The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Power of the Phone... (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I got an email from someone who knew someone who had seen my show two years ago. He's having a company event in November...and he wanted to know if I would be available for it.

First, I went to the site of the company he works for. (It was cleverly concealed in the signature of his email.) I didn't spend long there -- just enough time to get a sense for what this company is -- and what it does.

Second: I picked up the phone and talked to the guy about his company, the people who were coming to the event, their general age range...whether or not they were drinkers...what kind of past entertainment stood out in his mind as something that REALLY worked -- and what didn't, etc.

Third: I explained why I feel comfortable quoting on the show -- and my reasons for feeling that way. (Pikers take every show that comes their way -- even if they are a terrible match for the audience. A very bad and shortsighted business model.)

He said something interesting. He admitted that he'd contacted five different performers. Two magicians. One comic. One game show company...and me...for this event.

"You are the only one who has called me directly," he said. He went on to tell me that two people had emailed him with information and their sales packages. He hadn't even heard from the other two. This is an oil company with a significant budget for entertainment.

Only one person took the time to contact him directly.

I got the booking. The phone call took less than ten minutes.

Many people have to ease into direct contact with a potential client in the same why guys walk slowly into cold water -- for obvious reasons.

I'm glad that so many people aren't comfortable with direct contact...because I'm fine with it. Contact and relationships close bookings.

Bookings are about people.

A generic email can't create a relationship...it can simply provide information...and likely answer questions that haven't been asked. A generic email says it's all about ME and leaves no mechanism for ME to learn about YOU and YOUR event -- which is what YOU want ME to take an active interest in before you even consider ME for YOUR show.

This isn't a 'gee...look at me' post. But, since this is a place for mentalists to truly share with each other, I wanted to let you all know about the power of a phone call and the way it can start a relationship. You can sit at home and fire off dozens of emails and shiny packages -- but none of that has the sheer power of direct person to person contact.

Very few people (including me) are comfortable initiating direct contact in our internet cocooned society. Sending emails? SO much safer and more comfortable. Not TOO aggressive. (God forbid we actually go after a show...)

But if you want to make a living -- or a portion of one -- performing? You simply must grab yourself by the you-know-whats and take the plunge.

Let the other performers remain uncomfortable (terrified?) of direct contact and step over that line yourself. That's where the good stuff is.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
For nearly 30 years we have had a sign up in our offices that says "Want To Get Bookings Today? Pick Up The *** Phone!" I couldn't agree more. Performers can talk to me all day about online inquiry forms and other social and online resources, but to this very day, nothing is more productive, a better relationship building tool, more cost effective, and more results driven than picking you the phone.

When we'd have days or weeks that our agents weren't hitting the number of bookings and revenue as they should, out answer was always simple - pick up the phone.

Thanks for the reminder David.
RexDeash
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RexDeash
Hi David,
Thanks a lot for sharing.
I really appreciate that you share a lot of experiences which are immensely helpful for all, be it the novice or the pro.

You are one of the few people here who actually post to contribute and help others.

Just wanted to express my gratitude and hope you continue to do the same in the future.

Rex
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks David, wise words.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
On the other hand, I wouldn't do business with a client that insisted that I send my info via fax. ;-)

Seriously though, while initial contact via phone is great; agreements only become binding once papers are signed.

I once had a booking agent get mad with me because they thought I would hold a commitment for a New Year's Party event without a deposit or contract. "But we had a verbal agreement!" No, we did not. I told you back in September to send me the paperwork. By the time December rolled around, I had already booked the event with another client.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
NRmind
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of NRmind
I am highly interested in this topic. I think it's noteworthy that many pros feel the opposite - they want everything in writing and feel the phone takes up valuable time. Josh jay just had an Instagram post about this.
Often I judge my next course of action based on the initial query. I feel like a lot of the emails I receive are one liners, and they are looking for information quickly. So I respond via email, a kind of numbers strategy I suppose. Just send as many responses/ emails as possible and hope a few hit.
Admittedly I've been thinking about calling back regardless, I think there is value in that personal connection.
Hmm. Lots to mull over.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Responding back to them and using the phone to build a relationship and make your presentation is two different things. Booking and sales is a process. The more you can connect and position yourself during this process the much greater benefits you can receive (more than just "getting the gig.)

This is nowhere near as possible just using email, social media, etc. As performers we need to understand and utilize the process to our advantage. Most people do not know how to shop for or book entertainment. This creates a great opportunity, leverage and advantage for the skilled professional entertainer. To sidestep this just in the name of ease, convenience, simplicity and what they "think" they want leaves much on the table, lower conversion rates and often leads to price shoppers and incomplete information.

Also not using the phone will almost always insure your entertainment business model will be based on always seeking and chasing after your next booking(s).

Nothing offers the many and full advantages of the phone - even in-person is less opportunistic. Bookings are sales and sale sis a process, art and science that should be invited, embraced and mastererd by pefrormers, not feared or dreaded or sidestepped.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
People buy from people. In thi over-communicated, messaged and stimulated culture, a personal connection is essential.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Power of the Phone... (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL