The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Deep Astonishment 2 by Paul Harris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daisydog
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
Greetings, I just wondered if anyone else on here performs this? I recently found it at the bottom of my Magic drawer and started playing about with it. I've got quite a few different effects but this little leather envelope completely freaks people out. It's just so strong. I'm playing it light as per the instructions, but it's a really powerful piece of magic. It's quite rare I think as I've been looking for a backup but can't find one anywhere. A brilliant effect and really enjoyable to perform.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I have both the original and Deep Astonishment 2, but have regrettably yet to perform them. I was fortunate to live close to Rodney Whitlock's shop, Yendor's World of Magic (Rod worked with Paul Harris on releasing this effect), and kept up with the news on how this prop was developed. One day Rod showed me the original DA, and I almost lost it. The effect is unnerving as the performer has somehow, apparently found away into your head to find a word that only you know.

I realize the original effect came out of Paul's incredible Art of Astonishment books. But Deep Astonishment took it further, and DA2 took it further yet with added nuances that made the performance easier, the routine clearer, and the effect stronger. I see it more as a mentalist plot, but see no reason why it can't be nuanced to be a stranger, slightly darker effect.

Long story short...underused. Use it.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Sadly, I only have the original DA (which uses regular playing cards) and have only performed it a few times a long time ago. DA2 (as stated) is a much cleaner and stronger version. I always liked the premise, but just couldn't get behind the method. Seemed rather cumbersome.

Perhaps (with a nod to daisydog for the prompt) I'll invest in DA2 and give it a go!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Taveren001
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
174 Posts

Profile of Taveren001
I do have "Deep Astonishment 2" and have performed it. It definitely gets great reactions when done properly. It is, as afinemesh states "rather cumbersome". As Daisydog says, "A Brilliant effect and really enjoyable to perform."
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Ringo
It's a great effect. I have performed it and the initial reactions were always great. The props are intrigueing and that was for me the weak point of the routine. Many people are interested in fortune telling and they want to take a closer look. Not to chase after the secret of your trick, but because of genuine interest. And you can't let them handle it. You just can't.

Now there's a third version on the market, Deep 3 by Bro Gilbert and the method isn't cumbersome anymore. It's rather brilliant, but there's no 'gypsy' version, so the magical mood of DA2 is lost.
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Ledbetter
Is DA2 still available anywhere? I've looked and it seems to be sold out everywhere.
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
"Do not seek the truth, for the truth will find you"
Daisydog
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
Hi Thaddeus! It very occasionally pops up on eBay, I think that's the only way to get one now I'm afraid. I'll have a look for one in Blackpool for you this weekend. It really is a brilliant effect.
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Ledbetter
Thanks Daisydog. I received a PM from a Café member that has one he is willing to sell. I'll let you know if that works out.
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
"Do not seek the truth, for the truth will find you"
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
Hey Jimmy, I was looking into DA as well. Let me know if you got one and if you likebit.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I, too, put this in a drawer and don't use it very much at all - and yet, the few times I performed it after first getting it, the reactions were extremely strong. Now I want to go pull it out.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
It is a fantastic effect. Here's why mine got put in the drawer and eventually sold. It's very difficult address a group-- so many times someone will say "ok now do me" and your kinda stuck. But for one-on-one it's quite good.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On May 8, 2017, Schaff wrote:
It is a fantastic effect. Here's why mine got put in the drawer and eventually sold. It's very difficult address a group-- so many times someone will say "ok now do me" and your kinda stuck. But for one-on-one it's quite good.

It depends on how you frame it. But when you finish the first one, it is apparent there are no cards left, so it could not work for the person saying "now do me."

I like the effect, but it is too "magic tricky" for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Deep Astonishment 2 by Paul Harris (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL