The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shadow Illusion appear from a frame or wall how owns the rights?? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
I am looking to see who really owns this idea. Below are three videos of 3 different magi doing basically the same effect.
It all seems to come from Copperfield's Great Wall. Just clarifying. Thanks!!

https://youtu.be/CV98J9T6SLE
https://youtu.be/2eeCKJ9i9og
https://youtu.be/uijReOk60o8
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Your question is not specific. are you asking about the shadow effect used?

Copperfield's Great Wall was very different, it was not a shadow, as I remember, but an impression of his face and hands pushing on the curtain/cloth in a ghostly manner.
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
The effect of a shadow coming out of a wall pic etc. Just asking who owns it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hopefully some of the illusion experts will ring in here at some point. I can only say, that I 1st seen this type of effect by Brett Daniels, many years ago, in what he calls his Marilyn Monroe illusion.

This type of effect is listed in the Owen Magic Catalog as The Artist Dream #5018, and they credit David Devant as the creator. The David Devant book published by the defunct company Supreme Magic in England, was recently redistributed from old stock. Unfortunately when I tried to secure a copy, all were sold on every website. I have also heard it called Frame of Life. Owen also makes a version they call Movie Star Illusion #7002. http://www.owenmagic.com/Illusions/Illus......s_5.html

wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Not talking about the Artist Dream. I am solely talking about the shadow coming out of wall or pic.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
David's was certain;y the shadow "emerging" from a flat surface. The first video sure seems like a rip off of one half of David's "Walking through a Wall" illusion he did on stage for years and also in China. It was technically a different effect but the exact same method so we can only say... would this illusionist have come up with this in the absence of David's effect? I would say no. The second one was a classic shadow box which has been around for many years. The last one is VERY similar to David's look. Slightly different method and effect but again... Would he have created that without David's original effect? Probably not.
Ray Pierce
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Thanks Ray. I do like it as an appearance, hence why I was asking who really owns it to contact. However, I also couldn't ignore the fact that the basic effect is Copperfield's originally. Thanks for your insight and confirming my thoughts.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ray should know... he was there when the props were being built for the Great Wall Illusion!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
wanmagic
View Profile
Regular user
tulsa, ok
184 Posts

Profile of wanmagic
Awesome Ray would love to hear your story sometime.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, JNeal wrote:
Ray should know... he was there when the props were being built for the Great Wall Illusion!

lol... I thought we both were! There were a lot of magical memories created in Don's driveway. The floating donut illusion alone was a game changer Smile
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes Ray... you are right! We BOTH were there, and well into the night as I recall... just getting it ready to ship to China.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I don't see how anyone could claim they "own the rights" to this effect. It has been done in countless Horror movies. I would spend more time developing my own unique interesting version than worrying about that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shadow Illusion appear from a frame or wall how owns the rights?? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL