The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Sven and ID tricks. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TJ Fritts
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of TJ Fritts
First let me state clearly and prominently: I don't want exposure. Period. That's not what I joined for and it's not what I'm posting for here.

A local "expert" goaded me into buying two "essential" tools for my magic kit. A Svengali Deck and an Invisible Deck. I have both and I have problems. I do not know if I'm actually bright enough for either. I know about thirty tricks with an ordinary deck of playing cards (as a magician in training, I think I'm obligated to say that phrase at least once per day) but with the Svengali deck I can think of two. An awesome AC that can last for days with an unsigned card and a "cut the cards and pick up the card on the top of the lower portion. I'll guess which card you cut to." Beyond that, I'm out of ideas. ID? I can think of one killer prediction trick and then I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone offer the names of a few beginner level tricks that specifically call for a SD or ID? I have Expert at the Card Table, Royal Road, Scarne on Card Tricks, and Mark Wilson's Complete Course. The problem is that I have so many new resources that, frankly, it's tough to dig in and find effects for specialty decks among all the other effects.

Lesson learned: buy a book, learn a book, then buy another book. Life's tough when you're stupid like me. Buying too much education at once will make you feel dumber rather than smarter.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Actually, this is a very, very, GOOD post.

With the books you mention, you seem mostly to be focusing on cards, you really have NO NEED for either of these decks.

For the most part, people only use these decks for one trick, as perhaps the ONLY card effect in an otherwise none card act. I have come across a FEW other good presentations for the ID orB/W deck but mostly in the mentalism literature.

There are more routines for the Sven but generally not routined together unless you're doing a pitch to sell it, lol. Card stab is nice Smile If I remember correctly there's a chapter on the Sven in the inexpensive book "The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks". Handled well you can generally fool magicians with a Sven deck because so many handle it badly.

You've learned a valuable lesson early, more power to you and good luck in your learning.
Geoff Pfeiffer
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Geoff Pfeiffer
Tj, Daryl has a very nice DVD on the Svengali deck it is worth looking into. As for the invisible deck, if the math is giving you some trouble, PM me and I will give you some advice which will help.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
From your post it sounds like maybe you were under the impression that you could perform several miracles with each of these decks in the same performance, but they are not really intended to be used that way. Most people find a favorite one (maybe two) and stick to those, but perform them at different times.

The most well known Svengali effect is the classic where they select a card and all the cards change into their selection.
This trick is an absolute mind-blower IF you haven't seen it before and/or don't know it's method.
But because Sven decks are included in so many magic sets and it has been so widely exposed it has lost it's impact for most people.
My favorite Sven effect is the predecessor to Brent Braun's Position Impossible. It's a CAAN effect. Google a video of it and then see if you can recreate a similar version (keeping in mind it won't be exactly the same) using your Sven deck.

Re: the ID, while there are different effects that can be done with it, it is generally agreed that nothing has topped the standard effect and it's the most popular for a reason.
It can also be used as an out for any trick using a selected card where you might find yourself in trouble. So some pros like to always have one in their back pocket just in case.

Since it sounds like you probably prefer effects with a regular deck and you don't seem too impressed with the standard routines which use these decks then my guess is that you will likely get bored with them quickly. But that's okay if that happens. We all have to follow our passions and head in the direction of what excites us and creates a feeling of enthusiasm.
Best of luck on your journey and enjoy the ride.
Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
139 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
Sounds like you have enough card magic at your finger tips to last a lifetime Smile

Trying to absorb one book at a time is good advice for anyone. If you start with Royal Road, you'll have a great foundation to build on.
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
For a couple of good and different applications, check out Alakazam's trick "365" and the June 29, 2016 edition of Cardopolis.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Sven and ID tricks. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL