The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Spikes thru Balloon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I am looking to purchase the 'spikes thru balloon' effect. Not the one where you can show the tube empty inside without the spikes through it, but the one where you can show the inside tube with the spikes already through it.

Is there one better than another or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I imagine that any dealer who handles good MAK products can get one for you.
I am not aware of any others, but who knows?

U.F. Grant developed a NU-WAY WAND THRU BALLOON apparatus that is a little more flexible presentation wise as opposed to the standard Spikes Thru Balloon. The wand, tube and balloons are all examinable.

I also recall in one of the old Genii magazines Richard Himber shared his unique design concept of a clear plastic version in an open letter to U.F. Grant.

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In 1964, the late Roy Kissell developed a routine that he called, "My Nothing Grinder". (FUNNY! GREAT!)

He and I both thought that after one nail went "thru" the balloon, the trick was "over". The second nail was just a "repeat", and, added NOTHING to the EFFECT.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've always like Turkish Turmoil. Here is a questionable performance, but the guy does have one line that is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z0dL2fygnc
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I usually showed the TT open, with the knives through it, then proceeded.
Some call that Forshadowing, otherwise people don't understand the effect till the end.

Why would someone have a difficult time closing an empty tube around the balloon?
A longer balloon and blowing it up, through the tube, would have improved that.

But, I guess it was "just a show for the kids" and it doesn't matter. (He said sarcastically)

What other questionables did I miss, Michael?
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
I LOVE the TENYO black plastic tube prop that was on the market perhaps 5 years ago (?).

You use a semi-clear yellow balloon with it....which allows you to actually VISIBILLY SHOW the 2 spikes cris-crossing right thru the center of the balloon (as the spectator looks into the tube from either end)!

I use chop-sticks instead of the silly plastic 'spikes" that came with the prop.

The tube is internally gaffed...but there are no moving parts. Its all incorporated in the subtle design of the tube.

To an audience, its simply a black plastic tube.

STAY AWAY from the silver metal rip-off models that have decorative "raised grooves" on the outside of the tube....it won't fool anyone.

btw--Ali Bongo produced "Bongalloon" (Magic, Inc. catalog) - a deluxe balloon penetration with pins and blades.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I just was entering some promo stuff on Roy KIssell into a database and thought of his "nothing grinder" routine. Good stuff.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I have just watched this clip of Ali bong, Now I want info for his Balloon trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfomhijllE
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Can anyone tell me if Ali bongos Spike thru balloon is on dvd,
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I don't know that infomation but I can give you a heads up on the valve he uses to close the balloon. It's a 1/2 inch section of the cardboard tube at the bottom of hangars from the dry cleaners. Take the neck of the balloon and pull it through the tube, fold it back on itself around the tube and put a thin strip of tape around the balloon. WHen you blow it up, just twist the tube a few times and it will hold the air. Twist it the other way to release the air. It is a great idea and I don't know what notes from him I saw that in.
Magic Inc used to put out a balloon trick out from Ali, but it was made of felt covered cardboard and square in design. I believe you pushed a wide plate through the tube. It was clever.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think that I still have a copy of Ali Bongo's Lecture Notes. Ali was an artist. and his notes were all in pictures!

Thanks! Jef for the reminder of the "valve"!

I drove Wallace and his mother from Chicago to Boston for the SAM in '74. As "they" say in "Jingle Bells", "laughing all the way"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
My version of the Ali Bongo Sword Through Balloon is in The Wizards' Journal #31. I also explain two methods for quick twisting the ends of balloons to keep them inflated until you do a quick release and let them fly away.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I think there is an ungimmicked tube, wand and balloon method described in Tarbel. Nothing to hide, add or remove.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
That would be Bob McAllister's "Ungimmicked Balloon Penetration" in Volume 7 of the Tarbell Course in Magic. There is also a relatively new "Double Balloon Penetration" that has a likewise ungimmicked method and is particularly good to use with the skinny animal twister balloons so you can do some magic as part of your balloon twisting act. Here is one on-line source: http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......id=17203
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
That's it. Thanks Jim
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2016, wally wrote:
I have just watched this clip of Ali bong, Now I want info for his Balloon trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfomhijllE

Wow I got love ads from watching that clip. Ali was a true performer with a massive level of skill! Such a joy to watch! And last Ts to,learn from watching him! Smile
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Any info on Owens spikes thru Balloon
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2021, wally wrote:
Any info on Owens spikes thru Balloon

The Owen version was called "Spikes For Skeptics", invented by Bill Taylor. The tube is ungimmicked and may be handed out for examination, if you're into that sort of thing (which I think is silly, to hand props out , but the nice thing is it means it can be freely and openly displayed , there's nothing to conceal or to ring in and out.) https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/co......supreme/

Owen Magic Supreme has closed their doors with Alan Zagorsky's retirement. They had a big going-out-of-business sale last year. At the time I was told that Alexia Zagorsky (Alan's daughter) still had some limited stock of some of the smaller Owen items (none of the big illusions) , so it's possible she had a few of the Spikes For Skeptics available , but that's been a year ago , so it seems unlikely at this point. I think the website is still up and I was told that Alexia was checking the emails sent to the email address listed there , so you could try to see if she has any available. (whether or not that email address is still active a year later is unknown ; doesn't hurt to try.) https://owenmagic.com/

Bill Taylor's "Spikes for Skeptics" was published in Genii Magazine , 01/12/1960 . If you are subscriber to Genii you can look it up in the digital archives. You could make it yourself from a metal (aluminum) tube or a thin-walled PVC or other hard plastic tube. I'm looking at it right now in the Genii digital archive and Bill Taylor writes:

"My tube is made of metal and has the holes put in it with an electrician’s chassis punch and an electric drill, but any cardboard tube about 3” in diameter will do nicely."

I tried this with a portion of a heavy cardboard mailing tube and it worked fine , although eventually the cardboard edges of the holes will fray , unless you seal them with a thin layer of clear-drying glue (Elmer's glue). Lightly spray the tube with a primer. Go easy with the primer. Several very light coats applied with ample time to dry between coats. Then you can spray paint it over the primer. (again , several light coats with time to thoroughly dry between coats). I thin it's better to have it made in metal or thin-walled PVC or other hard plastic tubing.

The problem remains trying to locate a consistent source for the proper size balloons . The old style "airship" balloons were a perfect size and length, not too long ,not too wide , but "just right" . (these were also used for Robert Gurtler's (aka Andre Kole) 'Spikes Thru Balloon' marketed by U.F. Grant/MAK magic and Grant/MAK's 'Turkish Turmoil') . I think you saw the LONG thread I started on this last year: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0 .

Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Although this is an old thread, I thought that I would jump on to give my two cents.

Tenyo has a good version of the effect but maybe not suitable for stage. More like a parlor version.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Spikes thru Balloon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL