The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Magic Stores in New Orleans?? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I'll be in New Orleans for a visit in a few months time. Any magic stores still open in New Orleans?

Ed
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, TX
250 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
Any ideas? Anyone? I am in New Orleans right now Smile I just got here.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I've left message on the SAM thread for members of local 36 to contact me, but have not heard a word. You can go to the national SAM site and they will list a cupola names in NO for contact purposes. Same with the IBM site. Good luck.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
There doesn't seem to be much happening magic wise in New Orleans. I tried contacting Earle Christenberry Jr. who is listed on the IBM page for the New Orleans IBM chapter and received no reply from him.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
When I was there in the 60s there was only one small store in the French Quarter and my friend Gottlieb Kogel who sold stuff out of his house.
There was an active IBM and SAM with occasional combined conventions. The aftermath of Katrina was probably when everything died. Everyone in the flood zone lost everything, water was as high as the second story. I tried contacting people but they had moved. Christenberry, Fountain, Adams, et al, had quite nice collections that was probably destroyed. Even Ralph Fountains relative, Pete Fountain, the clarinet player lost his whole collection of instruments. I can't imagine what it would feel like to lose a lifetime of magic collection.
Next time try the names on the SAM site when trying to contact people. SAM was always more active than IBM in NO. Also, Christenberry is up into his eightys, maybe he has lost the feeling.
I have had a post in the SAM section here at the Café for quite awhile asking for current SAM members to contact me, no luck in getting a response.
slowdini
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of slowdini
Hey guys, sorry I'm a little late in catching this thread. I live in New Orleans and with the exception of a few street magicians from out of town that work the Quarter, there is not much here for magic. There used to be a Magic shop on Canal Street when I was a kid- 1976. Not sure when it closed. Richard Kaufman knows some details about this store. In the 80's, there was a magic shop in the Jax Brewery mall and at some point there was one in the River Walk mall. The last magic shop was in the French Quarter, in the 90's right off of Decatuer Street. They closed before Katrina. I do know that John Racherbaumer has a weekly gathering, informal, at an Applebees restrnt on mondays, 7p.m. to midnight. I also heard that David Hughes, an insurence agent, has a large magic collection.
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
Didn't Harry Anderson have a magic shop in New Orleans?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 15:32, swayne100 wrote:
Didn't Harry Anderson have a magic shop in New Orleans?

He did. Then Katrina hit. He stayed. But the election where they re-elcted their corrupt mayor Nagin was the last straw and he moved on to Asheville, N.C. Their loss!
Hugo
View Profile
New user
Texas
46 Posts

Profile of Hugo
Of course, there's always Voodoo Authentica if you're into THAT kind of magic... Smile

http://www.voodooshop.com/
Amazin Doug
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
53 Posts

Profile of Amazin Doug
I'll be in New Orleans next month. Still no magic shop in such a large city?
tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
165 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
There hasn't been a magic shop within hours of the city for at least 10 years.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hi all--just bumping this in hopes of an update; I'm headed to NOLA today for a few days. Any non-voodoo magic happenings in the area? Thanks, Jay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Magic Stores in New Orleans?? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL