The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Park bench appearance (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Arcato
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Arcato
Okay, here's the scenario:
For my stage act I want to appear on top of a park bench (i.e. sitting on the backrest of the bench) - no assistants, no other props, the only cover should be smoke or newspapers (or both) . The park bench should look casual and definitively NOT like a magic prop. I've looked through many illusion plan books already (Osborne, Woodbury etc.), but so far I haven't been able to find anything suitable.
I'm not looking for a complete solution, but rather resources or ideas of similar illusions that maybe can be adapted. Most likely black art will be necessary, but that's not an issue.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Uwe
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I saw a park bench illusion where the bench was outdoors in the grass. A mirror was placed under the bench at a 45 degree angle, just reflecting the grass under the bench. It looks like you can see right under the bench.

Jim
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
Hi Uwe, You are probably on the right track by thinking Black Art as it is the most straightforward solution, especially if you have control of your angles and lighting. There would perhaps be a shelf at the back of the bench, level with the seat,which you could lie on. You would be 'invisible' due to black panels between the vertical slats of the backrest. Here's a good kicker...make these slats sliding so that after you have made your appearance, behind cover, they can be slid behind the bench slats and then get someone in a light coloured outfit to walk behind the bench, silent 'proof' that Black Art was not used.
Arcato
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Arcato
Thanks guys for your comments, I really appreciate them! Looks like I'm on the right path, I now "just" got to experiment a little!
Cheers,
Uwe
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, jimhlou wrote:
I saw a park bench illusion where the bench was outdoors in the grass. A mirror was placed under the bench at a 45 degree angle, just reflecting the grass under the bench. It looks like you can see right under the bench.

Most of those location appearances have the mirror perpendicular to the ground half way back under the object. As long as the camera is at eye level and back a short distance,the angles work out. It usually never works on an elevated stage as the audience would be seeing a reflection of themselves. Black Art behind the back slats is the simplest answer.
Ray Pierce
Edgar Alstad2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad2
Should these methods be discussed openly here...?
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
93 Posts

Profile of David_N
I think that as long as the secrets of proprietary illusions are not discussed but simply general principles then there is no problem. If someone wants to learn the secrets of magic then they don't need to come here but simply log into YouTube where some 12 year old will tip the work on just about any trick you can think of whether in public domain or not.
AllenChilver
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of AllenChilver
I don't know whether it was among the illusion books you consulted, but I recommend this resource:

http://illusionbookstore.com/product/ult......ion-pdf/
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
We have done mirrored and base park benches for clients. Mirrored for outside on grass and a base for an indoor show.
You can use a mirrored on on stage, but these methods worked for each clients needs.

Vinny
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Do you have to appear sitting on the back rest? Why not appear sitting on the seat, as one normally would? If so, combine black art with a gimmick similar that that in a tip-over trunk.... except instead of the box moving around the gimmick, the gimmick itself moves. The original back becomes part of the seat and the back is filled in by the load shelf that was behind it all. Roll in horizontally, and then just swing yourself to an upright position.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
You could also use a real magic bench :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater

:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Park bench appearance (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL