The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mac King's Routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
Does Mac tip the rope routine in his penguin lecture? There are two rope routines taught....
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
I asked Mac directly about the rope routine where he bundles the rope up and does multiple cuts at all the folds then ends with varies knots that come off the rope...he said it is not out and doesn't intend to release it.
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2016, dbaronian wrote:
I asked Mac directly about the rope routine where he bundles the rope up and does multiple cuts at all the folds then ends with varies knots that come off the rope...he said it is not out and doesn't intend to release it.

Aw maann... too bad for us, but good for him. Smile
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Is this mac kings other rope routine . is it on his lecture download. I know most of the moves, I have most rope routines on dvd/ videos, https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments......e_trick/
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
That's the routine...can't find the link to purchase the effect.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
That's not for sale, I have just got his lecture download, it shows explanation for his other rope routine.
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
Ok thanks for the help...
Viking Erik
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Viking Erik
I took family to Vegas a few months ago & got the discount tix on the strip for Mac King show & that rope routine was one of the highlights.
Extremely well done regardless if you know the workings or not. Just like watching a skillful master performing the linking rings.
FelixKraus
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of FelixKraus
Haven't seen it in person, but it looks amazing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmI9uwYzH9o
Bella Dans
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
20 Posts

Profile of Bella Dans
Looks like a very entertaining rope routine, thanks!
I heard a lot of thing about Mac King, he is amazing.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On May 28, 2003, Michael Dustman wrote:
I think everyone here is talking about 2 different routines.

Mac sells a manuscript that is based on a routine that he performed quite a number of years ago. To the best of my knowledge, Mac no longer performs this routine in his act. I purchased it from him at a lecture in 1994, and I will have to check, but I think he specifically states that he no longer performs it. It is a 3-phase Cut and Restored Rope routine, for which he later sold the rights to Copperfield who used it in his 1991 TV special (although he changed the 3rd phase).

The routine that Mac performs in his act now is where he takes a 6 ft piece of rope, folds it in half, and half again, and half again, so that he ends up with 16 equal pieces of rope, which he then restores into one long rope with 16 knots. He then slides all of the knots off the rope and throws them in the audience as a souvenier. A great routine, of which I don't know the origins, but it is a killer.

Again, I will have to dig Mac's notes out, but I am pretty sure he states that the tricks he teaches in his lecture notes are based on routines that he liked, but for one reason or another, did not fit into his current show, so he wanted to pass them on somewhere.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Michael

I have to agree it is KILLER! Just watched it several times and just LOVE that ending, which I can only describe as SUPER VISUAL. Is the manuscript available? In other words, has Mac released it for sale, and can I get it anywhere?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On May 28, 2003, Michael Dustman wrote:
I think everyone here is talking about 2 different routines.

Mac sells a manuscript that is based on a routine that he performed quite a number of years ago. To the best of my knowledge, Mac no longer performs this routine in his act. I purchased it from him at a lecture in 1994, and I will have to check, but I think he specifically states that he no longer performs it. It is a 3-phase Cut and Restored Rope routine, for which he later sold the rights to Copperfield who used it in his 1991 TV special (although he changed the 3rd phase).

The routine that Mac performs in his act now is where he takes a 6 ft piece of rope, folds it in half, and half again, and half again, so that he ends up with 16 equal pieces of rope, which he then restores into one long rope with 16 knots. He then slides all of the knots off the rope and throws them in the audience as a souvenier. A great routine, of which I don't know the origins, but it is a killer.

Again, I will have to dig Mac's notes out, but I am pretty sure he states that the tricks he teaches in his lecture notes are based on routines that he liked, but for one reason or another, did not fit into his current show, so he wanted to pass them on somewhere.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Michael

I have to agree it is KILLER! Just watched it several times and just LOVE that ending, which I can only describe as SUPER VISUAL. Is the manuscript available? In other words, has Mac released it for sale, and can I get it anywhere?

It is not available, I asked him about a month ago.
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
coreyw
View Profile
New user
Missouri
11 Posts

Profile of coreyw
I think what makes Mac King's routine so great is the patter. Rope routines seem to devolve into "hey I cut this and now it's back, isn't that neat?" but he focuses on telling about how he learned all of this from his grandpa and why the routine is important to him (although I'm thinking grandpa didn't teach him this one, but maybe I'm cynical). If I'm recalling it all correctly that is....
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It's the "THREE Ps", Corey!

PERFORMER, PATTER, PRESENTATION!

As my mentors told me when I was starting out, back in the '40s: "It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!"

Mac is a friend. He and his pal Lance Burton, usta sit in the row just ahead of me and Gene Anderson, at Abbott's Get Together, when they were just starting out. They got booked at a small amusement park, and, did MANY shows per day. They both earned every thing they've gotten! Mac's rope routine didn't just "happen"! --And, he is keeping it "tight"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Mac King is a GREAT Magician, and he has MORE than paid his dues!

More than his routine, I think that Mac's PHILOSOPHY of performing Magic, in general, and Rope magic, specifically, would be well served to fully understand.

Check Mac's intro to Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic and you will understand what I mean. Mac pretty well says...that a well-rounded working knowledge of all-things-Magic is pretty much a requirement to be an all-around General Practictioner of Magic, and will ALWAYS help you out of a jam.

This knowledge comes at a price: And the price is: READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN ABOUT THE ART OF PERFORMING AS A MAGICIAN, Do Your Homework, Practice, Practice, and Practice.....then practice even MORE! And, I've said this before: Get a Mentor who will be brutally honest with you regarding your Performing Ability......and pay attention.

Tricks alone won't do the job.............You have to PAY YOUR DUES to become REALLY GOOD AS A MAGICIAN!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mac King's Routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL