The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Why is this funny??? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I had a die box as a 14 year old, and, sorry to say, I used the "standard presentation". I was too young to realize that I was making SUCKERS of the audience.

Jay Marshall and I were discussing die boxes, and, similar tricks, over coffee, one day. He brought out "Mike Kanter" die box, which he had "remodeled". He showed me his routine. He hadn't done it in years. GOOD! FUNNY! He said, you're welcome to use it!

I was repeating the same territory, about a year or so, too soon, and, was looking for a few bits that would "fit in", and, be practical for my needs.

I never had used HIPPITY HOP RABBITS, or a DIE BOX in my assembly show. --I toured all over the country, and, didn't know if the local magician might have done it. (The cat that has sat on the hot stove lid, doesn't sit on a cold one!!!) My tour, the coming fall, was for Dakota Assemblies. I KNEW that there were only a few magicians "up there", and, I knew them, and, what they did. So, I bought an English Die Box, and, did it for a whole season! It played GREAT!

Again, PRESENTATION, TEMPO, TIMING, TIME, made the difference.

Over the years, I've occasionally adlibbed a line, or a bit of business. and, it got a nice laugh. It went into the act! Much of my act began llke that!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I couldn't figure out why audiences laughed at some of the lines that I used in my mental act. Perhaps it was just the contrast, but I also remember laughs that Dunninger got from lines that wouldn't be worth a snicker if said off stage.
Rather than try to figure it out, I would write the lines down so I could remember to use it in the next show. Each laugh is worth it's weight in gold.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2017, jakeg wrote:
Each laugh is worth it's weight in gold.

Does everyone agree with this?

I do not think that all laughter is an expression of delight.

I think embarrassed laughter, nervous laughter, discomforted or uneasy laughter, confused laughter and other similar forms of laughter may not be so great.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Nothing in my act causes embarrassed, nervous, discomforted or uneasy laugHter, confused laughter, or any sort of laughter, other than good, clean, FUN. I planned it that way, when I was producing it.

My "motto" is KIS MIF (Keep It Simple -- Make It FUN) so, every laugh means that the audience is enjoying being entertained.

Out in California, a few years ago, a client told me, "You can work dirty if you like." I told him that I didn't know how.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Your right Opus. Laughter should never be caused by causing any individual to be embarrassed or hurt.
I should have mentioned it in my original post, because there is always at least one reader who is the master of the obvious, and has to spell it out.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
To my knowledge, and I readily admit I am newer to this than many of the folks here, laughter is always a release. Sometimes a minor release, sometimes a major release.

To that end, it can be beneficial to to elicit a bit of nervous laughter. To let off a little bit of the emotional build up and prepare the audience for climax of the routine. After all, if magic is to be an art, it should probably be able to provide more than simply being funny or "entertaining".
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2010, SeasideShowman wrote:
Curly Howard of The Three Stooges once said, "One night I was on stage and I went, "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk". The audience laughed. I kept it in the show."

Don't over think it.

I don't care if they're are laughing at me or laughing with me as long as they're laughing.

Second this...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
alan1954
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of alan1954
How did the silent film stars like Buster Keaton or Laurel and Hardy make us laugh without saying a word? How did they communicate "funny"?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Actors from the silent film era had to exaggerate expressions and movements so that the audience would understand the message that they were trying to convey. This carried over to the early talkies along with the actors that carried over.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP!

BTW...Stan Laurel came over here from England, with a "Sawing in Half" unit. His shoes had no heels, so the walk was funny!

On a movie set, before the day's shooting, Oliver Hardy would ask Stan Laurel, "How should we play this, Stan?"
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Forgot to meantion,: these exaggerations in the silent movies were a hold over from burlesque where the audience needed large movement to see what was happening.
If you want to see a great modern example, watch the British sitcom, Keeping Up Appearances. Patricia Rutledge is an absolute master.
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, mtpascoe wrote:
The line may not be funny, but somehow it strikes the audience as funny. Sometimes you just can't explain it.

Haha I agree. I have many lines which aren't inherently funny but when you say it at the right time and in the right way, they always get a laugh from the audience.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I’m retired now, but I had a few lines that got way more reaction than they should have. ( All stolen from others, mostly comedians)
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2010, Jeff Jenson wrote:
Ok this may be difficult to explain in typing but I will try...
In my stage shows I get ready to perform bill in lemon, I look at the audience and tell them, "I need to borrow something green" (pause), "I need to borrow something with numbers on it" (pause), I lean forward a little and say, "it's called money people."

Every time I do this 85% to 90% of the audience laughs. Why is this line funny???

I visualize the scene and I can tell it will be funny lines.

If try analyze those line, then look back when magicians as for borrow money from audiences, many will simply ask 'Anyone has a dollar bill to borrow?' some better will add 'The bigger the domination, the better the magic it will be...'

However, the way you present such action is totally different, you make the action of asking to borrow a money bill into a 3-phase line, each line it disclose something like a puzzle but only with 1/3, and the final sentence make the punchline. A standard 3 liner punchline, and it work perfectly.

I sincerely thanks for you sharing this one.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I would have to hear how it’s said. In my head, it sounds demeaning, and the audience may br laughing because they are uncomfortable.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2010, Jeff Jenson wrote:
Ok this may be difficult to explain in typing but I will try...
In my stage shows I get ready to perform bill in lemon, I look at the audience and tell them, "I need to borrow something green" (pause), "I need to borrow something with numbers on it" (pause), I lean forward a little and say, "it's called money people."

Every time I do this 85% to 90% of the audience laughs. Why is this line funny???

Buddy Hackett once said; when you're building a joke, the third statement will get a laugh.

I saw it, in an ironic sense, in "Star Trek - The Motion Picture;" the "probe" has appeared on the bridge of the Enterprise. Decker says to Checkov; "Don't move." Chekov responds; "Absolutely I vill not move." which was supposed to get the laugh. Then Kirk pops up with; "Nobody move." And the audience laughs at that because it's the third repetition.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2010, panlives wrote:
Laughter can sometimes be a polite way of expressing embarrassment.

Sometimes, the joke is on us...

This! Well known comedian said in interview that performers should really learn to regognize good laughs from bad ones. Simples way to tell the difference is to ask are you proud of the joke that got the laugh in the first place.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Reading through this thread, apparently I have a different view.
I did not think of money when it was mentioned to borrow something green nor did I think of money when it was mentioned to borrow something with numbers on it. So when the punchline hit it obviously was funny as in, "Duh, oh yeah! THAT is what he is refering to." I believe other audience members have thought or will think the same way.
Although possibly taken as demeaning, I enjoy that type of humor and I know others do too.
The demeaning aspect can be softened by facial expressions; Particular smile, wink, etc. or a follow up line that takes the focus off of the former line or a line that demeans oneself.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Why is this funny??? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL