The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Charlie McCarthy Dolls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I'm looking for a doll--specifically, a Charlie McCarthy doll--that will sit up straight on its own, without much support (other than, maybe, the back of a chair).

I've seen two variations of McCarthy dolls thus far, one where only the mouth moves and another where the head is attached to a stick and is able to turn.

Though it won't be used for ventriloquism, I'd like it be as versatile as possible (for a magic show); however, it still must meet the first requirement of being able to sit up straight on its own without much support.

If someone can post or PM with information as to which model is better for me or, whether I should go with something entirely different, I'd deeply and sincerely appreciate it.

In advance, thank you so much.

(I'm beginning to wonder whether anyone here actually owns a vent doll...)
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Both of the Charlie McCarthy figures I have aren't really able to sit up on their own. They need some support -- you could replace their bodies with a "life size" doll's or reinforce the bodies with an armature.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Thanks much Sean. I really appreciate it.

Any idea how you would reinforce the bodies with an armature (ie. how?)?
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Most of us, ventriloquist, do not own a Charlie McCarthy doll anymore. So sorry, we can't answer your question. Now we use several kind of vent figures, but not vent dolls! Smile

To reinforce the bodies, you can use something rigid, such as tin can, wood, thick cardboard/plastic, thick wire/cable, metal, fibreglass, heavy bottle, concrete and so on. Another way is to change the body filling with sand, dough, celastic, plasticine, rice, flour, sugar, salt, and so on. Or mix both ways! Smile

I'm sorry, this is a joke! Please don't take it seriously! Smile

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Any puppet with a regular body should be able to sit . You could get a Charlie with a control stick on it and then get a regular vent body which is not too costly , I know a man who makes break down bodies that fold up ,making them easy to pack .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Charlie McCarthy Dolls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL