The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fox: Secrets of Street Magicians Revealed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
First I would like to say if someone revealed 15 tricks and your career is ruined you need a new career, second it is the entertainment not the trick ( have you watched a movie more than once even if you knew the outcome) Third if you are a seller of magic you are doing the same thing just at a smaller level so quit your whinning and get back to the magic...

Jeff
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
Quote:
On 2002-09-09 11:22, Payne wrote:
Unless your David Blaine this show is of little concern to you. They do have a pretty interesting reveal of banachek's psychokinetic time using, well I won't spoil the surprise for you but you havt to see it to believe it. This show was so underwhelming that when it first aired no one in the magic community even cared how the masked idiot really was.

Does anyone know if anyone bothered to find out who he, or the other masked stage magician was?

I believe he reveled himself as "Valentino or Valentine"

I have it on Video..

BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of nums
It was (is) Valentino... the 876th most famous magician...

Nums

I guess that makes me 877(hahaha)
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
This may seem like a bad idea. But can't we all make a giant petition and send it to Fox? I would love this!

We have geusts all the time, they could sign it, I just think that this would be a good way to express our outrage.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2002-10-22 00:00, VMC_Alex wrote:
This may seem like a bad idea. But can't we all make a giant petition and send it to Fox? I would love this!

We have geusts all the time, they could sign it, I just think that this would be a good way to express our outrage.

If you send a note the network believes that so many people also feel this way but did not send anything, so 1 letter might be worth 100, But mainly they dont care due to the fact that that stuff sells ad space which is there real business and entertainment is just a side line
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The more attention you give it, the longer it takes for it to disappear...

Actually, if the ratings are any indication, hardly anyone is watching the repeats of the specials anyways...

However, to re-direct this thread a little bit... Which tricks would you NOT mind having 'exposed' on a hypothetical "Masked Magician" special?

I know tops on my list would be the 21-card trick. How about the linking paperclips? The ball and vase? Any others come to mind?

:firedevil:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I'd like to see the masked magician exposed. I bet if you put a real face on the guy instead of a hidden person... the general public would view the show completely different.
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
I believe he reveled himself as "Valentino"
I have it on Video..

BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2002-10-23 13:23, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

However, to re-direct this thread a little bit... Which tricks would you NOT mind having 'exposed' on a hypothetical "Masked Magician" special?

I know tops on my list would be the 21-card trick. How about the linking paperclips? The ball and vase? Any others come to mind?

:firedevil:

Thanks Phil as that would ruin my whole act hope you are happy....with a laugh

Jeff Smile
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Hmm... Now that I actually think hard about it. I think that this show does good things for us. People stat to understand. And they realize that not everything is smoke and mirrors. AND if people are in the mood for magic, good for us.
Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
We have all watched the shows ... how many of you can honestly say they knew every single illusion that was shown ?
I know I learned a few things. I always thought that the knife throwing thing was real. I never would have thought of it as a magic trick.
Can you think of the stir this has created in the "Knife Throwing Café" website. Al these knife throwers, they practised their skills for hours, killing lots of people along the way, finally got the throwing down to an art, and along comes this masked idiot that tells people that it's just a magic trick ... and we are worried ?

Now, as for remembering how it works, that's a different story. When I see the illusion performed, I will remember how it was done, but your average laymen doesn't have a clue.

I know that many of you have taped this show and watched it many times. We're magicians, we watch and learn, or we just watch because we're interrested in magic.
Now how many laymen do you think have taped this show ??? None ...

On another note, I got two kids, the youngest is 4 years old and he really loves magic. He wakes me up at 6.30 in the morning and says 'Take a card, any card'.
His favoutite casettes to watch on TV aren't from Disney, but it's Magic's Biggest Secrets. He must have watched those shows at least 100 times.

Steve
Smile
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
Every time somebody asks me what I think of the Fox shows (thinking they'll get an angry response I guess) I just say that most everything they show is stuff most everybody already knows anyway (in some cases!) and since everything I do close-up is my own invention...if I see any of it exposed on tv I'll know I finally made the big time!!!
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2002-09-12 19:11, Greg Arce wrote:
I once wrote this up when the Masked Magician did his thing: Don't worry. This will all pass (no pun intended). When the first Fox series aired a few years ago I made it a point to gather some friends to watch the shows. I asked them about their thoughts and what they saw. Then about a month later I asked the same group to tell me what they saw. Guess what? Most barely remembered the secrets and couldn't even remember all the tricks that were displayed. Calm down and continue to perform. This show will quickly fade from most of the public's mind. I'm sure they are more fascinated by Anna Nicole than our little secrets.
Greg

Heard of a great little experiment that was very similar. A group of magicians were invited to watch a show and then 2-3hrs after the show were asked to describe the tricks (not the method, but the presentation). Their recollection was not very accurate.
Moral: Even if they do know the secret, your presentation is what makes the trick and this is harder to copy!

PS. Secrets revealed is still my least favourite program.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
While i agree that the whole special was in poor taste, and frankly fox could have made millions if they had produced "Secrets of Enron Revealed" a year ago, I do not feel that the special had that damaging an effect. After the first time it had been aired My friend Johnathan Blades and i went out to various locations and did nothing but the tricks shown on the special.

While we skipped the fly and dove bits overall everyone was still fooled, and most importantly, people who saw the show were still fooled. At most a few people remembered how one trick was done and then only vaugely.

The point is- I saw the on CNN how terrorist would be able to make a bomb with household products about two weeks ago. And for the life of me i cannot remember the first thing about how it would be done or even one ingredient for it. The same holds true for people that watched this special, all they remember is that its a trick and not real magic. Well people have known that for years and my business, and other magicians, is still going strong.

And dealing with that one guy who studied the special just to screw with magicians is part of what seperates beginers from profesionals. Not to sound harsh but that guy occurs with or without FOX, and as performers who present the unexpected we have to learn to deal with it as well.

Hoping you can avoid that guy,
Mat
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fox: Secrets of Street Magicians Revealed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL