The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » the dangers of hypnosis? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
What are the dangers of hypnosis?
If the subject goes into deeper hypnosis,it gets more dangerous?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I mean this in all sincerity when I scream "Aaaaarg"!!!!!!

Did you not bother to read the last postings in the last thread?!?!?!?!?!

Get a hold of "They call it hypnosis" and perhaps that will explain it. There is NO danger with the hypnosis. Only to the participants by an inexperienced worker who does not know how to handle people. The HYPNOSIS itself is harmless, HARMLESS.
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
Sorry,

As a Master Practitioner in Ericksonian Hypnosis I can say that Hypnosis is harmless only with inexpérienced or ethical performers!..
For your information : 4 years ago a scientific team prove (with "tomographie par émission de positron" : sort of scan) that hypnosis exists. 4 areas in brain show true difference in activity when in trance.
1 year ago the director of the french Ericksonian institute wrote a book on hypnosis where he explained that he sometimes help people who have serious problems because of a "a.....e" who thought that it is very funny to do hypnosis with no ethics at all. So please, be serious about hypnosis. It's not a play !

But I do agree that "stage hypnosis" in the traditional way is VERY often as stupid as it is harmless.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I am a physician and a mentalist. I have performed hypnosis on stage and used it in my practice.

If you are asking this question, you do not know enough about hypnosis even to consider using it on stage.

Please, please learn everything you can. Read every book you can get your hands on. Only in this way can you learn to use hypnosis in a way that is entertaining to your audience, respectful to your subjects, and safe for everyone involved.

Bob Baker
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I remember seeing a hypnotist finish his act with about 12 subjects runing around looking for pet lepracorns. Outside after the show they were still carrying them and talking to them in a busy street. With lots of traffic around..

I have to admit way back when I first started doing shows I gave someone a suggestion that their seat would be hot on the count of three....before I could stop them they got up and ran straight out of the function hall I was playing in.

To make matters worse right outside the hotel there was a harbour at least a mile long! I was dreading looking over incase all I could see was bubbles rising. My friend found him a little disorientated up the street.

Even although I had trained with a very experienced Hypnotist that happened to me. You never know how someone will respond to suggestions everyone is different. Of course suggestions that they will not leave the stage are part of every show I do now.

Hypnosis on stage can be dangerous to someone inexperienced. You don't know who you have on stage
or how they will respond in a given situation.
You need to be prepared and that only comes with experience and proper training...
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
If hypnosis doesn't get them, a backwards playing of the Beetles album will. . . or maybe a listening of Myralin Manson will tell them to kill themselfs.
Don't feel bad, it's only Darwinism at work.

E-Leoni.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
The reality is that there is no sharp dividing line between "hypnotic" states and other states which people go into and out of every day of their lives. There is no sharp dividing line between the "influence" sought by the hypnotist (stage or clinical) and the "influence" sought by such people as advertisers, salesmen, politicians, the media and countless others who seek to influence beliefs and actions.

The claim that there is some sort of "danger" connected with hypnosis is complete nonsense. The unconscious part of the mind always protects the hypnotic subject from any suggestion that might be harmful to him or her. If such a suggestion was given, the unconscious would either ignore it or, more likely wake the person out of trance. Hypnosis always depends on the willingness of the subject to enter an altered state of awareness.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:

The claim that there is some sort of "danger" connected with hypnosis is complete nonsense. The unconscious part of the mind always protects the hypnotic subject from any suggestion that might be harmful to him or her.

Of course there are some dangers and risks when doing stage work or therapy. They may not be directly related to the process of hypnosis but to the mis-management of subjects, clients in trance. You don't know who you have up on stage or what their mental state is.
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
Quote:
On 2002-08-28 16:01, shrink wrote:
Of course suggestions that they will not leave the stage are part of every show I do now.

Hypnosis on stage can be dangerous to someone inexperienced.

I always thought that stage hypnosis was just a simulated hypnosis, employing stooges (even "impromptu") or gimmicks (Hypnotic chair, hypnotic liquid, etc.). Are you saying that there is also the possibility of a real kind of hypnotic suggestion in such a horrible place to do it as a stage is?
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
<<... may not be directly related to the process of hypnosis but to the mis-management of subjects, clients in trance.>>

Bang on, mate. One of my subjects was standing, eyes shut and in a "trance". Thinks he to himself: "If I'm asleep, I should be lying down." He proceeded to fall face first, stiff as a board, towards the floor. Were it not for somebody's quick reactions in catching him, I would probably have ended up paying some hefty hospital bills.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 17:44, Drewmcadam wrote:
<<... may not be directly related to the process of hypnosis but to the mis-management of subjects, clients in trance.>>

Bang on, mate. One of my subjects was standing, eyes shut and in a "trance". Thinks he to himself: "If I'm asleep, I should be lying down." He proceeded to fall face first, stiff as a board, towards the floor. Were it not for somebody's quick reactions in catching him, I would probably have ended up paying some hefty hospital bills.

Problem quite easily solved....just makes sure when putting some into trance standing up to give the suggestion...."sleep you can stand". If someone still looks wobbly then just give him a rapid induction and lower him to ground.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Doctor Q, in a published manuscript, advocated an assistant with a rubber mallet poised behind the stage backdrop. The assistant's job was to induce trance states by administering sharp raps to the skulls of recalcitrant subjects.

Aaah, there was a time when the theater was a much wilder frontier...

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
You mean I'm not the first stage hypnotist to use that method? Smile
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
Sorry I haven't enough time to develop my point of view.
Milton Erickson himself worked with people who had serious problem because of a show of hypnosis they saw many years before. Read his collected papers, he explains everything in it about that. Just a little example : catalepsy can "eorganise" badly the vertebra and cause serious pains. Post hypnotic suggestions can cause problems too.

If you want to know the truth, ask to a practician not a magician who wants to legitimate his activity.

A last thing : ask to Kamikaze in Palestine if the reorganization of their thoughts and perception of reality by fundamentalsits cause no dommage to them...
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
So yall are saying that hypnotism is real?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Hypnosis, as the general public has been mislead into believing about through movies and media does not exists. What the general public has been mislead into believing what constitutes a hypnotic trance does not exist. However, that said, hypnosis and trance states (although neither of these terms are actually used today) Do exist, just not in the way most people have been conditioned to understand.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Peter695
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Peter695
It is my experience that the terms "hypnosis" and "trance states" are very much in use and current. I see and hear them used nearly everyday.

I will say that I hear and see the term "guided imagery" and others used more than ever. My impression is that they're more accepted by the public.

(Edit) Paul, I just noticed your location. Perhaps that has something to do with our differing perceptions.

Peter
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-09-01 17:50, Peter695 wrote:
It is my experience that the terms "hypnosis" and "trance states" are very much in use and current. I see and hear them used nearly everyday.

I will say that I hear and see the term "guided imagery" and others used more than ever. My impression is that they're more accepted by the public.

Peter

Hypnosis does exist and is used frequently at least over here. Yes there is also a lot of fear conditioned to the word hypnosis thats why many corporate trainings and development courses use terms like guided imagery. At the end of the day its just a word I don't know what all the fuss is about with the exist doesn't exist arguments.

As far I can see its just semantics. At the end of the day its possible to capture someones imagination and elicit hypnotic phenomena such as hallucinations, amnesia..emotional and mental states..etc I don't care what you call it.. it exists either naturally or induced...
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
I'm very curious to know where is the scientific proof that Hypnosis doesn't exist ?..
On the other hand, I can easily find a proof of the reality of trance as I already explained. Inexperienced people tell many things about many things without any proof...
It's exactly the same problem with NLP : they read a book or two and they think they have understood the quintessence of this art of the communication. It makes me laugh !
But please, if you are convinced that hypnosis doens't exist ant that you have total control of your life and your perceptions of "reality" : don't change anything in your point of view because you could experience something new and very strange which could change your life and you would never be the same after... that's too dangerous for you ! DON'T TRY !!!
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
I personally fully believe that hypnosis is 'real', but that it's a perfectly natural and normal ability of focussing our attention in an uncritical way. I always get amused when some people claim that 'it' doesn't exist, as if 'it' is some special separate entity.

An interesting article that appears to support the validity of hypnosis can be found by this study by Stanford University:-
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/report......-96.html
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » the dangers of hypnosis? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL