The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
We are looking for a new Illusion to add to our show, we thought some kind of levitation or broom suspension. We want something that is different so not the standard broom suspension but like the one the Pendragons do where there is one broom or sword and your assistant changes angles. We need something that is somewhat angle proof.
We have a modern art that if for our other assistant and we want a trick that is for our new assistant. we are planning on buildind the illusion so if you know were we can get the plans please include that.
Thank you for your help!!!
Grand Illusions
Smile Smile Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Smile Let me see if I can get this right... you want plans for a new, very different floating effect that you want to build yourself, cut out all the royalty fees and performance rights fees involved, not to mention placing the life of someone else in danger so you can save a buck and not get the job done right...

Now, if you want to get real here's how it works...

LEVITATIONS & SUSPENSIONS are amongst the most dangerous and difficult illusions to put together RIGHT. One noted knock-off contractor as an example, sells a Broom Suspension for under $1,000.00 -- IT ONLY SUPPORTS 85 LBS. Put a full sized 120 lb girl on it and you risk snapping the gimmick (seen it happen! The girl broke two ribs, her shoulder was shattered and jaw got disloacted... we wont talk about the girl that "bounced" off a cheap sword suspension.)

Yes, I'm reaming you on this one. I hate seeing people get hurt because some magician was being cheap with his props just to strut his massive ego all over the place.

Angle Proof was another point you stated... The Broom is about your only answer... it has a few things to watch out for though but, there are variants you might want to research BUT BUY A PRO MODEL! I'll highly recommend Chalet or Bill Smith on this. Another piece to consider is either the Floating Shiva or a Siros Suspension... both are rare, cool and nearly impossible in the mind of the average observer. I've used both... the Shiva could prove a prime piece for a small show (think of it as being a very grown-up version of the old Flying Carpet)

The Siros, if you lack body strength and an exceptionally strong back, might not work for you... but it is a gorgeous piece of business and I'd suggest going to John Gaughan or Bill Smith to get one made right.

If it's plans you want get the Encyclopedia of Suspensions & Levitations from Hades Publications. You'll find more info there than you'll find just about anywhere.

Best of luck!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
As an illusion builder, I would have to agree with Darmoe on this. Safety is foremost. You are not building a doll house or a sub trunk here, anytime you are placing an assistant in a questionable position, I highly recommend that you go to the best made model that you can buy. Johnny Gaughn and Bill Smith have built a lot of suspensions and levitations, and your money would be very well spend talking with either of these two gentlemen. You may save a few bucks building it yourself, but when that accident happens (and it most probably will) you will be paying for it for a long long time. I also have seen girls fall off of cheaply made broom suspensions. If cash is short right now, use another prop while you save up to get the right broom outfit.
magically
marty
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
~POST REMOVED BY CREATOR/
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Hey Darmoe, I have noticed in the past that you don't have much to say about Lighter than Air, or H T C as you call it. I have one, never used it yet as I want to redesign the "look" so it is not just a floating table with girl on it effect but,why don't you like it?

Thanks for your input.
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

I am not looking for a rip off illusion and am do not need a levitation ar broom suspension that is what came to mind and i have called a magic store to get prices for it. i am looking for illusion ideas and hopfilly i can get the plans and rights to make it. i do not want to steel but i do purchased plans and rights for illusions i just need ideas for what illusions would be good.
sooooooo sorry for making it sound bad before

hope this helps clear things up
Grand Illusions Smile Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Never thought you were stealing...Just suggested doing something new. I feel we all have made some valuble suggestions......What else were you looking for?
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 19:07, Kent Messmer wrote:
Hey Darmoe, I have noticed in the past that you don't have much to say about Lighter than Air, or H T C as you call it. I have one, never used it yet as I want to redesign the "look" so it is not just a floating table with girl on it effect but,why don't you like it?

Thanks for your input.

As a "working Piece" it was great (in its day) but still, it wieghs a ton! At the same time, it has some interesting ways of applying it... been a while, but I think I remember some of the twists we've done.

I know Dean Hankey got tired of lugging his around and built it into his portable stage... a very wise move!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
That's funny my lighter than air is (was) Dean Hankeys.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-16 14:08, Kent Messmer wrote:
That's funny my lighter than air is (was) Dean Hankeys.

O.k. Plans get changed... I leave REno for a couple of months and BANG! Dean changes course...

Did you get the Dancing Shoes and some of that other cool stuff he had for sale (including one of the stages)?

(BTW the term Heavier Than S*** belongs to Dean... not me Smile )
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

No price for our un-named illusion has been set yet...its jsut too early in the game for that...I'll just let you know once a prototype has been built......
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-16 19:43, reedrc wrote:
No price for our un-named illusion has been set yet...its jsut too early in the game for that...I'll just let you know once a prototype has been built......

Common Ryan you know it should be on par with the Flying Smile
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Darmo, No, only the LTA. I wanted more but no money honey. Oh well.

Were the dancing shoes cool. I did not know much about them?
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

not quite flying Darmoe Smile heh......I wish....
Actually we set the price between 10 and 15 thousand dollars......... Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-16 20:19, Kent Messmer wrote:
Darmo, No, only the LTA. I wanted more but no money honey. Oh well.

Were the dancing shoes cool. I did not know much about them?

Deano rarely performed the Shoes the way they were designed for Marshall... I got to see them the first night Marsh did them at the Castle (I was sitting with Diane Zimmerman who, for obvious reasons, was a bit curious Smile ) All I can say is that the Shoes and the Stacking Boxes are two very cool pieces. Then again, I always wanted the Queen of Hearts (which ended up in Lance Show no too long ago.)

Hey Ryan... Email me!
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

thank you, i have an idea of what we might get i need to check some things out!!!!
i will let you know what happens Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
THOMAS BELL
View Profile
New user
TENERIFE,CANARY ISLAND,
4 Posts

Profile of THOMAS BELL
Basically, at the end of the day, it is best to stick with a professional company who deal with suspensions and levitations than to attempt to construct one at home in the garage.

It is too dangerous to risk the life of your assistant on a home-made device just to save a buck or two.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Besides... you cant sue yourself now can you?
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
I was going to build the suspension that is in Mark Wilsons' Cyclopedia of Magic. I have a machinest and welder who will fabricate the steel for the gimmick...are you suggesting that the only people who can build the illusion are those whom you mention?
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The builders listed aren't the only ones who can build a levitation or suspension, but there are bound to be complications when the fabricators are not illusion builders. For instance, I had a local welding and steel fabricator make a gimmick for a flying carpet illusion. I used the plans I got from Mak Magic. The top plate was not flat so the seat tilted a little. It doesn't sound too bad, except that I wanted to use a lazy susan for the seat and it wouldn't stay facing the front!

It's not that the steel place did it wrong. They just didn't know that it had to be almost perfectly flat. Since I didn't specify that, they wanted to charge to have a new plate made and re-welded on. There went any savings over buying the gimmick directly from Mak!

That's just an example. Illusion builders know what are the potential problems and what the gimmick has to do.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL