The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Good Tricks For the Elderly or Dying (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I think the napkin rose idea is great. A very inexpensive alternative that always goes over well...I get very good-looking artificial flowers at JoAnn Fabrics. I cut the bunches apart so I have 20-25 individual flowers. Then I do a flower force and, after some byplay leading to the revelation, I manifest the "freely selected" flower. Everyone gets one. It costs me under $5.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I would stay away from reading Fortunes.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Some very good points brought up here. About Alzheimer's... I have had some very different things happen. Don't assume they are not aware. Don't talk down to anyone. I have included things that to the professionals in the medical profession shouldn't have gotten thru. I had someone reach around my neck to give me a hug and kiss. When I asked them what that was for they replied "so you would know I am still in here" Another comment made by someone with dementha was "it shows how much you care because you realy listen" Take your time and be sure to listen. Sometimes using thrift mart of antique items such as old style wood box radio or antique bakelite phone etc will strike a cord from the past for some. But always show the love.
John
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Hey everyone...I really appreciate all the feedback this thread has gotten since I posted it about two years ago. I haven't been very active on here quite a while, so I apologize for not responding to the wealth of valuable information and intellect each of you has brought to this topic.

On another note, I will be doing a show for a nursing home shortly after Christmas, so I'll keep your ideas in mind and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks everyone,

TJ
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
102 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
Hi all, It's been a while since any threads discussed hospice and I wanted to ask if anyone had updated advice or insights to share? I had a family member in hospice years ago, and the staff at the end were amazing. I wanted to give it some time, but I think I'm ready to explore this venue. I have some experience performing in hospitals, but hospice would be new.

I'm interested in thoughts about performing for small groups. I'm good at close-up but I don't have stage or parlor skills, and I think it's important to stick with what I know.

Thoughts about style? While I have some humor in my act, I'm not a comedian. My hospital act tended to be a little subdued, enthusiastic and supportive but not over the top. If I thought the patient and their family would enjoy it, I had several routines about focusing on the positive and building connections with each other that got good responses.

Is it appropriate to suggest performing for the caregivers rather than the patient? If some people are at an advanced stage of their illness and unresponsive, is it worth suggesting that the caregivers may benefit from the mental break themselves?

In this Covid age, has anyone considered performing virtually for the patient? Or is the in-person experience that much more profound under the circumstances?

Any other lessons learned would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Good Tricks For the Elderly or Dying (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL