The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter for Ninja Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I have been working on Ninja Rings (set of 4) for a few weeks and just about have a sequence of moves for a routine pulling from Shoot and Massuda. I am looking for any ideas on patter. I know the rings lend themselves well to music, but my venues are pretty much walk around and table hopping. I'd like a patter line that has a story that the rings can compliment. Boiled down, the rings are basically a series of linking and unlinking; joining and separating...

Any thoughts on story lines or themes that would work? I like a wide array of subjects but the only think coming to mind is "relationships"... they strengthen, they weaken, they come, they go.. some are permanent (2 linked) ... Maybe something sciencey, or science fictiony ??? Ideally, the story would have a "punch line" to cover putting the rings away.. with that being the focus of attention at the climax and reducing the desire to inspect the rings.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Scott -

Most routines that lend themselves to a story use common objects as the prop (at least in my view). Rings are hardly a common item. They scream magic prop. Not sure how to put this into a story.

I suggest you look at full-size linking ring routines to get some ideas. Even though the venue for the two sizes are different, the props would lend themselves to the same type of story.

For me, I do something along the line of, "it would be impossible for solid rings to link together, so that couldn't be happening, could it?" All while linking and unlinking. Very short, but an eye opener. Then straight away to something else.

Hudson
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Im looking to make the rings the object of the story... I am, in fact, specifically trying to NOT have "expository" patter that just explains the effect... "solid thru solid," "one ring will pass thru the other."

Quite the opposite. I want the "effect" to compliment a story. Again, the idea I do have is "Relationships" with the rings joining and separating to compliment how relationships work. I am just looking for story line that are less "heave" and serious
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Scott Horn I have a few ideas:

The First idea is use the rings to illustrate interesting facts about metal that many people may not know and that once you know the characteristics of these metals they can produce interesting results. Present each ring as a different mental type coated in a silver finish. For example one metal could be mercury which at room temperature is said to be the only metal that is in liquid form. Take a ring that your about to link to another give it a rub at a particular spot then link the rings.

Another approach by way of introduction could be how Alkali metals such as sodium, potassium, rubidium, caesium and francium are extremely reactive elements, just putting them in water can result in an explosion! Get the patrons to move their drinks (for safety reasons lol) as you bring out your rings then move into your routine demonstrating their volatility.

So that's a scientific theme.

Another theme is the theory of Synchronicity which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship, yet seem to be meaningfully related. Use each ring as a representation of life events or situations that your spectators can relate to linking and unlinking representing the apparent connections that we make that aren't really there ie: like every time you wash your car it always seems to rain.

Well on the topic of theory's what about the Circle of life theory which holds that every living thing is connected to each other.

On a more fortune telling path you could use the art of Dactyliomancy as a pretext to add some real emotional meaning to your routine. Ring divination was very popular among the Romans. Special rings of gold and silver were made in certain planetary patronages for this specific purpose. These special rings were empowered with intricate rituals and incantations. Use the linking and unlinking of the rings in a way that reveals something of a audience member.

I hope those are enough ideas.

Magically

Aus
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Thanks !
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
There seems to be two obvious elements.....
1. multiple rings
2. the same recurring effect

multiple rings could be a group of characters that share a something similar....like a "school of fish" or the "royal court"

here is a good website of some funny stories,
http://www.boyscouttrail.com/cub-scouts/......ries.asp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter for Ninja Rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL