The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2004 entrée: Derren Brown » » Are 'psychological' magicians the new psychics » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hmm
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of hmm
Love your interesting, thought-provoking work, and I thought your recent seance made excellent telly.

As a bit of a Uri Geller fan (sorry) I wanted to ask:

1)if you think that there is really such a difference between his psychic line and the psychological mantle that you assume? I mean, given that psychology is such a floaty discipline and so little of it is based in solid research trials, where is the difference?

2)if you think it matters? - magicians seem to be a bit obsessed with the whole skeptic thing, but do you feel a magician can create a coherent vision without lying about something? and do you think that the likes of Uri are really being unfair on their audience?

thankyou...
DerrenBrown
View Profile
V.I.P.
109 Posts

Profile of DerrenBrown
Great question. I did start off with a hard 'psychology' line, but I didn't want to give myself an ulcer. For me, the challenge and interesting part of it all is to be as honest as possible whilst retaining the strength of the performance. It's not about proving I have this or that ability. So I say that it's a 'mixture of magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship', and that's true.
If I have people asking me where they can join a course to learn NLP or some technique, I'll give them what advice I have, which is both where the better courses are, but also why it has to be taken with a huge pinch of salt. I also reiterate, in case they've missed it, that much of what I do isn't what it looks like. I'll be as honest as I can without getting into individual methods, as I prefer to keep those to myself.
However, I'd much rather someone took it too seriously and decided to take a psychology course, than someone took a fraudulent psychic seriously and decided to make life-decisions based on that false information, or become a psychic themselves. For me, there is a real difference there.
It's up to any performer what line they take, as long as they take responsibility for their claims. For me, it's more interesting and defensible to be as honest as possible about it in general, though at the same time I have to be ambiguous about specifics.

Hope that answers the question. I guess I should keep my thoughts on Uri to myself.

db
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Could you perhaps PM me your thoughts on Uri?
As I would be interested to here them.
:)
Jordan
One day I will write a book
Gary D
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
234 Posts

Profile of Gary D
Same here!
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I guess you misunderstood what he meant by 'keeping them to himself' then?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 08:59, salsa_dancer wrote:
I guess you misunderstood what he meant by 'keeping them to himself' then?

I would guess similar to mine - Strange spoon bending magician. Also very good friends with MJ - need I say more?

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Lmao nuff said Paula.
Are their any magicians other than Mr David Blaine who seem to slightly fond of him?
One day I will write a book
Richard Allen
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Richard Allen
Quote:

1)if you think that there is really such a difference between his psychic line and the psychological mantle that you assume? I mean, given that psychology is such a floaty discipline and so little of it is based in solid research trials, where is the difference?

thankyou...

Psychology is completely based on research trials. Take a Research Methods class in psychology. It is a difficult discipline to pursue as far as determining causation, but no claims are made by a psychologist that isn't backed by scientific research.

--Richard Allen
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
As someone who has published dozens of articles in peer reviewed scientific publications, let me back up Richard Allen. The majority of psychologists are empirical scientists who only publish hard data about the workings of the brain. A minority of psychologists are therapists, most of whom are also serious scientists, although there are a few one might characterize as "floaty".
hmm
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of hmm
Sorry, I was being unfair, and I didn't mean to knock the empirical scientists - I just meant that many people hear the word 'psychology' and assume that it must be scientific, but NLP, Freudian psychoanalysis, and quite a bit of social are led just as much by unproven doctrines and the stuff that the psychics claim. And (potentially) psychology-based acts do little to make a clear divisions between what is hard science and what is dodgy speculation, though as Derren just said he is careful about that.

But keeping doing your MRI scans, or whatever else you do! Wouldn't dream of calling that fluffy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2004 entrée: Derren Brown » » Are 'psychological' magicians the new psychics » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL