The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Meeting Roy Kueppers to pick up my Walking Liberty Set (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habanero
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Habanero
I contacted Roy Kueppers many months ago in search of a coin set that would allow me to learn and perform the content found on Eric Jones Metal 1,2 and 3 DVDs. He made the recommendation that I do his Walking Liberty S***l set with an OXF !@#$**r. I sent the money via PayPal, and eagerly anticipated my order. After many months of emails, and frustration on my end, I called him. He ended up being a really nice guy on the phone, and indicated that he was going to be in town the following weekend for a magic convention. I decided to meet him there to pick up my order. He sincerely apologized for any delay or misunderstanding about my order.
When I showed up, it was great to meet him in person. He is a super nice guy, and he was able to show me more of his work, and talked to me about his craft. Met his son too, who is learning the trade as well.
I walked away that day with a killer set of Walking Liberties. Got the Darkened effect, and you can totally tell he did some excellent work on them. They have very little "talk" as you rub them together. And the OXF !@#$**r is crazy cool. Also picked up a Hopping Halves set from him which includes a Son and Moon, as well as one of his leather coin holders which I really like because it lays flat.
I appreciate Roy for hooking me up with this stuff. It was worth the wait, and he is a great guy to meet in person.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I have the same Walking Liberty OXF set from Roy as well as a few other things. He's always been super nice over email and good about answering questions but my orders have all taken about 3 months to come. The work was custom and beautiful so as long you go in with that sort of lead time expectation.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Great stuff perhaps while your there you could ask him to check his emails if possible Smile
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I might suggest. if this is custom coin work, allow three months and don't sweat it. I am a jeweler . this stuff takes time and incredible patience. it is really good that you can even
get this stuff. you have to be making this fine precision stuff to understand. it is not like cooking a big mac in Mcdonalds. it can take forever to make. so please consider giving Roy lots of time.
there are unpredictable variables in this type of art!!!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I don't think people (generally) begrudge a craftsman the time it takes. Where problems arise is when a craftsman is not up front with turn-around time, or when good, quick communication during the pre-sale discussion is substituted for a much lesser standard, post sale.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
12 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
Countrymaven is absolouttely right. The reason because I stopped my activity in craft magic coin,is, I was missing time for my custommers. If you want to keep a nice reputation, you have to be the best you can in each part of your business. You have to take time with each customer for understanding exactly what he need, making the coins in the shortest time you can, with the highest quality you can. All this stuff take a time you can't imagine and if it's not your main activity you're working all days and nights. And when you're a knowed craftmann like Roy kueppers, Jamie schoolcraft, Todd Lassen, you receive a lot and a lot of mails each with all differents requests, to follow that with all time the same attention and concentration is quite impossible, but all are making the best they can.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
There have been 'a few' negative posts concerning Roy being hard to contact at times, or taking too long to complete an order, but I've yet to read a single complaint about his products. Habanero, you are fortunate to have met the man and his son. I agree he is a very polite and easy-going gent, something I picked up on after our first telephone conversation. The set of Canadian silver dollars + [ he made for me are beautiful: never had a shell fit so well.

I would recommend Roy to anyone who wants the best at a reasonable price.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I've never had a single issue in a single transaction with Roy that had a problem. He always answers when I call and he delivers what I order!
'nuff said!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Wanted to chime in here and say I recently ordered a Walking Liberty C/S coin from Roy. He makes the silver gaffs to order and I received mine in just under 3 weeks. It looks PERFECT. I'm so pleased.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Roy has done several projects for me.
And all of them have been perfect.
A great guy to talk with also.
Todd
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
Although I check the MC almost every day, I rarely post because I am a little put off by so many of the meaningless "me too's" and the personal sniping that clog some of the threads, but this is one time I will make an exception as I think satisfied customers should always try to counter some of the negative static generated by online posters emboldened by the anonymity of their screennames.

Last March Roy and his son came to the Portland Magic Jam and during one of the lulls in the dealer room I approached him with the specifics of a custom project I had floated with him two years earlier but for which I had not found the correct coins yet. We reached a handshake deal on specifics, compensation and a timeline as I needed my project finished in time for my mother's ninetieth birthday next week. Despite one little 'hiccup' with crossing emails in June, Roy was diligent both with online correspondence, pictures of work in progress, and phone calls that even tracked me down in the North Cascades of WA when I thought I was vacationing out of cell contact with the outside world for a while. When he verified a shipping date, my completed coin sets arrived in WA less than 72 hours after he posted them over a weekend from NY.

The finished work--polished joints, edges, precise milling--was beyond my expectations and I am now the proud owner of two unique pieces of Roy's craftsmanship.

I would commission further custom work without question; in fact, I already have another project to propose to him but I know that it will take about 3-5 months to have what I want. As long as you understand you are not dealing with Amazon and the creator is not going to whip out your project in a single day or even a week, you will not be disappointed.

My testimonial was not solicited by Roy and my favorable comments were not part of our agreement for the work, but I think credit should go to those who actually produce the tools of our art.

As a kid I grew up near renowned magical woodworker Warren Hamilton (the original Joanne Card Duck, Yogi Bear, etc.) and was horrified to see him throw in his burn barrel newly-completed apparatus which had occupied hours and days but did not meet his personal standards of quality control. Magic would be a much finer art if more creators had similar standards of integrity.

A sincere thank you, Roy!

Charlie
Lakewood WA
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
jcollingwood0
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jcollingwood0
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2017, Habanero wrote:
I contacted Roy Kueppers many months ago in search of a coin set that would allow me to learn and perform the content found on Eric Jones Metal 1,2 and 3 DVDs. He made the recommendation that I do his Walking Liberty S***l set with an OXF !@#$**r. I sent the money via PayPal, and eagerly anticipated my order. After many months of emails, and frustration on my end, I called him. He ended up being a really nice guy on the phone, and indicated that he was going to be in town the following weekend for a magic convention. I decided to meet him there to pick up my order. He sincerely apologized for any delay or misunderstanding about my order.
When I showed up, it was great to meet him in person. He is a super nice guy, and he was able to show me more of his work, and talked to me about his craft. Met his son too, who is learning the trade as well.
I walked away that day with a killer set of Walking Liberties. Got the Darkened effect, and you can totally tell he did some excellent work on them. They have very little "talk" as you rub them together. And the OXF !@#$**r is crazy cool. Also picked up a Hopping Halves set from him which includes a Son and Moon, as well as one of his leather coin holders which I really like because it lays flat.
I appreciate Roy for hooking me up with this stuff. It was worth the wait, and he is a great guy to meet in person.

Hey there, I know this is several months past your original post, yet I'm curious to ask. Would you have preferred your [ of your OxF set to have been tefloned? I just placed an order with Roy, and though he says he doesn't telfon his OxF [ he kindly offered to accommodate.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Does anyone know if Roy supplies tracking to his deliveries
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I'm in Canada and nI don't recall Roy giving tracking with any of my orders to him. I think Canada Post charges a lot extra for tracking
Ed
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
The postal system in Canada is different than the U.S. in that there is an additional charge for tracked packages.

Roy is easy to get along with and I'm sure he would send a package with tracking, if that's what the customer requested. However, they most likely be responsible for the extra postage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Meeting Roy Kueppers to pick up my Walking Liberty Set (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL