The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Everyone does the Hands Trick (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SteveTheMagician
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of SteveTheMagician
I too do this trick, but only for a few people at a time. in a large crowd, it's hard to keep everyone's attention away from the tricky buisness.

personally, I'd never do this for more than, say, 10 people tops.
Robert-o
View Profile
New user
Sunny Glendale, Arizona
39 Posts

Profile of Robert-o
I like this trick... as many times as I've used it, nobody can figure it out.(Except my 11 year old daughter). It actually embarasses some people, but I always get a good chuckle.
"Hey... How'd you do that?".
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
That is pretty neat!
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
You CAN do this to big crowds. The Youtube clip proves that - you need to cover the moment well. As stated above, Lance Burton and David Copperfield both feature this in their shows, every night!

If anyone wants to hear more thoughts on it, PM me.

Cheers

Chris
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-07-06 13:55, ku7uk3 wrote:
Everybody does it because it works. Take a hint.

And all magicians want people to give them a "Hand"... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Very nice, joseph! Both thumbs UP to you...! (the end position for the trick being discussed, another casual name for which is simply, 'Thumbs'...)

Cheers,

Chris
Alec Kazam
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Alec Kazam
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2006, MagicMarker wrote:
Every single Magician I've seen over the last 3 years has done this trick.

I'm talking about the one where you get the spectator to put their hands back to back and then cross over etc. At the end the magician can turn his hands the right way up, but the audience can't.

Now, it's a pretty good trick, and get's a laugh, but why is EVERY SINGLE Magician doing it. From the Busker at Clearwater Beach, to the Magicians doing small shows, to Keith Barry when I saw him in Dublin, to David Copperfield and Lance Burton in Vegas.

Surely to goodness someone can come up with a different stunt to kick off a show.

Any thoughts on why this is so popular with Magicians. After the show if you talk to spectators they remember lots of tricks, but not this one. I thought it was kind of amusing the first time I saw it, but I'm sick of it now.

The only entertainment I get from it is spotting how the magician will get his hands into position.

-Richard

Why do a lot of magicians do an ambitious card routine? Simple answer is that it gets good reactions. Same for the "do as I do" arm twist illusion!

Alec.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Another good demo is by Lennart Green on the TED sessions.

Google "lennart Green TED"

He does this hand trick at the start of the clip.

(The rest of the clip is the most fantastic card manipulation for those not familiar with Lennart's work !)
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
This trick is very popular, yes. I have seen many magicians in Asia do it for their audience because it lets the magician interact with everyone all at once. Not very many tricks let you do this with no big prop.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
No props, interactive, funny and fooling. Perfect crowd warm-up. Only magicians are likely to end up at more than one magic show in a short period of time so I'm not too worried about them loving or hating my warm up.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Yes, currently this seems to be the MOST popular 'warm up' trick
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
FelixKraus
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of FelixKraus
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2016, NeverMind wrote:
Yes, currently this seems to be the MOST popular 'warm up' trick

Is there an alternative interactive option? curious.
zachwyman
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of zachwyman
Does anyone use anything else as an audience warmer? The hand one is good, but I wish there was a book on this type of stuff. Hmmm...
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
191 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Like the old saying. if its not broke don't fix it.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I've used this for years as it is a great way to warm up an audience. And yes, I saw Copperfield do this to an audience of 1000 and was perplexed as much as everyone else.

It's a great way to get a feel for your audience and manage the crowd.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
DaKine Oregon
View Profile
New user
Medford, Oregon
50 Posts

Profile of DaKine Oregon
One reason it is so popular was that Keith Barry did it to start his TED Talk back in February 2014 and the video has been watched more than 14 Million times since then. https://www.ted.com/talks/keith_barry_does_brain_magic
Ubernutz
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Ubernutz
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, DaKine Oregon wrote:
One reason it is so popular was that Keith Barry did it to start his TED Talk back in February 2014 and the video has been watched more than 14 Million times since then. https://www.ted.com/talks/keith_barry_does_brain_magic

It's funny, every Copperfield clip they cut away on "the move" havent seen this before, I'll check it out
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Ok, you got me!
how on earth did he do this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Everyone does the Hands Trick (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL