The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Meet the Jack - Jorge Garcia (a Magic Portal review) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Meet the Jack – Jorge Garcia
$30.00
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=59023
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
161 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
I also agree with the previous post and add that Jorge Garcia is a man to watch out for; his mentalism in some areas as well as his dapper dress code is comparable to our own Derren Brown.

The DVD is terrific value and for anyone wishing to gain a good foothold in the art of mentalism it is highly recommended.

The Book authored by Jorge "7 Mysteries" which sadly is out of print is also a worthy investment.While there is some overlap in effects performed on the DVD there are other gems within this alternative media format.

The writing style and graphics is very refreshing with some very good inside knowledge and words of wisdom to enhance your performance.

Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
foretold
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of foretold
I am sad to share that I just received an email from Pablo Amira in Chile to say that Jorge has suffered a massive heart attack and has died. I did not know Jorge really well but he made a lasting impression on me when I had the opportunity to spend several hours with him a couple of years ago. I became an instant fan. He was quick to make you feel as though you were good friends and we had such a fun time time as he shared and performed some of his favorite effects. He will be greatly missed. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and worldwide friends.
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
161 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
I echo your words foretold and feel that Jorge had a lot more to offer the Mentalist community.

HE will be very much admired for his work and I am glad I had the opportunity to know him through his work all be it briefly.

Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
I am glad he was able to get this DVD project out before we lost him. It will be his legacy.
StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
REVIEW: Meet The Jack by Jorge Garcia and Alakazam Magic
RATING: 9 out of 10!
FULL REVIEW: Meet the Jack by Jorge Garcia is an Alakazam project in which Argentinian Mentalist, Jorge Garcia performs 8 mentalism and mind reading routines in an intimate parlor setting and then explains the secrets to every part of his act. The Jack, as he was known, shares some real gems and I highly recommend this project. Unfortunately, the Jack prematurely and tragically passed away a few months ago in April 2017. There is no better was to honor his memory than to learn from him. I did not know about the Jack before this DVD and I now mourn his loss.

The DVD is an hour and forty six minutes and is divided into two sections. The first are the performances and the second are the explanations. The performances take place in a small ornate room with dark curtains, candles, an hourglass, stained-glass windows and bookshelves in front of a small live audience. During the explanatory section of the trick, Garcia explains and credits the history of each trick along with Peter Pietro Nardi. They discuss how to perform the trick, brainstorm a bit about various ideas and most importantly teach you the secrets. Some of the tricks require homemade gimmicks and you are informed how to create the gimmicks.

The ad copy accurately describes the 8 routines so I will address a few of my favorites here.

To Lovecraft is a version of the Pegasus Page effect. Here the performer riffles through a book and the spectator stops him at a certain page. There is no force of a specific page. An envelope is used as a bookmark and to mark the page and the spectator chooses a word from that page. Amazingly, the envelope contains a handwritten word inside which matches the spectator’s chosen word. When the spectator then opens the closed book to the selected page, it is missing — it is torn out of the book. The torn-out page then appears inside an envelope that the spectator has been sitting on the entire time. The rips on the torn-out page is compared to the rips in the book and it is truly the exact page. The book can then be given out to the spectator as a souvenir.

Another favorite of mine was L-Mental. In L-Mental, 3 spectators are sitting on chairs behind the Jack and truly out of his sight. They each take an envelope with an image; either a rock, a sheet of paper or a scissors. The spectators continuously change seats and sheets of paper and the Jack is able to divine who would have won a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors every time. At the end, he removes a prediction which accurately predicts who wins the final round. This trick is so fooling and so amazing and so simple! I cannot wait to try this!

Project Fear is a great routine in which a spectator writes a phobia of theirs on a business card and places it onto a stack of business cards each with a different phobia written on it. When the spectator concentrates on what they fear, the Jack is able to read their mind. This is a great trick and requires some minor arts and crafts work and the purchase of some things to make the trick work. It reminds me of a lottery prediction effect that I perform. The arts and crafts work is simple and this is a great trick because you are asking someone to think about their greatest fear. Very evocative and impactful.

The Jack also performs a few card tricks which are worthwhile. I particularly enjoyed A Think and Stop, which you can perform with a shuffled and borrowed deck. Its origin is from the classic magic book, Greater Magic, and it is easy to learn and perform.

The DVD also comes with a 44 page PDF that contains excerpts of the performed routines from Garcia’s book, 7 Mysteries. The PDF is excellent and I will soon be looking for a copy of 7 Mysteries for my library. At the time of the writing of this review, the DVD retails for $30.

This is a great mentalism DVD with 8 very strong routines that anyone can perform. This purchase is a fantastic value.

This mentalism DVD is available at your favorite Murphy’s Magic dealer.

www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Thanks for the reviews Jim Canaday and Straight Talk Magic Reviews.. I thoroughly enjoyed this dvd and hated to hear that Jorge passed very unexpectedly.
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Excellent DVD. Some great thinking and routining!
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
It would be great if Alakazam made a streaming option. Due to travel I prefer this. Hopefully, this will be an option soon!
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2018, Waters. wrote:
It would be great if Alakazam made a streaming option. Due to travel I prefer this. Hopefully, this will be an option soon!

I hate to hijack this thread to hard, but I will never fully understand this sentiment. If you buy a dvd you can rip it to your computer which would give you access on a plane, or in a non-wifi setting, unlike a pure stream. Further, you could upload said video file to dropbox, so you could in fact stream it. But finally, you would have monetary equity in the form of a dvd which you could resell should the material not be to your liking. Alternatively, most magic companies that do offer streams typically discount the digital version so modestly that you are effectively sacrificing all the benefits I mentioned for hardly any savings whatsoever, AND taking a risk that if the producer goes belly up you will be left with nothing. Rather than push the market towards a scenario that is more detrimental to consumers, I wish more magicians would insist on traditional media, or cost savings at the streaming level that would reflect the efficiencies producers gain by abondoning physiical media. Just my two cents of course...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Meet the Jack - Jorge Garcia (a Magic Portal review) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL