The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine Live Tour 2017 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
David Blaine announced today his live US tour, tickets go on Sale March 31st. http://www.livenation.com/artists/167281/david-blaine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wish him the best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Concert tickets dates http://www.davidblaine.com/live2017/

Hashtag #davidblainelive on social media
phase27
View Profile
Loyal user
Tx
228 Posts

Profile of phase27
Looking forward to this!
"Life is only as good as the memories we make..." -K.Roe
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Got to hand it to him...he has had an undeniable impact on the magic profession.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
David Blaine's Live Tour started this week, if/when anyone's seen it, would love to hear your thoughts and review.
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
140 Posts

Profile of ddamen
I just saw it in NorCal. The entire venue was packed... I'm talking rockstar concert turnout. I did not like every part, but overall it was fantastic. Fooled me on several occasions. He successfully did effects from his specials that I was positive could only look clean on camera. And he went through serious physical trauma; it was unnerving to see it live. Asi Wind handled intermission and my layman friends enjoyed it. As a magician, I was a little bored because the effects were just standard mentalism plots. But I guess they call them classics for a reason

tl;dr: highly recommended
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So nice to see the knock against him of "he can't do live shows" is no longer going to happen. GOOD for him!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Let us know what you thought of the performance!
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
So I just saw the show and my overall impressions… Very Good. There was never a dull moment as some (including myself) might have been expecting, just based solely on David’s typically monotone character from his TV specials. He was quite charming and funny and had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. It was a very good, and interactive show (talking about both people and technology), and almost every effect used one or more audience members.

He started by reading the disclaimer usually read or displayed at the beginning of a television special warning audience members not to try any of these stunts at home. Pretty funny way to start off (David talks about trying to be safe… ‘sort of’. He used that short little joke ‘call back’ a few times during the show. It The humor is a side of David that I haven’t seen before.).

David gave almost everyone who volunteered a souvenir or prop from the effect ranging from a very large & nicely framed item (not saying what it was), decks of cards, and even a T-Shirt (complete with it’s own coat hanger, wink, wink) used during one of the effects. Several moments during the show had people cringing, turning away, or covering their children’s, or even their own eyes.

The 1st Act started with a mix of stunt and close-up magic. Two of the effects involved different sharp objects and either his face or his hands. A mentalism effect early in the show ending with him giving away a very nice gift for the lucky person selected. His 2nd Act consisted mostly of stunts demonstrating his water spouting and regurgitation skills in various forms; both very shocking and exciting, especially for those who may have never seen his most recent two TV specials! The audible gasps and visible facial expressions of the volunteers brought up on stage, and those from audience members all around me, were priceless! The types of reactions that he drew out of people, from shock & amazement to being disgusted or horrified is something we all, as magicians, strive to achieve. Well done, David!

Between the 1st & 2nd acts, Asi Wind did a very good, trio of effects which baffled the crowd and kept them very entertained with close-up magic, lots of comedy and both mental and physical skill feats while Blaine prepared for the 2nd Act. Asi gave away the prop used during his 1st and 2nd effects.

There was a short, 15 minute intermission before the 3rd act which included his last ‘big’ piece (which was believed to be the finale), but there ended up being a 10-15 minute Q&A session with Blaine sitting on the edge of the stage soaking wet, and he even performed another 'mini' stunt and trick at the very end which ended in a standing ovation.

My only disappointment was that Blaine did not perform the ‘self’ bullet catch which I thought was being promoted for this tour in his most recent TV special. The show was so good though, I didn’t even realize I didn’t get to see the bullet catch until after the show was over.

If you want a breakdown of the show, I’d say 10% of the show was close-up magic, 15% could be considered Parlor/Close-Up, and the other 75% was stunt-related. 90% of the entire show was stuff you may have seen Blaine and Asi perform elsewhere if you're someone who watches a lot of magic or is familiar with both of their bodies of work. The show was about 2 hours long in total. I thought the show was well worth the $75 I paid for my ticket.

Merchandise being sold included Tour T-Shirts for $30, hats for $25, White Lions (red backs, series B) for $10, (white) Gold Foil Gatorbacks for $20, A Limited Edition Black Tour edition deck of cards (signed) for $50 and a 2-deck set (which included the $20 & $50 decks) in a white tuck box (signed) for $100).

Here are some pics from the show yesterday (including before and after the show)
http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/acorte......Tour2017

I hope you enjoyed the review even though I tried very hard to keep it as generic and non-descript as possible.

Thanks and Enjoy!
~Tony
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, acortest wrote:

Here are some pics from the show yesterday (including before and after the show)
http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/acorte......Tour2017

How long did you have to wait out by his tour bus to get pictures with Blaine after the show?
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
It seemed like only about 30 minutes after the show ended. I assume he exited just after he was done with the 'Meet & Greet' for the VIP ticketholders. Also, the folks who volunteered during the show got a pass to stick around afterwards and meet him up near the front row for pics & autographs.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
According to Blaine's website and facebook page, all shows until June 26th have been postponed due to a family bereavement.

June 21 - INDIANAPOLIS, IN
June 23 - NORTHFIELD, OH
June 24 - CINCINNATI, OH
June 25 - PITTSBURGH, PA
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
Anyone else seen the show in the past 2-3 weeks?
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
I just read a great write-up / review of the David Blaine Live Tour show over on 'The Jerx' website
http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2017/7/11/sh......ine-live

The review is of his performance in Syracuse, New York on June 27th, 2017.

The author goes into a little more detail that I did in my review above. If you're planning on seeing the show, I would hold off on reading it until afterward as it may spoil some of the surprises in the show. However, if they've already come through your town or if they aren't coming through your area and you know you won't be able to attend (for whatever reason), then I would go ahead and read it. It's very well written.

Enjoy!
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
Saw the show in Charlotte a couple days ago. It was great. Much better than I expected. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole show. The show started late due to the crowd still trying to get into the arena. David went out into the crowd and took pictures and talked to pass the time. Also, Asi Wind does a couple things are really good.
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Check this out on facebook

"Tonight I experienced something amazing: I understood for the first time what people felt when watching Houdini a century ago. Electrifying, Amazing: go see David Blaine's live show. JUST GO." https://www.facebook.com/richard.kaufman

If it comes anywhere near us we will see it again and again!!!

Dorothy Dietrich and Dick Brookz
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Mike Webb
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Mike Webb
Awesome show!!! Got to meet and hang out with David and take pictures! Cringe worthy performances at it's finest! Five stars!!!
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of acortest
Looks like he timed his tour to do a show on July 12, the first night of the Combined IBM/SAM convention in Louisville, KY. I'll bet that drew a nice crowd of magicians to that show.

Thanks Richard Kaufman for posting that great pic of you and other magi with Blaine after the show that night.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
According to Blaine's facebook page, the postponed shows have new dates.

11.30.17 Pittsburgh, PA
12.01.17 Cincinnati, OH
12.03.17 Cleveland, OH
12.04.17 Indianapolis, IN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine Live Tour 2017 (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL