The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope effect (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
What is the name of the trick
that starts out as the professors nightmare
but ends up as one piece of rope? thanks
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Think you will find many rope effects/routines with that theme -- all slightly different.

I imagine Dick can relate who first published such an effect, or who made his reputation doing it.

I prefer to start with a single rope, perform various C&R combined with other non-rope effects, finally cut the rope into three pieces for PN and end with a single length.

The point is -- no single "name of trick" will help learn it.

Guess I don't understand exactly what you are looking for. Do you want to buy it? Learn it? Give credit for a published variation?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Conway rope trick or Pop Hayden Mongolian Pop Knot
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Where is the Conway Rope Trick being sold. Are you selling it Pete. It was a Ken Brooke item in the 1970's.

By the way, it is not the full trick, but only the ending of how to end with one long length of rope. Id does not explain a version of the Professor Nightmare aka Equal - Unequal Ropes.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
The Conway Rope Trick, as sold by Ken, was just really an extra phase/ending for The Professor's Nightmare.

The actual routine, which starts with one piece of rope, incorporates cut and restored phases, the professors nightmare effect, restoration to one piece again and (if required) a jumping knot is Joe Riding's cut & restored rope routine - released in 1978. You can also add Pat Conway's superb idea into Joe's routine if necessary.

I've been performing Joe's version since 1981 - in cabaret but also, on occasions, in close-up. I truly cannot put a value upon this pure masterpiece of magical routining.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
There was an effect (which I owned at one point) marketed as The Professor's Dream... you can see an extended version of the effect in this video here The video link though should start at the part of the effect that it was originally marketed as. I believe this is the effect you are after.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Where is the Conway Rope Trick being sold. Are you selling it Pete. It was a Ken Brooke item in the 1970's.

By the way, it is not the full trick, but only the ending of how to end with one long length of rope. Id does not explain a version of the Professor Nightmare aka Equal - Unequal Ropes.

Hi Bill.
For more on the Conway Rope --P/M me.
Ricky
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Is THIS the Conway Rope Trick? Or is it The Professor's Dream? Or are they both the same thing?
Anyway, it looks good.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've mentioned this before in this forum, but to save links, I'll briefly mention it again.

About 1969, the late Dennis Loomis and I developed a routine that started with the Karl Germaine principle for C&R, segued into another C&R using the short piece left over from Germaine, followed with the Slydini cut to the Professor's Nightmare,then, the Nightmare, and, finished with a bluff restoration (BEFORE CONWAY!)

I used it to open the high school program for about 5 or 6 seasons. Denny used it, too, but, not as an opener.

Recil Bordner said that Denny "broke the record" for "the largest order for spools of rope that he ever had! --I was buying rope from Frances Marshall, and, I probably broke Frances' record!

The only thing, even slightly "original", was the ROUTINE! The first part "came" from the late Ken Allen's "I'll Do It Again" which both he and Abbott's sold. Ken had developed his routine in the early '50s. It started with Germaine, and finished with the Edward Victor. The "Slydini Cut" came from Slydini's book. The "PN" was Bob Carvr's. The bluff restoration was a "brainstorm" of Denny's and mine.

I actually made a "deal" with Frances Marshall! I would bring her a "bushel" of PN ropes, and trade them for spools of rope. (It saved her the labor cost of cutting rope into PNs! --and she could say that each PN had been tested in actual performance by a professional magician!!!!!

Eventually I developed a Nightmare routine that I liked better, and "retired" the "Oslund/Loomis routine".

I don't know WHEN Pop Haydn developed his Mongolian, and I don't care! Pop's Mongolian is GREAT! Frankly, I like his routine and PRESENTATION, much better than what Denny and I had developed.

We both used established PRINCIPLES! The PRESENTATION is what "makes it"!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
BRAD: NO not Conway.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Brad; This is the trick that I had.... and it was marketed as the Professor's Dream.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Mongolian Pop Knot and the Comedy Four Ring Routine were both developed in the late Sixties when I was performing on the streets in NYC. Both were published in the mid-Seventies, originally by Brother Paul West and then by Jay Marshall.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope effect (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL