introduction.
Mack Abee
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Mack Abee
Thank you guys very much for this strong advices. Best Regards. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Nikola (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL