The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mailorder Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Katmando
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Katmando
Are there any good mail order magic shops and one that have catalogs?

Online is nice but is also nice have some thing to look at on go.

Thank you <><
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
The problem with mail order is that you need to know exactly what you want.

Hocus Pocus (hocus-hocus.com) is a good online shop and has great deals on their sales.
Diamond Magic (diamondsmagic.com) is great for books and videos.
ELMS (elmagicshop.com) has a good selection and good input as to what is good and what is not.
Denny & Lee (dennymagic.com) and Stevens Magic Emporium (stevensmagic.com) are also very good sources.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
If you are wanting a catalogue, then check out Abbott's or Hank Lee's. I believe Steven's has a catalogue too. Tannen's used to, but I don't know if the new owner will continue the catalogue or not.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Katmando
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Katmando
Thanks Alchimest I will check those out.

I was hoping more for an all inclusive catalog. Maybe one I could purchase or free with first order.

Thank you <><

Quote:
On 2004-11-30 19:06, Mister Mystery wrote:
If you are wanting a catalogue, then check out Abbott's or Hank Lee's. I believe Steven's has a catalogue too. Tannen's used to, but I don't know if the new owner will continue the catalogue or not.

Regan

Thanks regan. Ill check those out.

I went Abbotts and saw the santa and reindere pick and at first glance made me wander what kind of site I was going to. But that mat be what I am looking for.

Thanks <><
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Some of my fondest memories as a young boy was the anticipation of my package of Magical treats being delivered by the Mailman. If what I got was a ripoff (and some where) at least the anxious wait time and the thrill of opening the package when it finaly arrived far outweighed the money lost. Those where the days Smile.
At least today we have internet access that allows you to sometimes see the effect created so you are not left to your own imagination of what you think the effect will be. But then again as I said before, the thrill and anticipation was worth the price, for me.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
mrj
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
68 Posts

Profile of mrj
L & L Publishing has a good printed catalogue of their offerings they send to their customers following a purchase.

I still have a Browser's Den of Magic (Toronto) catalogue that is at least 25 years old. I remember paging through it as a kid and dreaming of purchasing the tricks. Looking at it now, it wasn't that big or thorough, but I recall spending countless hours reading it and re-reading it.

There is something special about the experience of holding and paging through a printed catalogue that cannot be duplicated with an on-line experience.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Iven writes: "Some of my fondest memories as a young boy was the anticipation of my package of Magical treats being delivered by the Mailman."

Yes, Yes, Yes! What memories THAT brings back!

It's summer vacation time, I'm at home (about 10 a.m.), and the mailman has just brought the latest D. Robbins catalog!

Wow!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hank Lee's may be the biggest catalog currently in the U.S.A. Being so big of course, it isn't free.

Once on their list you usually get flyers detailing new stuff several times a year

It's also a pretty big web site for Hank too. Many of the items there have pictures.

Tannen's in N.Y. also have a large hardcover catalog they sell - though how much of it is in stock is debateable Smile

Paul.
RonjoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island NY
138 Posts

Profile of RonjoMagic
Hello there,
Pete from ronjo.com here.

The thought of a real nice complete catalog is a nice thought but very unrealistic.

The trouble with a printed catalog is that it becomes obsolte the day it is printed.

Several years back, just before the internet took off big. We spent a ton of money and nearly three years to compile a catalog when it was finally done and back from the printers it was almost useless because so many new items have come in and so very many were discontinued or had material changes or price changes.

Think of how annoyed you would be if you saw something in our book and tried to order it only to find out we can't send it to you or it now cost more or you think it is made of wood and it arrives to you in plastic, etc.

We eventually got fed up with our catalog, we had to toss 3 years of work and several thousand dollars worht of books into the dumpster.

We have since tried to make a few small catalogs. They are faster to print up but because they are so small they do not show you what is really out there. And again, the same problems occur but on a smaller scale.

In just the past few months alone we have added at least 250 new products to our website and continue to add more new ones every week.

It really is impossible to get it in book form and keep it current.

Its unfortuatlly just not worth the time, money and effort that it takes to do it right.

Unless of course you don't mind a company that could only offer you a very limited selection of items of cheap beginer magic, non-collectables, soft cover reprints of old books and a handful of poular titled DVDs. You would enjoy reading it for a bit but you would outgrow it to fast and be looking for more instantly.

Just my thoughts.

Pete
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
U.s.toymagic has a catlog you can go to http://www.ustmagic.com
TheCaffeinator
View Profile
Regular user
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
126 Posts

Profile of TheCaffeinator
For Canadian shoppers, Morrissey Magic provides a print catalog, as well as a newsletter.

As an aside, shelved with my magic texts is a beautiful hardcover catalog from Tannens; I picked it up at some point in the late seventies or early eighties. I still enjoy picking it up and flipping through it, even if only for nostalgia.
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
TheCaffeninator, Do you know of any other Canadian dealers that produce catalogues?

Cheers
Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Hey don't forget Magic Inc. There used to be many many mail oder catalogs, a real joy to read through them. The internet has not necessarily improved things. Get Abbott's for sure their new version has just come out and Hank Lee's exceopt for the graphics which can get annoying at times is a veritible wealth of magic.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Whatever happened to the print catalogues from Perfect Magic in Montreal? Everything seems to be online now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mailorder Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL