The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Announcement and a favor... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I'm really close to relaunching the long-awaited release of the newly revised, updated, and expanded version of "The REAL Secrets Of A Successful Close-Up Magician" marketing and business development course for magicians.

I've been working on this for over a year, and it will include the most up-to-date technologies and systems I use to make an amazing living as a professional magician.

However, I need your help. Before I finalize all the details, I want to make sure I have everything covered. Can you help me out?

If you can take a moment to answer two questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. What are the top two questions you have about the magic business that I absolutely NEED to answer in my marketing and business development course?

2. Given the choice, would you prefer to have a hard copy version of the course mailed to you, or would you prefer to gain access to the complete system via instant download which can be downloaded to your computer or mobile device?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
One thing about marketing that I think needs to be covered (and is too often missing from marketing courses for magicians) is how to get gigs when you have never gotten gigs. After you've been performing for a few years, you have a reputation and get word-of-mouth gigs. But how do you get gigs in the first year of performing for pay? That's what missing from many marketing for magician books/courses.

My preference is a hard copy book.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, lou serrano wrote:

1. What are the top two questions you have about the magic business that I absolutely NEED to answer in my marketing and business development course?

A person really wants to know if it was right buying a book. So the 1st question is how much can a close-up make from learning from your book? You will help inspire the readers if the annual fee they can make is reasonable. Leaving out what the purchaser can make can simply have the reader lose interest of finishing your book or not get off his/her butt.

The second question refers to is your book just for close-up magicians? I have read a lot of your post, Lou. I like how you put ideas of motivation and inspiration together. I like your post. But can you make just one chapter in general leading for stand-up magicians too?

Quote:
. Given the choice, would you prefer to have a hard copy version of the course mailed to you, or would you prefer to gain access to the complete system via instant download which can be downloaded to your computer or mobile device?
Usually I go 50/50 when purchasing reading material. The main thing I go by is the price. And is the price worth what the book teaches. When the book is written in a cheap manner, I select the lowest choice. But from a great writer like you, I would go with the hard copy as long as it is autographed by you.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
The top two questions, I think, are: 1. What to do first and then what priority for everything else? Second question is: 2. What is the overall secret to marketing success? (personally I believe the answer to that question would be "MASSIVE action").

My preference is a hard copy. I really like the hard copy of your course I purchased from you in 2014 with all the DVDs and samples etc in the inside "pocket". I like the hard copy also because I like to underline, highlight, and write in the margins.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
How can a person who is not Tech savvy still make it?

How do you figure out what to charge based on your Sales ability, skill, experience and the local market.

Hard Copy. I like DVDs but print is good as well, this may be an age skew though.

Good Luck Ken. I appreciate your input here on the Café.

-Mary Mowder
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi Lou,

First of all everything I know of you, all your stuff is gold. So no matter what you do with youyr product, I have faith in you and your work.

Your questions....

1. I prefer a hard copy. I like a book I can hold in my hand...

2. Like Dynamike said, I am a stage magician doing fundraising school and non-profit group shows. Does your plan work for me?
3. What are the best ways to seek out new and "cold" clients.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Thanks everyone for all your comments. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Although the official launch date is less than a week away, I'm still putting the finishing touches on the final product. If anyone else has something to add, I'd love to hear it, as I'm still adding to the program.

Karen, I definitely have your concern covered in the upcoming program.
Dynamike, I have your concerns covered as well.
Misterillusion, I hear you, and thank you for responding.
Mary, I'm not really a tech person myself, so I know where you're coming from, and I do address your concerns.
Cliff, although my program is geared towards close-up magicians, my business is comprised of close-up, stand-up, and stage performances, so my program will definitely work for you.

Thanks again everyone, and if anyone has anything to add, please leave a comment. This is proving to be a very valuable thread to ensure a quality product that addresses the concerns of other people just like you.

Many thanks,

Lou Serrano
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Hi Lou.

Your course is on my list of purchases to make. You consistently deliver value in what you post so once I finish the consumption of my most recent course, I'll move on to you.

My greatest business challenge is how to automate and systematize the whole sales, marketing, and relationship building processes. I've been working on this for years and am much better than I once was but I'd love to get even better.

I'm always at war with two things when it comes to my close-up work. 1) the lust for things shiny and new vs. perfecting things that I already do. 2) Pocket (prop) management. Lou, I realize that your course is not on how to do a bunch of tricks. However, I'd love to gain insight into how a veteran close-up pro balances honing your existing sets vs looking to find even better effects to replace weaker things. I would factor professional presentation into the business of magic. In that topic I would include one's appearance as well as how smooth and organized the transitions are from one effect to another. I'm rambling now but I'm looking forward to what you deliver to the magician training market Lou.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I hate selling, and I hate being sold to. I've seen too many courses where they were hyped like high school cheerleaders to get you to buy, and were going to teach you how to market to others the same way. Can we get something that's for reasonable mature buyers? (Or am I just from another planet in the way I think here?)

Also, I'm a part-time performer with a full-time job, a family, and other responsibilities to boot. I understand taking the time to spin something up, but I really can't fit a full-time marketing activity into my life. Does this have something that fits someone like me? Or is it only for a person who can devote 20+ hours a week to emails, web statistics, and every networking coffee club that comes up?

A hard copy has the distinct advantage of the user being able to add notes that carry forward through the months and years. It's also easier to stop and bookmark while you chew on a just-read paragraph. Electronic download, though, can come with video and audio clips, which puts an entirely different feel to the material than simply reading the page.

Ed
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Michael, thanks for your input, and you're correct that your questions about magic, pocket management, etc. are beyond the scope of what I teach in my course. Although it might be a topic that I address in a separate offering. As for automation, that's an issue I'm currently dealing with in my own business. Technology is advancing at such a rapid rate it's sometimes difficult to keep up. Although some parts of my business are automated, much of what I do still requires a significant amount of manual implementation, especially when it comes to high dollar corporate events.

Ed, I hate being sold to as well, but the truth of the matter is that if you're in business then you're in sales. I believe it was Zig Ziglar who first said, "Skinny salespeople have skinny kids." One secret is being able to sell with confidence without coming across as a used car salesman. Another secret is having the prospect sold on your services before they ever contact you. And I cover all of that in my upcoming release.

Thank you both for your input on this thread. I really do appreciate the feedback.

Lou Serrano
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I just noticed I had a typo in the quote above from Zig Ziglar. That should have read, "Timid salespeople have skinny kids."

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea but both are probably true!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea but both are probably true!

Ha! I hadn't thought about it. Yes, it does make sense!

Lou
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm late to the party but if you still need input: I prefer a digital format that I can use on my three devices; desktop, tablet, and phone. So, no matter where I am, if I have a few minutes I can read and learn. I know you can carry a book with you at all times but depending on the size of the book that may not be practical.
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Wizard, in the end I decided to go with an all digital product. Mainly for the reasons you stated, but also because it was much quicker and easier. Digital delivery allowed me to fully automate the process.

Than you for your input.

Lou
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Announcement and a favor... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL