The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Surprise Dove Box by Tora Magic - Anybody use it? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Anybody here actually perform one of these?

I love to hear your comments.

Chris
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Chris,
Where did you find this? Looks interesting.
Max
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Max:

It's been out for a while, made by a company called Tora Magic. I think that they originally called it the Origami Dove, at least I seem to remember it being called that. Anyway, it's sold by Hank Lee in the U.S. http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7752
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Daytona magic also carries it even though Hank's web site says he is the exclusive seller on this.

I've never seen it first hand but I've heard mixed comments. Some say it's a great effect. It definitely looks nice but I've also heard that it doesn't stand up to constant usage.
Where the magic begins
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I bought mine used and have used it in a couple of shows. It's really lightweight, but works good, and looks good. I don't have a strong enough routine, though. It seems to drag as the rods are pushed in and removed (there are five rods).

Another Café member, modified his (added another piece to the top of the box). Since I'm not real handy, I used it as is; I just have to be careful when placing the dove into the box. I have to close the box quickly into the cube so the dove doesn't come out the top. Once the dove is in the cube, you can push the rods in. Then remove the rods, pull the cub open into the rectangular shape, and the dove magically flutters out and perches on the edge of the box.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It needs to be turned into a completely hand-held prop to be convincing. If you could pick it up from the table and perform it all in your hands, put the dove inside, squeezing it into the cube, stabbing with spikes and then restoring the box and dove, it would have a much stronger impact and the speed could be picked up to make it more interesting.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Spellbinder,
Apparently you are familiar with this prop. Can it easily be held in a hand? It seems that it would be more convincing.
Max
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
No, and that's the problem I see with it, presentation-wise. It would have to be completely redesigned to go from the present concept- which is basically good- to a hand-held version. It's one thing to roll out a box on a table for a human to lay down in for this kind of grand illusion, but when you have to have a special table just for a tiny dove box, one gets suspicious. It's the vanishing elephant conundrum in reverse.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
You need the thin base of the table for the box to lay on, so the box can slide from rectangular to a cube. If you wish, the legs of the table may be cut off, but would be challenging performing in the hands as the apparatus is too large to perform in the hands. However, you can place this on top of a rollon table or other surface.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

I just got my prop from the good folks at Hank Lee's Magic Factory. Came really well packed.

The packing box was really light weight, and I originally thought that I had been gyp'd out of the table stand that is pictured with it. But it was all there.

The box and the table top are all one piece, made from some type of acrylic. Looks nice. The stand reminds me of a collapsible dancing cane - it will all break down. The stand is kind of flimsy, but will work. I am toying with removing it altogether and setting it on top of a roll-on side table. Your assistant could carry just the table top out, and hold it for you, if you wanted. However, I am certain that the routine would be stronger performed on a table top.

Visually, it looks very good. My wife was concerned that there was no apparent way for the dove to be unharmed by the skewers that go through the box, but upon inspection she understood. I found that to be encouraging, as the whole point is for the audience to believe the same thing.

My current dove routine has 4 birds produced, and I intend to work this routine in after the 3rd bird is produced.

And, as an aside, my confusion about the trick's name was cleared up. It did start out being advertised as the "Origami Dove Illusion", but was later changed to the "Surprising Dove Box". The instruction sheet refers to it as the Origami Dove Illusion. I think that most of you reading this can guess why the name change happened! Smile
wizardmagic
View Profile
New user
Arizona
32 Posts

Profile of wizardmagic
Here is my presentation test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRR2fOFMm4
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Very nice wizardmagic, I like the senior magic that showed second as well.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I just acquired one of my own and am very pleased with the ease of use and its convincing nature.

Quote:
On Jan 2, 2007, Christopher Starr wrote:
My wife was concerned that there was no apparent way for the dove to be unharmed by the skewers that go through the box,

My wife had the same reaction...only with a whole lot of expletives. Then went in search of treats for Harry the Dove because she felt so badly for him (she never saw the mechanism). In all, its effective enough to go into my act.

That said, I'm going to have to be very careful in transport. I'm not as worried about the stand...it didn't seem all that flimsy to me...but the box itself seems like a delicate thing. Extra care with this one.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
wizardmagic
View Profile
New user
Arizona
32 Posts

Profile of wizardmagic
Here is a newer video of me performing it at a library show. I did a modification on the prop by gluing tubes connecting matching holes for the spikes so there is no fiddling finding them on the other side. I live the prop. the "accidental" spike thru hand is my personal addition/gag for the routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLDb9o2B8s
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Nice!

Quote:
On Aug 3, 2017, wizardmagic wrote:
I did a modification on the prop by gluing tubes connecting matching holes for the spikes so there is no fiddling finding them on the other side.

I'm going to have to experiment with that idea myself! I had a bit of a problem in the last show with the holes not quite lining up and getting the spike through.

-Roald Dahl
wizardmagic
View Profile
New user
Arizona
32 Posts

Profile of wizardmagic
I used cheap barrel style ink pens as plastic tubes and use hot glue to hold them in place.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, wizardmagic wrote:
I used cheap barrel style ink pens as plastic tubes and use hot glue to hold them in place.

Thanks for the tip!

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Surprise Dove Box by Tora Magic - Anybody use it? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL