The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable Sound System (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TheHillusionist
Good day all,

Although not a full time magician, I do 5-7 gigs/month and the demand seems to be getting higher. I now need to upgrade .. like everything. I'm looking for a portable sound system and have "no clue" where to start. I'm not looking for the fresh, new cream of the crop, so expensive that I can't feed my family units .. but something that's user friendly, that I can control my music transitions, segues, etc with the click of a button. I don't really care if I use a mic or a headset although I suppose a headset would be best. I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Perhaps something like this? https://www.staples.com/Pyle-P-WMA230BT-......_2120939

Thanks
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
One word MIPRO. I have two of their wireless, portable sound systems,. I have a 50 watt system for small shows (about a million times better than a Happie Amp) and a 190 watt system for everything else.

Check them out here:
http://www.mipro.com.tw/mobile/index_en.html
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The Mipro units look nice. The first question you need to answer is will you have available power or not? This changes things a lot in price as a self contained battery powered unit will typically be a lot more than a similar unit that is A/C powered. Secondly you would look for something that will cover the space you need. That varies a lot. You could use a much smaller system if you're working library shows with low ambient noise levels for 60 people or outdoors for 400. Those questions will help define your needs.

It will also be very beneficial to get a system you can elevate on a stand as this will greatly increase your throw and provide a more balanced sound for the front rows.

Many units now have integrated bluetooth so in theory, you could keep your phone for playback near (or inside) your table and transmit the music directly to the speaker(s)
Ray Pierce
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

In terms of wireless or a/c Im fine with the latter. Having a power source is important for me.

I visted a few shops and they all seemed to suggest this one:
www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/fender......|ClickCP

Does anybody have any experience with this?
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Fender Passport Conference just has a tone and volume button.

Its missing the Low (Bass), mid and high adjustment. Also missing Gain.

That is comical and sad. Plus it has 2 Stars out of 5 or an equivalent to a F Grade.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

I can't find pricing for mipro stuff anywhere. Any idea where to shop for that stuff?
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2017, TheHillusionist wrote:
I can't find pricing for mipro stuff anywhere. Any idea where to shop for that stuff?

I bought mine in Montreal but here is a web site: https://www.bhphotovideo.com
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
If you don't mind your system working off a/c you may also want to consider the Peavey systems. They are more complete than the Fender.

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/705/118351
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Thank you Mike, I'll check those sites out.

If anyone else has good advice regarding a nice, portable sound system that's not badly priced, please don't be shy.

Thanks again

What do peeps think about this one?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1......oth.html
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I did quite a bit of research and stumbled upon a thread in which a member (The Ambitious Card) talked highly of this system from Carvin. I purchased and have not been happier with a performance-related purchase. Has everything I wanted: Bluetooth, battery power option, works great with my ipad and remote. Do a search under his name to find the thread... in any case, before you buy check out this link:
https://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600
a warning: do not buy the headset... it's junk. The wireless mic and transmitter, however, are great.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Pyle is a quality product. Shop around you can find the same unit on amazon for less money.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRM150

I use this Mackie SRM 150 at every birthday party I do. It's small and portable and the sound is incredible for it's size.

Robert.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What size audience do you usually perform to?
What type of venue? outside? inside?

i have carvin stagemate that I love for all size audiences that require a PA.

there's a new model that is more expensive now but works with bluetooth for music.

If I was in need, I'd get this:
https://carvinaudio.com/products/s600b
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2017, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
What size audience do you usually perform to?
What type of venue? outside? inside?

i have carvin stagemate that I love for all size audiences that require a PA.

there's a new model that is more expensive now but works with bluetooth for music.

If I was in need, I'd get this:
https://carvinaudio.com/products/s600b

Second that (see my above post) but after having used it in only a few shows, I have one complaint... the battery is no longer holding a charge for the stated length of time under minimal conditions after only a few months of ownership. In other words, it starts to die during a 45 minute show on a fresh charge, and that causes sound distortion and drop outs. Direct to wall outlet...fine. A replacement from Carvin is about 40 bucks, I found an aftermarket online for 14, which I will order soon. Just FYI.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Carvin is closing up shop.
Adam Meier
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Adam Meier
You can’t go wrong with Sure mic’s.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In some of the magician groups on Facebook, the current PA system that's getting lots of buzz is the Bose S1 Pro. Lots of family performers using them for their shows.

It works on a rechargeable lithium ion battery. it has Bluetooth.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/speak......tem.html

- Donald

P.S. Someone mentioned the Mackie SRM150 above. That's what I currently use for most of my shows, along with a Samson Airline Micro and an iPod Nano. I like this set up, but the next change I'll make is to invest in a remote to control my music (and I might go with a different player than my Nano, because the screen is pretty small).
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Anchor Explorer Pro.
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
I have just begun using the "Amazing Amp-BT" for PA and the "Ultimate Control-BT" for music. You can use any PA system you like. I find the AABT to be fine for what I do at a very affordable price. As for the music portion, I have not found anything to rival the UC-BT. I REALLY like and recommend it if you use music or sound effects (or would like to) in your show as a solo performer without the need of a sound person to assist.

both are available at www.empowersound.com and they are a sponsor here on the café.

I have just posted a review of the two systems in this board for the 2018 version.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
I second the Anchor Explorer Pro it has never failed me and a very durable unit.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable Sound System (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL