The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Lapse in Membership (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarloFan93
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MarloFan93
About 8 years ago I had a lapse in judgement (and a home) and because of these circumstances I let my dues and membership slide. Before this I had been a member for 7 years.

What do I need to do to become an active member again? Do I need to go through the application process again?

There is not a local ring were I am, the Ring in Branson, MO is the closest to me (about 2 hours).
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Welcome back, Marlo. Just log onto www.Magician.org and rejoin. If you remember your I.B.M. member number, include it ... But, chances are that you'll be issued a new number after so long a lapse. You will need to pay the $15 new member admin fee, as well.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
I got the same number after 20 years away
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Quote:
On May 24, 2016, Skip Way wrote:
Welcome back, Marlo. Just log onto www.Magician.org and rejoin. If you remember your I.B.M. member number, include it ... But, chances are that you'll be issued a new number after so long a lapse. You will need to pay the $15 new member admin fee, as well.

If you had a membership number they will look it up and apply it, but you still have to wait 3 months after you're published in the Linking Ring for your membership to become active again...I questioned the waiting period nonsense because I'd been a member on and off for about 4-1/2 decades, but they said since my membership had lapsed more than 7 years ago, I had to go through the new member waiting period...and no, you don't have to pay the $15 new member admin fee...just pay your dues...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
"...and no, you don't have to pay the $15 new member admin fee...just pay your dues..."

That may be so, I'm not sure. Section 3, Para. 5 of the Standing Rules simply state:

"5. Members in arrears shall forfeit the right to receive The Linking Ring, during the period of such arrearage. Any member whose dues are three years in arrears shall be automatically suspended. A member who reinstates his membership status at any time following a lapse of no more than three years will be considered to have uninterrupted membership upon the payment of all back dues owed for the period of such lapse. Only one such reinstatement will be considered for the purpose of adjusting Order of Merlin award eligibility. A member, whose dues are unpaid at the time of the Annual Meeting or Annual Election, shall not be in good standing, may not vote, hold office or be admitted to a business meeting, until such time as the unpaid dues are paid to the Executive Secretary."

Since more than three years has passed, this is considered dropped membership and the lost years cannot be recovered. Therefore, as I interpret the standing rule, the 3-year-plus reinstatement applicant must go through the New Member admission process again. Unless something has changed recently, I am certain that a suspended member reinstating his or her membership will not receive a member certificate or lapel pin without the $15.00 admin fee.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
I don't know for sure, but I just reinstated my membership...$70 for "Active Member (with the print edition of The Linking Ring and unlimited digital access)"...was there a $15 charge built in to that?

PS - Answer "yes"...just checked my bank statement and discovered they charged me $85...doh...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Lapse in Membership (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL