The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Still Small Still Deadly by Paul Hallas (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Now available digitally at http://www.lybrary.com !
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
For fans of this book and the first one, I've just started up a packet trick group on Facebook. So if you're on Facebook and you're interested in joining message me.

Paul.
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
Hi Paul,

Do you know if a digital version of "Small but Deadly" is available somewhere ? I checked the Internet but ...nothing.

Thanks
Do your best and forget the rest
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2014, ThePhoenix wrote:
Hi Paul,

Do you know if a digital version of "Small but Deadly" is available somewhere ? I checked the Internet but ...nothing.

Thanks

http://www.lybrary.com/advanced_search_r......in=title

There was a link a couple of posts above, but here's one straight to the book itself Smile Considering the price of many 14 or 15 page e-books, it's great value!
theghostcompany
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
82 Posts

Profile of theghostcompany
Paul,

Are you sure? The linked digital version is the sequel (Still Small Still Deadly), not the original (Small but Deadly). I have been looking for a digital version of the original myself, but so far with no success.

I would appreciate any hints regarding the original (but frankly have no high expectations).

Kind regards
theghostcompany
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, theghostcompany wrote:
Paul,

Are you sure? The linked digital version is the sequel (Still Small Still Deadly), not the original (Small but Deadly). I have been looking for a digital version of the original myself, but so far with no success.

I would appreciate any hints regarding the original (but frankly have no high expectations).

Kind regards
theghostcompany

My bad, I misread it and thought you meant the sequel. But you can stop looking, Small But Deadly is NOT available in a digital format, and if you were to find one, then it has been pirated. Small But Deadly is still in print as a hard cover book and is easy to find.

Paul.
theghostcompany
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
82 Posts

Profile of theghostcompany
Ok, many thanks - back to good oldfashioned book reading then!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Public service announcement! Smile
For those that missed out on a print version of this book I have just made it available again as a print on demand book. AS such, it will not be available everywhere, just one spot, you order it, they print it and ship it out.

As it is a larger book, 8.5 x 11 I opted for the book to be spiral bound this time so it can be laid flat out on the table. This makes it easier for learning the tricks detailed in the book. It can be obtained here: http://www.thebookpatch.com/BookStore/st......482c8d10

I'm surprised more authors don't take advantage of this option when books go out of print. Those that really want the book can still obtain it, the author has no financial risk or a garage full of books Smile

It is still available as an e-book from www.lybrary.com, so now you have options. Is that a magician's choice? Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
For those that PURCHASED the e-book version of my book "Still Small, Still Deadly" from Lybrary.com an updated version is now available from them. Which means if you have an account with them and previously bought it you should be able to download this newly expanded edition. If you never bought this sequel to "Small but Deadly" and it was on your wish list, now is a good time as the price will be increased sometime in September.

This new edition has updated chapters, some new chapters and over 660 packet effects get mentioned in passing.

The POD version has also been updated but the price has gone up.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Throughout June 2022 this e-book is available for 50% off at Lybrary.com, so if you were on the fence about picking this up, now might be a good time Smile Smile Smile
Illusion77
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for the information on this.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Finally, after much prompting (from myself) I have made the book available as a hardcover. It is available from Lulu.com, just go to their bookstore and put the title in the search box. I have not discontinued the e-book version from Lybrary (though I thought about it) nor the spiral bound softcover available from TheBookPatch. Since the new hardcover edition (identical content to the 2020 edition) is print on demand, rather than being mass produced for wholesalers etc.the price is reasonable for a hardcover magic book. This version will only be available from LULU and it might prove to be the better option for overseas readers wanting a print copy, as I understand shipping from Lulu is not so bad for International.
If you avoided this book for your library because it was softcover, now you have no excuse.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Paul... just ordered on Lulu. You are right shipping was much more reasonable than TheBookPatch where shipping options ranged from $62-$177 to Canada! Lulu was under $11. Cheers.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2024, J M Talbot wrote:
Thanks Paul... just ordered on Lulu. You are right shipping was much more reasonable than TheBookPatch where shipping options ranged from $62-$177 to Canada! Lulu was under $11. Cheers.

Thanks for letting me know what the shipping was. Shipping outside the U.S. from the Bookpatch (and with USPS) is horrific. I had been told Lulu offered a better option. Probably because of the quantity of stuff they ship out. Anyway, enjoy the book!!!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Great book Paul, thoroughly enjoyed it and a no brainer for anyone that has read the first volume, although it stands on its' own easily.The book arrived slightly damaged, however Lulu quickly replaced it at no charge. Great service from them.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Still Small, Still Deadly, More Minimaliastic Magiic Meanderings - Paul Hallas
$45.00
https://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-hallas/st......geSize=4

The Secret Lives of Magicians' Rabbits - Paul Hallas
$10.00
https://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-hallas/th......geSize=4

Quite a few years ago, I saw an advertisement in a magic magazine for a book called "Small but Deadly - The Packet Trickster's Handbook"), Being a big fan of packet tricks, I rushed off to Hank Lee's to make the purchase only to be told that it was only available directly from the author in England. So I wrote that one off. Then H& R Books decided to make it available in hardback so I broke out my wallet and added this to my library. What a wonderful source! He had it set up in sections so that if you were looking for a trick with a particular theme or plot, it was easy to find. This has been my favorite magic book for years and really the only one that I have read cover to cover several times. A real must have.

So I was excited when I heard that a followup tome was available. However an email to Paul let me know that it was sold out and only available in pdf format. I have always detested reading from a screen (give me the old hard copy) so, once again I passed. Then, lo and behold, I got an email from Paul letting me know that he had arranged to publish the book himself. It was now available online and he wanted to know if I would like to review it. Didn't have to ask me twice.

The original book was in a small format and the new one is much larger. Over 200 pages devoted to packet tricks. Although you are taught a number of packet effects in the book, this is not its true value. This is actually a reference book on the subject.

The book is set up in sections by both creator and subject matter. Under subject, a type of effect is noted, then you are given a list of about every packet trick of this type. Each is listed, along with the creator, history, in a book or released as a stan's Jazz Aces), Where the Wild Things Are (Wild Card effects and, I am proud to say, my own Wild Card Routine "Pandemic" is listed). There are many more but just wanted to give you an idea of what you are getting.

He also has sections on a lot of different creators giving not only a bio on them but an extensive list of any packet effects they have created. I have my favorites and it is nice to know just what effects I managed to pass by. Some of my favorites include the wonderful John Bannon and his Big Blind cohort, Liam Montier, David Regal. Paul Gordon., Cameron Francis and many more.

It is obvious that Paul has spent many hours on what is a labor of love for him. If you are seeking a specific type of routine, this is the place to look. Or if you want to see what other packet effects have been released by one of your favorites, you can find that here, too.

The real value for me here is the endless lists of references. Paul mentions the book "Packet Tricks" by Jerry Mentzner. I checked my bookshelf and had a copy which I haven't touched for years. That is about to change. Thanks, Paul.

This is a book that needs to be in your magic library. My shelves are running out of room but I guarantee you, there will be a place for this one.

And, in the same package, Paul sent me a copy of his children's book, "The Secret Lives of Magicians' Rabbits." If you have seen the movie "The Secret Lives of Pets", you probably have an idea what this is about. Paul has shown another side of himself here. This book is loaded with pictures of rabbits in a lot of situations. All the pictures are done by Paul using the Microsoft Bing Creator. The pictures are absolutely fabulous. Having played around with AI myself, I know how difficult it is to get just the illustration you want and Paul has hit a home run on every page. This would be an excellent book to purchase for a youngster or just leave it out on your coffee table. Anyone seeing it will want to have a peek. You will love it. I did.

Both of these books get kudos from me. They are both fun to read and, like I said, Still Small doubles as a reference book. Both are highly recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Still Small Still Deadly by Paul Hallas (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL