The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Books about stage props. (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2016, Rainboguy wrote:
A LOT of Magicians learned a LOT from Tarbell!

Agreed! There are lots of books out there that describe the mechanics of some very cool props. But, when it comes to actual workshop plans, the field narrows significantly. Anyone wanting to build their own props would do well to start with a knowledge of workshop skills first. Once that is part of the arsenal, drawing up your own plans is pretty simple.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
Anyone wanting to build their own props would do well to start with a knowledge of workshop skills first. Once that is part of the arsenal, drawing up your own plans is pretty simple.

Absolutely! Building magic props is just one specialty, but the basic skills are invaluable. There was so much I didn't know when I started building magic props, and the results showed even if I didn't want to admit it. Smile If I had it to do all over again, I would take a class somewhere or hang out with a "real" woodworker for a while.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2016, George Ledo wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2016, Michael Baker wrote:
Anyone wanting to build their own props would do well to start with a knowledge of workshop skills first. Once that is part of the arsenal, drawing up your own plans is pretty simple.

Absolutely! Building magic props is just one specialty, but the basic skills are invaluable. There was so much I didn't know when I started building magic props, and the results showed even if I didn't want to admit it. Smile If I had it to do all over again, I would take a class somewhere or hang out with a "real" woodworker for a while.

Nobody is born with knowledge... perhaps maybe an insatiable appetite for it though. I cobbled together props out of what I could find using any method or technique that seemed befitting at the moment. Some things worked, some did not. Some looked good, some did not. The more I tried, the more I learned. The more I failed, the more I learned. The more I watched, the more I learned. The more I read, the more I learned. The more I asked, the more I learned. I'm still learning.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Oh, yeah! Me too.

Hmmmm... how does that go? Smile

The more you learn the more you know.
The more you know the more you forget.
The more you forget the less you know.

Where in the world did I read that?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2016, George Ledo wrote:
Oh, yeah! Me too.

Hmmmm... how does that go? Smile

The more you learn the more you know.
The more you know the more you forget.
The more you forget the less you know.

Where in the world did I read that?

I forgot. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Books about stage props. (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL