The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Tannen's Magic Shop in New York memories (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
A few years ago, I got into a conversation at Tannen's with an elderly (maybe three years older than me, hence "elderly" Smile ) gent who asked me about myself. We were the only people in the store, besides the guy behind the counter. I talked about being a teacher, and we had a very interesting half-hour conversation about education. He had a lot of intelligent things to say. He never once brought up magic. When he left the store, the guy behind the counter, turned to me, amused, and said, "That was Ken Krenzel."
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello everybody and Merry Christmas !

Is Tannnens Magic Shop still located at the 45W 34th Street #608 in New York for the moment ?

Thanks

Oliver.
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2015, Oliver Ross wrote:
Hello everybody and Merry Christmas !

Is Tannnens Magic Shop still located at the 45W 34th Street #608 in New York for the moment ?

Thanks

Oliver.

Yes it is... was just there about a week ago. It's on the 6th floor of an office building. There is a "Sleepy's" sign (the mattress company) on the sign outside of the building. If you go there, be sure to meet Magick Balay. He's an excellent magician in his own right and a great demonstrator; very helpful and open. Ask him to do "The Key" for you... he has a great, original handling.
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
Also, Fantasma magic shop is close by as well. Not nearly as good IMO but they have a great Houdini room and some wonderful collectibles on display... certainly worth the trip if you're going to be in the area.
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Oh, lord, do I miss Tannen's as it was, in the sixties and seventies...1540 Broadway...Irv and Lou...hanging out on Saturday afternoons until they closed at 3:00PM, then to the Governor Café, down the street, with the famous, and the unknowns, all hanging out together...you wouldn't believe the people I saw in the store, or met, hanging out at the Café...my earliest catalog is #5, from 1965...sigh...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
ramoss
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of ramoss
I remember Tannen's well from when I was a kid in the early 1960's living an hour outside New York. With all the colorful props and books and constant demonstrations or conversations going on Irv and Lou and always one or two others behind the counter. For a teenager interested in magic it was a wonderland, what seemed like the Mecca of Magic. I'd always ask what was the latest close-up trick. I bought Bro Hammonds Final Ace Routine for $2.00 after being blown away by a performance of it. Years later after seeing Doug Henning's first TV special I told myself I've just got to do that newspaper tear. I walked into Tannen's and said I wanted that newspaper trick on the special and Irv replied matter of factly, "Oh you want the Anderson Newspaper Tear" without further comment. Amazing secrets were sold every day to ordinary people like me. Just imagine, for $2.00 (again) I could astound people, and did, just like Henning. Tannen's was the Hogwart's of its day. A place where the cognoscenti could purchase power.

My wife of 44 years occasionally reminds me that on the day after our wedding in New York overlooking Central Park, I left her in the room and quickly made my way to midtown to visit Tannen's to ask once again, "What's new?".
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
First time I went to Tannen's was when they were on west 32nd St about 30 years back. I'll never forget the surprise of those elevator doors opening and Whoah, I'm right in the middle of the place! Been back a couple of times since then but not since they moved to their present space, I'll have to try to check it out some time.

Glenn
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Tannen's was my first introduction to the world of magic. Or more specifically, my first introduction to how much MONEY I was destined to spend! I remember as an Airman in S.Dakota getting my hands on a Lou Tannen catalog, opening up the cover, and just being swept away!! I was caught up in a world of wonder and magical possibilities. The world of magic was now my oyster. ANYTHING was possible! My life would never be the same.

So I purchased a zombie, an "Evaporated Milk" effect, complete with "Oom." Also an effect where a section of a newspaper was tossed in the air to suddenly become a bouquet of flowers. Oh! And a "Moon Rock." Effect! After all, I was an airman living in the barracks and my board and food was all provided, so I had a weekly serviceman's paycheck to profligate as I my heart desired.

Long about then the Elf started selling. I was among his first customers. Shoot, I think I singelehandedly made the guy rich.

And here I am decades later, and you know what? Despite the expense, I still wouldn't trade it for the world.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Currently at the NY Historical Society Museum (next to Natural History) there is a display on the first floor of magic memorabilia from the Copperfield collection. There is a recreation of the Lou Tannen's NYC magic studio with actual display case and large mural of Lou Tannen and demonstrators in the background.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Those "demonstrators" that surround Lou Tannen are the Manager, Shipping Clerk, and Secretary...Jim Herpick, Mario Gonzalez, and Lila Abraham.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Got my first copy of Royal Road to Card Magic there along with a deck of Bicycles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Tannen's Magic Shop in New York memories (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL