The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope to start with? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The two main variables for me are if the rope is to be cut or not. If I'm cutting it then yes, a double braid or kernmantle is better as it makes it possible to "core" the rope which allows you to use the sheath of the rope for the effect retaining the size but making it easier to cut. If it is for the Professors Nightmare I prefer a 1/2" single braid nylon which tends to wear better for the friction of the rope sliding on the same area over and over. Most "Magician's Rope" creates more friction and tends to wear out faster. Then again, it's just money. I don't even consider Fiber Optics... I just go back to thee originator George Sands and his brilliant Ropesational/Sandsational from which it was all taken from.
Ray Pierce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Memory-Jah, what are you going to say, when someone ask you, why is your rope core so white. I never seen rope with a whit core. Rope is an everyday ordinary product, and as such, it is meant to be used in the real world. As long it keeps the object tied down, that is all that matters for the consumer.

Where have you seen cored rope that is all the same white color inside and out. It is very strange that you expect it to be that way, when initially you indicated you had no idea where to even purchase rope, from you previous posts here on The Café.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OK I will probably "shock" a few of you...

When I started with "Scotty's Sucker C&R Rope" (one dollar from Percy Abbott) For my dollar, I received a page of instructions (printed--NOT mimeographed!). I had to buy a hank (50') of nice white rope. I think it cost $.50! (and, Percy honored his catalog's "promise: ("We pay the postage)

It was "kernmantel" rope (I think that's a German word or term). Kernmantel (type) rope is a core of strands, encased in a woven sheath. I think I explained that last year in this same forum. The rope was made of cotton (core, and, sheath. BOTH WERE WHITE COTTON.

When the price of cotton "jumped", about 20 + years ago (possibly earlier than that) rope manufacturers reduced the number of cotton strands inside the sheath to keep the price of the finished product down. This reduced somewhat the diameter of the rope. Magicians didn't care much as they were just going to cut it (and restore it!) or, possibly tie knots in it. They weren't going to "tie their pet elephant to a tree with it", so strength wasn't important.

Years later, when I was on the road, and doing, then, a combination of Professors Nightmare, Cut & Restored (3 times) routine (somewhat similar to Pop Haydn's excellent "Mongolian", I would buy spools of rope, enough for the entire season (average 400 shows). A spool is/was 300'. I used about 7' per show. You can do the math yourself. My pal, the late Denny Loomis, who had worked with me to create the routine, started doing it. He was doing schools. also. I think Percy Abbott stared in disbelief at Denny's rope order. (It was the largest rope order that Abbott's had ever had! (At that time, I was getting my rope from Magic Inc.)

Cotton prices continued to climb. Most of the "magic" rope available in the USA was made by the FORSYTHE TWINE AND CORDAGE CO., of FORSYTHE, GEORGIA. Many of us pro's, if we were near Forsythe, would stop at the factory. and, pick up "mill ends", cheap. The "ends" varied in length, but, were cheap enough (priced by the pound!) than we didn't care. The last time I passed through Forsythe, and, planned to stock up, the factory had closed! Cotton prices had climbed. New owners planned to reopen and make "cheap" macrame cord.

Then, I made a deal with Frances Marshall to trade her my left over rope at the end of each season, for spools of new rope. My left over rope was already cut in PN lengths. I tell the rest of the story in my book. A few years later, when I was "living" in Colon, I made the same deal with Greg Bordner.

Cotton prices have continued to rise. I suspect that the rope factories have substituted a different material as the filler in magicians rope.

So! Memory-Jah! the audience, I'm sure, doesn't care what color the core of the rope is!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I use rope from the Baronian Trading Company that has been mentioned many times above. They have a sample package where you can order some from each size. Or you can order a 25 foot section of what you think you will like best and ask for samples of the others to be included. I didn't ask and still got short six inch samples of their other sizes.

Very important also. If you do any cutting of rope as part of the routine, and especially if you have volunteers cut the rope, make sure you get some good rope scissors. BTC sells a great pair of scissors. Cuts through the rope every time. I used to use cutters from Lowes which worked great for me but some volunteers still had trouble. My kids would have to cut the rope two or three times with those cutters. The rope scissors from BTC have never failed. My kids couldn't even get them to not cut the rope. Great scissors and well worth the cost.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Good scissors are important! Watching the magician "hacking" and "chewing" the rope with an inadequate pair of scissors, becomes ludicrous.

For years, magic dealers sold a pair of scissors with short blunt nose blades, that looked like "tin snips".

Jay was "playing" with the VISH NU technique of cutting and restoring a rope, and I asked him where e got the scissors that he was using. He said, "They're Clauss #468 moly." They were about the same size overall as those most dealers sold, BUT, the blades were a bit over 3" long. They looked like scissors!

I grabbed a scrap of rope and Jay's scissors. They cut the rope "like a hot knife cuts through butter"!
There was one pair in the drawer, down in the stock room. I bought them. That was about 1969, and, they have seen thousands of audiences. I think I paid about $20. then. Odds are that they cost more, now. If you're in a large city that has a store specializing in scissors, they can probably order a pair.

I've seen other brands since, and, most likely they will do the job. Take a hunk of rope with you to the store, and test them.

wwhokie1 has recommended a pair sold by BARONIAN. I'm retired, and not going to buy a pair to compare them with mine! "Howsomever", wwh1 aint no liar! Thanks wwh1 for the tip!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, dbaronian wrote:
Markus,
Why do you feel you have to change the color of the inside of the rope? Who advertised to you saying the inside of the rope is white? Did you see the rope before you bought it? Did you ask anyone on here about the rope before you bought it? If you're so unhappy with the rope, contact Penguin and return it to them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's fine that you don't like them and I'm sorry you feel that way. But because the filler is not white shouldn't be the reason you tell people on here that you feel ripped off. There are countless magicians that use my ropes and are very happy with them. Next time do your research before you buy something.

This particular post concerns me. If you are the owner / represent a company and this is how you treat a customer who has, in my opinion, a pretty honest complaint about your product, I'm not sure I want to do business with you. You may want to think about how you word things on a public site like this as everyone who reads this is a potential customer.

Based on your website, I would assume the ropes are all white inside and out. This may or may not affect certain tricks and routines but I would not know to ask that question when buying rope.

If you had explained on this forum why some ropes have a different color core, and what to order if you don't want that core, it would have been much more helpful, and I bet if you had offered to send the OP a free sample pack or something you would have had a customer for life.

I know you have a lot of high-end clients... and I have personally seen your rope and it looks lovely. I guess I saw a hollow rope because it was all white.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Actually it does show the different color core on their site.... I've only looked at the hollow rope on their site.

Wanted to clear that up from my post above. The photos do show it on the website.
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hi Thomas,
I appreciate your comments. I had reached out to Markus in a PM and offered to help him out with the ropes even though he didn't buy from me directly but did buy my product after-all, but he never responded. I think my response was justified based on his comments. If someone doesn't like my product, it's ok, everyone has his/her own preference and opinion. But to call out that he was ripped off and discredit BTC is uncalled for. You can ask anyone on here that has bought rope from me that I have treated all of the with respect and professionalism.

Dany Baronian
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I understand your frustration. He was a little rough on you! ha. But I did feel a little bad for him too... this whole thread he's been debating about which type of rope to order.
While not happy for him, I'm glad I read this thread, I learned something about rope! Would never have thought to ask what the color of the interior is.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2016, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, dbaronian wrote:
Markus,
Why do you feel you have to change the color of the inside of the rope? Who advertised to you saying the inside of the rope is white? Did you see the rope before you bought it? Did you ask anyone on here about the rope before you bought it? If you're so unhappy with the rope, contact Penguin and return it to them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's fine that you don't like them and I'm sorry you feel that way. But because the filler is not white shouldn't be the reason you tell people on here that you feel ripped off. There are countless magicians that use my ropes and are very happy with them. Next time do your research before you buy something.

This particular post concerns me. If you are the owner / represent a company and this is how you treat a customer who has, in my opinion, a pretty honest complaint about your product, I'm not sure I want to do business with you. You may want to think about how you word things on a public site like this as everyone who reads this is a potential customer.

Based on your website, I would assume the ropes are all white inside and out. This may or may not affect certain tricks and routines but I would not know to ask that question when buying rope.

If you had explained on this forum why some ropes have a different color core, and what to order if you don't want that core, it would have been much more helpful, and I bet if you had offered to send the OP a free sample pack or something you would have had a customer for life.

I know you have a lot of high-end clients... and I have personally seen your rope and it looks lovely. I guess I saw a hollow rope because it was all white.

ThomasR, you are being over critical and insulted dbarionian on this matter. He had nothing to do with the initial purchase, and if you think asking question is putting off someone, you have a lot to learn.

In the history of magic, the core color of rope has never come up. Your hind sight may be 20/20, and in your case, why didn't you tell the Original Poster this information to begin with. If you think everyone else should have all the answers before they are brought up, you failed to do the same. You should have known to go put this information out, even though you only looked at cored rope.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I'm sorry for sharing my opinion and thoughts.

I didn't share my knowledge with the OP because I didn't have that knowledge until it happened to him and he reported it here.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn

I use Baronian BTC-4 rope in my routine, and tin snips instead of scissors. They are not sharp--they don't have a sharp edge--but they will cut through thick rope like butter. They also have a rounded point that won't poke a hole in your back pants pocket.

I use about 15' in each show. The longer the rope is, the better the Prof Nightmare plays, and the more life and size is added to the performance. I have played this routine for very large audiences--9000 people when I opened for Conway Twitty--and it always plays well.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I used to use the camirand elite rope and it was excellent. Hard to find. I got some of the Baronian 10mm rope and this is the best rope I have ever used. Makes the moves for fiber optics or any routine work like a dream
Harpo1212
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Harpo1212
Best rope I've bought was from Michael Finneny's web-site. Nice to work with!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » What rope to start with? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL