The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jungillusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I was wondering if anyone out there has Paul Osborne's "Illusions, Evolution and Revolution of the Magic Box". If so could you post a description of the effect of an illusion entitled "Jungillusion". Smile The name made me wonder if this would fit my show theme.
Thanks,
Daktari
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
It is bamboo looking cage on a stand, in which two girls get in. The sides and back wall are solid. It is turned around so you can't see inside and two spears are put into the sides of the "cage". It is turned back around and the girls are gone.

It was designed for a show Melinda did and there were two more phases using other illusions, including an escape and vanish of Melinda and, finally, a "Things that go Bump in the Night" type illusion to make everyone reappear.

Only the Jungillusion is explained. It does have the plans for it, as well as some comments from Tim White, who designed it.
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
Thanks for the reply! Would you recommend this book? I have several of Paul's works but don't have this. It looks like an interesting read.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Well I'm disappointed.
From the title I was expecting a wonderful effect for the German existentialist illusionist not some cheezy Jungle themed box trick.
Oh well maybe another day.
Creativity is not just a good idea, it’s the future .
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I enjoyed this book a lot, but not so much because of the illusions. I especially liked reading Paul's section called "Birth of Illusionboy." It's a short autobiography and is very entertaining.

The articles are all a lot of fun. The illusions that are included are pretty cool but too elaborate for what I do. I have a 2-person show and usually work on portable stages at banquets. No room for big, elaborate illusions. (That's why I sold my Crystal Box Illusion. It sat idle for nearly 6 years after I stopped working cruises. Went to Blammo Box. Takes a lot less room to perform!)

I see you're from Nashville. We should chat. My mother-in-law lives in Clarksville so I get up that way from time to time.

Michael
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Smile NEWS FLASH! Smile

Dean Hankey has something along this line available... a complete Jungle Act with two small Bambo cages similar to the Osborne idea (originally known as the Double X-Ray Boxes... a classic production of several girls featured in the Dante, Thurston and Blackstone shows long ago!)

If you visit KJMagic.com and go to the for sale section I believe you can do a search for "TheDean" and locate the listing. He has several other cool ONE OF A KIND pieces listed as well. Most of it built by John Gaughan.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
One problem with the Paul Osborne book is that many of the introductory articles are written in black text printed on pages covered with black dots like fullstops (I supect this was intended to be a pale grey 'halftone' but that's not the way it's turned out!)

The pages describing the illusions are black on white and can be read easily. Many of the historical and biographical articles, however, are almost unreadable due to the dotty pages... Smile

best wishes
Huw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jungillusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL