The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Baby book by John Morton (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hektormagic
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of hektormagic
Creator of the Monster Card, Multi Lock, Mystery Calendar, Houdini Spirit Board, Houdini Pendulum, Houdini House Spirit Set, UniPeek, Love Connection and Mental Card.
Find more on my website: http://hektormagic.com/products
sillymagician
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
70 Posts

Profile of sillymagician
I reviewed the Baby Book. Here is my review.

Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for the review.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have his "sports" version of the baby book. Same method, but utilizes different sports on each page (soccer, tennis, hockey, baseball etc.)
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The Baby Book prop is now being marketed by Magic Warehouse in the USA, but they must not have bought their quantity at a good wholesale price; they sell it for $85.00, which is almost twice what it costs in the two European sites that market it it.

When you add shipping from Europe, the difference is not that stark. But I bought three from MindFX, and the shipping was not much more than for one. The use of three in Morton's Fool Us performance convinced me that the use of three makes for a major effect for a larger audience.

George
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
This looks nice and seems clever and high quality but I don't see the mentalism or magical aspect here. It is presented as a pseudo memory test and I don't see how it can create a magical impression on spectators. Of course, we magicians and mentalists, sell miracles that we don't really perform because somehow people want to believe in them and they want to be fooled by the unexplainable.
If we manage to make them believe that we have a good memory, it's not technically a miracle anymore, just a challenge that could be achieved by anyone spending time on his memory skills.
Do we want as magicians to make our spectators believe that we achieved something that they could also achieve with practice? I cannot see the entertainment value in this philosophy.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, Gaijin wrote:
This looks nice and seems clever and high quality but I don't see the mentalism or magical aspect here. It is presented as a pseudo memory test and I don't see how it can create a magical impression on spectators. Of course, we magicians and mentalists, sell miracles that we don't really perform because somehow people want to believe in them and they want to be fooled by the unexplainable.
If we manage to make them believe that we have a good memory, it's not technically a miracle anymore, just a challenge that could be achieved by anyone spending time on his memory skills.
Do we want as magicians to make our spectators believe that we achieved something that they could also achieve with practice? I cannot see the entertainment value in this philosophy.

It's a development (with permission) of Stephen Young's Visionary 3. That may better suit you.

Barry
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Tis not essentially a memory demonstration, though I suppose you could use the prop that way. It is essentially more like a "body language" demonstration; they tell the symbols on the bottom page and you know what symbol is on the top page.

Memory demonstrations and body-language demonstrations do play a role in many mentalism acts--as openers. As Lee Earle and Chuck Hickok taught us, you can. begin with an effect that features a plausible power, then shift the audience toward the less plausible--like mind reading or influencing behavior or a prediction.

George
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2022, sillymagician wrote:
I reviewed the Baby Book. Here is my review.

Hey Mike
Another fantastic and honest review! Thank you very much!
I'm now much more interested in this item than I was before...even though it 'fooled' P&T.
Magic Unlimited
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Magic Unlimited
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, bowers wrote:
Does anyone own this and can commit on it?
Todd

Dear Todd:

I have it and I've been working with oit for several weeks now. Gotta say my impression is much different from the comments. Yes, the method is ingenious and clean. Yes, the product is well made. But audiences seem to HATE the effect! No interest; no reaction. Polite ones just are bored. Many are actually hostile and impatient, puttongh the book away and asking for the next trick...please. Have tried several different presentations, from 'voice stress' test to memory test. Crickets. Blank looks. "So what?"

Or they ask me to name all 9 on the page if I have memorized them.

Very expensive too.

I cannot fathom a way to make this entertaining, or magical. Will try to routine with ABSee deck, but would apreciate any suggestions on how to present this in a novel and interesting way???????
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
If you ask them to tell all nine, of course it might be interpreted as a memory demonstration. But if you ask them to tell four, or five, that largely reduces that risk.

In any case, memory demonstrations are a legitimate genre of mentalism. Because such a performance would be plausible to to many spectators, the effect is great for a first or second effect in an act. The audience many then be more ready for a less plausible demonstration of (say) telepathy or premonition.

George
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Can't understand the negative comments on this. A terrific effect, which is super easy to learn. I am not presenting it as a memory test, but as a mentalism effect. Get consistently great reactions.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I perform with three of the books, which go to different sections of the audience. In each section, one person selects a picture and shows it to several others, so 15 to 18 people are all thinking of one of the three symbols. This involves a lot of people and moves the effect faster than if a single book is passed around.

Works for me, but your mileage may vary.

George
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I'm not sure I understand this effect. Does each page have the same images with a different "main" image chosen on each? I can't pick that up from the presentation. Besides the last part it does simply look like you know, or have a crib, or a system to tell you what is the main image.

Not trying to be a Debby Downer by no means, but since it fooled Penn and Teller I believe I am missing something that I would have gotten had I held the book in my hands.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
To answer your questions would be revealing the method. I have this and it is well worth it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Baby book by John Morton (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL