The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My Short, Minimal-Prop Set (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
There's only so much sense this sort of stuff can make. I looked at AlexGarnerMagic.com and there's nothing there.

A fella, puts something on youtube that shows him sitting in front of a camera going through a series of sleights. The routine is put up for review. "Performance" as such, is minimal, all focus is on the series of tricks. All other matters is of no matter, but we're assured that in front of people IT KILLS.

I addressed the series of tricks when I mentioned they were repeated. The response from our "strat1227" is that he performed it for Penn and Teller. OK

D. Yoder, why do you need anything more? Repeating the same trick with the same method more than once, is a bad idea, or a lack of other ideas. Nothing more is needed. But while I'm at it, I'll add that not only is the shuffling of stance irritating, it is also an indication of nervousness that a person who had performed the routine for "1 or 2 years" in front of people, shouldn't be feeling. A camera, is the most forgiving of viewers. It can be erased.

Here's more:

1)"Goose Foot" (I realize that part of it is a characteristic of the particular vanish, which I loathe btw, other times it isn't). 2) Asking the camera, "Pretty good huh?" Another, now that I begin to think more about what I saw, there was a point where "strat..." kicked the ring out of his way with his foot, dismissing the fact that he accidentally dropped it. He was done with it anyway (3)

All indicate that things are not copacetic.

And yeah, the hat line is not good, calling your audiences attention to the fact that there are people leaving is a horrible idea(4). And during the draw, never say "free"(5). But then, my suspicion is that if this fella had really worked this routine for a year or two on the street, he'd know all that by now.
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Eric I've loved every thing I've ever seen or read from you and it shaped my magic in every imaginable way. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I take solace in knowing I'm a talented magician whether you believe it or not Smile

Here's the thread where I describe my busking, including pictures of me with Penn and teller Smile http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

Thanks for everything you've contributed to magic, and please forgive me disregarding your thoughts
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've been following the posts, and don't want to re-read them, so this might have been said already ....
When you post a practice session for other magicians to critique, it is entirely different than posting a set in front of a live audience of laymen. Much like a comedian rehearsing a routine. The only thing that matters is your audience reactions, otherwise, all you do is open yourself up to criticism from people who look at your magic from an entirely different perspective than those who watch you solely for the purpose of being entertained. In my opinion, it takes a lot of guts.
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
Thanks Jake that's the perspective I was hoping people here would take, and most seem to have. It's just a shame the dissenting opinion is one I look up to haha Smile

Just a matter of perspective I imagine Smile
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
I just wish he had critiqued the set on its own merits and not tried to imply that I was lying about anything I said, which I'm absolutely not. That feels unnecessary and is honestly pretty hurtful.

You'll notice the thread I linked to is 2 years old. It shows pictures of me performing a set almost identical to this. All the evidence for anything I "claimed" is there

I'd be happy to post the video of me performing the pen routine for p&t if it matters to anyone.

Edit: just for fun, here's that performance https://www.dropbox.com/s/otl67jl97y9m09......mp4?dl=0

Eric if you see this I'm taking all your constructive criticism to heart, and doing my best to ignore your accusations. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My Short, Minimal-Prop Set (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL