The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funniest movie lines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
There are some great lines in movies. Some that are often more famous than the movie itself. Maybe we could start a list

From the movie: They Live....Rowdy Roddy Piper...."I'm here for two things; to kick *** and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
From The Coconuts:
Groucho: Did anyone ever tell you that you look like the Prince of Wales? Not the present Prince of Wales of course, but one of the old Wales, and speaking of Wales I mean Whales, and I know a whale when I see one.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
And this is relevant to performance of comedy in magic how exactly?
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

It doesn't have to be relevant to comedy in magic, just comedy. Magic is often just a prop in comedy. Jokes are jokes.

Inspector Clouseau: Kato, you turned my apartment into a Chinese nookie factory!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Ah I see... so this, "Now That's Funny', section of the forum, that's supposed to be for a, "General discussion on comedy magic", doesn't require threads within it to be relevant to comedy magic or comedy in magic.

In that case here's my shopping list; It's not relevant to comedy magic, but that obviously doesn't matter. Come to think of it there's a good chance that it'll be funnier than most of the posts that will appear on this thread.

Cat food
Toothpaste
Cheese
Milk
Biscuits
Tea bags
Eggs
Muesli
Pasta
Salad
Grapes
Neal Austin

bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, Sealegs wrote:
Ah I see... so this, "Now That's Funny', section of the forum, that's supposed to be for a, "General discussion on comedy magic", doesn't require threads within it to be relevant to comedy magic or comedy in magic.

In that case here's my shopping list; It's not relevant to comedy magic, but that obviously doesn't matter. Come to think of it there's a good chance that it'll be funnier than most of the posts that will appear on this thread.

Cat food
Toothpaste
Cheese
Milk
Biscuits
Tea bags
Eggs
Muesli
Pasta
Salad
Grapes

And apparently you are going to do your best to make sure it's that way right?

The study of theatre, art, or comedy in any way, shape, or form is never a bad thing. At the risk of sounding like I am taking part in what appears to be a close minded discussion I would point out that by discussing lines from other sources other than magic may broaden the mind.
Inspiration can come from anywhere at any time, perhaps reading the lines from one of these movies may inspire someone to actually watch them. Oh then they might be inspired by a past potential comic genius and create thier own comedy.
So I guess this thread has everything to do with comedy and magic.
Though I am not sure if your grocery list was an attempt at sarcasm or comedy but I did find it quite amusing.

I certainly hope that you will take part in this thread often.

And I am certainly glad Muesli was on that list because it sounds like you need the fiber Smile
See your joke inspired me. Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Sorry that they didn't build the world to your liking, sealegs.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Actually Father Photius I find the world mostly very likeable. I just don't understand why this stuff is posted here, in a section of the Café that's supposed to be for discussions about comedy in magic.

There's another section of the Café called, "Not very magical, still..." which is, "a place to discuss things that have nothing to do with magic" and that would be a more appropriate place for this sort of thread that is nothing to do with magic, or comedy or comedy magic.

To Bigfoot,Yes, I am indeed trying to do my best to point out that this thread's subject matter, like all of the similar threads in this section of the Café, has nothing to do with comedy in magic. I realise they give the people who post in them some kind of weird enjoyment and my objective isn't to stop that. It's to try and point out that these threads belong elsewhere and have nothing to do with what his part of the Café is for and about.

I agree with you that, "The study of theatre, art, or comedy in any way, shape, or form is never a bad thing." but none of these threads, including this one, is in any way a study or discussion of theatre, art or even comedy.

I also agree that inspiration can come from anywhere, but it seems to me to be blatantly apparent that the posts in these threads aren't being made with any intention of being inspiring and aren't taken as being inspirational any more than my shopping list is. That they can, in theory, be inspiring can, in theory, also be said about my shopping list. It too can, by the reasoning you put forward, be said to have "everything to do about comedy and magic" and yet this is clearly in any practical sense complete nonsense.

In my opinion, what threads like this one does is clog up the front page of this section of the Café so actual threads on comedy in magic get pushed out of the way. That I think has a net loss, rather than a net gain, for the purpose for which this section of the Café was formed.

Part of the reason I bother to make posts like this one and the other posts I have made here in this section of the Café is that I value comedic presentations of magic... Comedy in magic has been very good to me and it has earned me living my entire life. It's an incredibly hard thing to do well and it's something few are able to do effectively. I like the idea of trying to help make comedy in magic generally better... better for those performing it and in turn better for those that end up seeing it. And a forum like this one if used for that purpose, can, I believe, albeit in a very small way, help to make that more likely, in a way that threads like this one don't and can't. Even worse is the thought that some aspiring magician(s) looking to put comedy into their magic comes across this section of the Café and see these sorts of threads as some kind of yard stick of what comedy in magic is about

So why not post these threads in the "Not very magical, still..." section? That way the contributors still get whatever it is they get from making these posts, the readers of these posts still get from them whatever it is they get from them, and this section of the Café is left free and made available for the purpose it was set up for. Is that not a reasonable position that creates a win win that's beneficial for everyone?

Just my opinion.
Neal Austin

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Then post threads that address things you are interested in and respect others rights to post threads that reflect their interest.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Since when did expressing an opinion equate to being disrespectful to someone else rights?

How does expressing the view that these sorts of threads are fine but would be... better placed elsewhere; and that they don't serve this section of the Café; that they are detrimental to the stated aim of this section of the Café and that they are generally not good for comedy magic, amount to not respecting the rights of others to post threads that reflect their interests?

Like you, I and anyone else is free to post whatever we like as long as it's in keeping with the rules of the Café. I am, in fact, doing just as you suggest... I am posting in threads that address things I'm interested in. I am giving my opinion and trying to persuade by reasoned argument.

I'd be interested to hear why these threads aren't created in the section of the Café that is given over as, "a place to discuss things that have nothing to do with magic" as I can't understand why those like you who post in them feel they are better placed here.
Neal Austin

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Nobody's saying you can't express them, just that they don't agree with them.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I haven't said, suggested or even hinted that anyone is saying I can't express my opinions. Stating this in a unconnected random statement is nice to know I guess... but it's as relevant to anything anyone's posted in this thread as a weather forecast.

And surely it's obvious that telling someone that they ought to, "...respect the rights of others to post...", is not the same as saying, you don't agree with them. Father Photos, you did the former not the latter.

And... I'd still be interested to hear why these threads aren't created in the section of the Café that is given over as, "a place to discuss things that have nothing to do with magic" or why those who post in them feel they are better placed here.
Neal Austin

Rob.m
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Rob.m
There are a few tricks out at the moment were you could use a funny line from the films.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
In comedy "timing" is everything. This holds true no matter where you use it whether doing magic, stand up, or just telling a joke around the water cooler. The truth is that for some an overlooked aspect in adding comedy to thier magic is timing.

Ergo! Sometimes studying the use of comedy outside your chosen area can be insightful. I have often found that watching people like Groucho Marks, Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, and many others has helped me to understand how to deliver comedic material.

I have watched so many people perform magic and do a great job but everytime they would deliver a line it fell short, not a single laugh. My thought was when posting this that people would discuss how lines from movies can inspire people in thier magic. How timing is used to make magic funny. I never gave it a thought that the debate would be that this thread might be in opposition.

Generally when asked "what is your favorite line from a movie" it is generally a comedic line. By posting under "now that's funny" it would further indicate that humerous lines is what I was after.

Sealegs; thank you for making your point in a tactful and eligant fashion. So now I would like to ask you directly; has a line from a movie ever inspired your comedic understanding that might later be applied to your magic? If so I would certainly love to hear what it was.

_
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

"Now theres a man with an open mind. You can feel the breeze from here." G. Marx
"I could dance with you until the cows come home, on second thought I'll dance with the cows until you come home." G. Marx
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I guess that takes in most of you." G. Marx

Woman: "It's a gala day"
Groucho:"Well a gal a day is enough for me, I don't know if I could handle anymore." G. Marx
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, bigfoot wrote:
In comedy "timing" is everything. This holds true no matter where you use it whether doing magic, stand up, or just telling a joke around the water cooler. The truth is that for some an overlooked aspect in adding comedy to thier magic is timing.

Ergo! Sometimes studying the use of comedy outside your chosen area can be insightful. I have often found that watching people like Groucho Marks, Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, and many others has helped me to understand how to deliver comedic material.

I have watched so many people perform magic and do a great job but everytime they would deliver a line it fell short, not a single laugh. My thought was when posting this that people would discuss how lines from movies can inspire people in thier magic. How timing is used to make magic funny. I never gave it a thought that the debate would be that this thread might be in opposition.

Thanks for the clarification Bigfoot. This objective wouldn't have had any opposition from me at all. I think it's very apt and a good topic. It's just unfortunate that the opening post didn't readily suggest or point to this goal... it read more as an invitation to simply post lines from movies in similar fashion to the other non-sequitur 'game threads' that, ironically, litter this 'Now That's funny! section of the Café.

But re your question: "... has a line from a movie ever inspired your comedic understanding that might later be applied to your magic?" ... I now wish I could think of something that would allow me to say, Yes!... But while there are all sorts of cinematic, filmic and theatrical devices that movies use that can be applied by magicians to create or enhance comedy moments... but I'm hard pressed to think of any individual lines from movies that have inspired my comedic understanding in a way that's then fed directly into my magic. Smile

If I think of one I'll let you know though Smile
Neal Austin

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

"Give me fresh air, golf clubs and a beautiful partner and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air." J. Benny
"If you must make a noise, make it quietly." Stan Laurel
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Bigfoot wrote:
Quote:
"My thought was when posting this [thread was] that people would discuss how lines from movies can inspire people in their magic."

The best laid plans ...
Neal Austin

bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
"Best laid plans of mice...."

Slartybartfast ....hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

And now for something completely different - Monty Python
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funniest movie lines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL