The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Change Bag Alternatives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I'm designing a routine right now and I've started with the effect I want to produce. Now that I have my vision, I'm working on the method... I would greatly appreciate as many options as you can point me to as an alternative to a change bag--that will provide the same function during performance.

The device will be used for an ungimmicked blendo-ish routine on stage, and it will be necessary for me to retrieve the gimmick from a bag/hat/box or something, so I can clean up from a previous effect smoothly. Thanks in advance.

Joe
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Just please do not use the butterfly net type of change bag....(*shivers*)
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 14:44, Rob Johnston wrote:
Just please do not use the butterfly net type of change bag....(*shivers*)

Actually, I'm hoping to find something that looks nothing like a change bag, but can be used to switch the items for me. I don't mind if there's some handling involved, as long as I can work out motivations for my actions.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The Devil's Hankerchief aka Devil's Napkin is a excellent alternative.

There's a thread and some links here.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
BerkleyJL:

The Devils Napkin is a great alternative. Keep in mind that (for the stage) it can be a larger one.

I had one made once that was about 24in square.

Bob
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
OK I think I found something I want to use, but noone here mentioned it. The advertising says it will do what I need. Perhaps there are some "gotchas" that caused you to not mention the Lewis Cone?

Is there any reason I shouldn't use one?
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You might find a simple cone design in one of the Tarbells. I know I saw this in one of my books.

If you think the cone fits your style then use it. The cone is basically for silks.

Personally, I like the Napkin. More versatile. Looks less gimmicky in my opinion. But that's me.
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
I have a knit back which is a two way force bag because there are two slots in it. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Paper bags or cereal boxes can be modified for this use and certainly don't look like a change bag. They usually end with being torn so a new one has to be made for each performance.
There's also the 2-load bucket. Carries some pretty impressive loads. These are commercially available from magic shops.
Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
I have seen this done with newspaper. Use about 4 double sheets. Concealed silk is between 2 pages cemented together. Visible silk is put in newspaper between 2 pages opened out but rubber-cemented on edges. A little press and visible silk is now out of sight....poke hole in paper to produce switched silk. Experiment.
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I just read about a clear force bag. I don't know if that's what you're using the aparatus for, but if so, I'm sure it can be made. 3 layers of clear plastic made like a bag. Great for forcing the right colour of foam ball and it's clear for all to see that no trickery is involved. ;-)
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
Why not use a mirror glass? It looks fair, because it is transparent, and yet it does the switch, just as you need it. The transparency can even be a motivation for using it: "I put it into this glass, so you can always keep track of it." The glass can be taken out of a hat or whatever you like. (A clear change/forcing bag won't work with a blendo, I guess.) What more do you need?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I once purchased a cloth top hat from a David Ginn lecture, that serves as a change bag somewhat. You can show it empty and then produce a stuffed bunny. Another item I purchased on ebay which probably wouldn't suit you, but may for the females reading this post is a purse/change bag that looks like the real thing and not a prop.

I think your imagination is endless regarding what you can use, things like Tom or Pete mentioned. What about a briefcase? That may work too.

Good luck to you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Change Bag Alternatives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL