The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Table stock (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have a question: is better to have stuff on your table to sell or is better to just keep it empty and just pitch one item?
Or could it be more beneficial to have second item like the squimle that are brightly colored on the table.
I guess I'm curios to see if having something to "see" at your table is a good idea even if you don't pitch that one as hard or at all.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Squimle's are a good pitch item.You can pitch them with the Svengali deck.But don't have anything on your table unless you are pitching it.No more than two items or you'll confuse the marks...and we know they are confused enough as it is.

Don
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
That makes sense on both accounts. The second especially considering half know very little english these days.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree that you shouldn't be pitching more than two items, tops. More than that just increases your inventory and costs, and also makes it harder for the folks to decide what they want to buy, and slows down the whole process.

Even with just two things, you can have problems. When a child couldn't decide which color worm they wanted, I would say something like "Oh, the blue ones are especially friendly," and it usually did the job of moving things along.

But I do think it's helpful to have a small pile of each item on the table. I used to keep about 5-6 worms on the table, so the folks could see the different colors. I also had 5 or 6 Svengali Decks laid out. BUT --- I always kept them closer to my side of the table than the specs' side. Sometimes little fingers (and even some big ones) can get sticky! The bulk of my stock I kept on a side table behind the pitch table --- within easy reach for me, but not for the specs.

In my opinion, having some stock on the pitch table is good, because it makes you look like a real business when you clearly have something to sell. However, a display alone will never pull in a good-sized tip -- that's what the pitch is for! I have also seen plenty of pitchmen working an empty table, but they were able to draw and turn a big tip faster than you could say "Don Driver." So I would try it both ways and see what works best for you. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
I found you can do a great Haunted Svengali Deck trick using your Squirmel. The deck magically cuts to the chosen card and then the Squirmel approaches the key card after jogging out from the deck. Give a try, works better than explained. Never used in pitching but works great in practice.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
245 Posts

Profile of Frosty
That's a killer idea Card father! It must take lots of practice I think... but would look really amazing and we'll worth it! I wonder if it'll tip the gimmick Though?
Best!
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Don't try in hand as if doing walk around. Put on the table and with palms flat resting on both sides of deck and table push your belt area backwards slowly. It will work first time out. Must buy both now finalie. As I said, have not put into pitching routine yet. Why mess with perfection? Right Don?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
No need to fix it if it an't broke !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Table stock (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL