The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Explaining what is an illusion (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
I'd say that anyone (layperson) who watches a magic show can tell themselves that it 's not magic, because INTELLECTUALLY they don't believe that "magic" was the cause of what happened when the magician performed the magical act.

However, the intellect always tries to protect the emotions. But, if the audience's intellect becomes trapped by various circumstantial factors that are intentionally built into the effect, their intellect will be cornered into believing that the impossible has happened. At that point their attention will shift away from examining it "intellectually", and they'll begin to believe it "emotionally". The impact of magic is on the emotions, and that's when/where the illusion takes place. It is only when the audience is forced to surrender their intellect, and admit on a gut level that there is no explanation for what they've witnessed, that the magician can reach their emotions, to create the illusion.

I think all magic should aim for creating this kind of outcome. The creation of an illusion is an art form. With practice it can be done.
-Chris
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
I always say, "An illusion is something that looks real but is not."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
See my post of June 16, 2016!!! You are only explaining HALF OF IT!

I think that too many people respond to "something" on a thread, without reading the entire thread.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Hi 1853 -- I agree with you - illusion is something that LOOKS REAL. It is convincing, absolutely it is. I think the magician's role is to take whatever prop/technique/move/sleight and bring it to another level that can be believed to be influenced by the supernatural. It makes for great theater!

Best,
Chris
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Chris! Please scroll up and read my posts, starting with two posts on 6-4-18 thru 5-13-18.

In another thread, you asked about my book. I talk about things like "ILLUSION" in the book.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Ok Dick --- will check that now, thanks.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Hey Dick -- you've got a lot of great advice and an easy hands-on delivery.. at least I've read it that way. I'll have to take what you've written, and come back in several days AFTER really reading each word you've written. It's better to take enough time to visualize what you've said, instead of simply agreeing that I understand the words written on the page... I think you can understand my meaning. As simple as it is to only read your words, I'd prefer to "walk around" with it, because it does describe a physical action (to be acted out in the mind).

Thank you!
Chris
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As the actor in the play, said, "I do believe you've got it! --Let it "soak in" for a day or two!

Sorry to say, some "magicians" (note the " " !) never understand the basic terminology!
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Hi Dick - thanks for the note - BTW, I searched out info on your book.. you've certainly done your share of traveling. Very nice!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! When I was "on the road", I was really "on the road"! For almost 50 years! I toured "coast to coast" and, "border to border".

J. B. Bobo, and I, "held the record", I believe, for playing the "knowledge boxes" on the "kerosene lamp circuit"!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2017, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Profraj123 -

You might want to start that thread in a different area of the Magic Café. I'm not sure what area to suggest (maybe ask in the "I want to see a manager" area for suggestions as to which area for your topic). But this area is more about children's magic shows, and the KIDabra organization (and their conventions).

- Donald

I asked the "management" to MOVE THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO THE NEW TO MAGIC, "TABLE". I think that too many new guys don't understand much of our basic terminology. Donald Dunphy thinks (thought) so , too.

The "KidAbra Korner" seems to be "looked at" ONCE A YEAR!

A couple years ago, some guy wrote that he considered an "ILLUSION" to be a "TRICK WITH A BIG BOX".

I refuted his "definition", and, explained what an illusion was. He NEVER RESPONDED, AND, I'VE NEVER SEEN HIS NAME AGAIN.

When Wally submitted his comment/question, I wrote a "few" words, to explain. It appears that I wasted my time, as the thread is BURIED in a forum that only a very few, look at, about once a year.

If you (the current reader) is interested, I would hope that you would also request that the thread, concerning "what is an illusion" be moved to some other forum, like New To Magic.

I know that there are a very FEW "members" who don't like what I write, but, I also know that MANY write PMs to me, thanking me for explaining something. Not only comments in a thread, but, PMs, and also emails, even, letters via the US Postal Service.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Dick -

Feel free to start a new topic in the other area like "New to Magic?" area, where you feel it would be more widely read. Copy and paste some of your own posts.

Like I've said before, some people who wander into this section on The Magic Café are actually looking for "The Little Darlings" area, and post in here thinking they'll find lots of conversations with fellow kids and family entertainers. But this area is very, very quiet.

Often someone who posts in this area has never been to KIDabra or KAX. Maybe not even aware that those events exist. (FYI, if you can't attend in person, there are alternatives like paying for the LiveCast of the Convention. That gives you access to watch videos of the live event and many lectures, and also play them back later on. Those videos are only available to people who pay a fee.)

BTW, KIDabra has an active group on Facebook, with lots of conversations. For KIDabra fans, that's where you'll find lots of engagement from other KIDabra fans.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Donald!

Thanks, much, for your comments!

In the five or six years since I "arrived" in the Café, I know that I've initiated one post (possibly two). Having been performing, for 20 years as a part time pro,m and almost 50 years as a full time pro. I've had enough experience that I can often offer an answer to beginners' questions.

That's what "happened" in the thread about illusion.

In a few years, I'll be a nonagenarian. I remain curious about the technical skills of the space age, but, don't quite have the energy to learn all those skills! When Jon Racherbaumer kvetched me into writing my book, I found it necessary to learn how to use a computer. I manage to get 'ink on paper", but, I'm far from being a maven! I vaguely remember, about five or six years ago, struggling to "copy & paste", but, I doubt that I could do it, now!

Maybe, I'll just initiate a thread, in the "New to Magic" forum, and, suggest that those who would like to know about "illusion" should go to the KidAbra forum.

Part of what got me writing what I did, was to help the magician(s) who had found it necessary to beg, children to keep them from interrupting their show. Some even offered bribes, to the "interrupters"!

Again, thanks for your interest!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Explaining what is an illusion (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL