The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First Day Out (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On May 15, 2017, Yellowcustard wrote:
I don't think the amount of money is good way to asses a buskers effort. The fact you went out there again and felt it went better then last. The fact you are aware of whats going on to self appraise your self and find what you need to work on next time are good ways to asses a buskers efforts.

Keeping a eye on all your stuff and surroundings. Your trying to pull in all those skills on how to stop, build and pay, along with remembering your patter and effects. so seeing what your doing right/ wrong at that moment is hard.

Something that helped me early on was to build a small crowd with silk vanish pull them close with sponge balls. Then a card trick. The thing was once the card was chosen and put back into the deck and I mentioned it would jump to the top. The experiment was on. I would wait and see how long they would wait. This did not make me millions but I learnt a lot about people will wait and it is ok to slow down.

Busking is tiring. Wear good shoes. Carry only what you need. Get a big water bottle and find the best coffee house near your pitch.

Each time I busk I write out a plan before I busk. Then at the end I write what happened and what I plan for next time.

Keep going and keep us up to date here this is a great little topic.

These are great tips!

Thanks Yellowcustard!

Gary
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On May 14, 2017, MagicDaveNYC wrote:
Well second time out today... better than the first time... but still a long way to go... While I'm on the pitch I can't really see what I'm doing wrong... I'm too caught in the moment. When I think through it later things become clearer. One thing I'm not doing is connecting enough with the specs. I'm not asking names and making it personal. As a result I'm having trouble building a large crowd. I just start rushing through the tricks. Then it's over and I hat. I need to slow down and connect more.

If anyone is curious I made $45 in 2 hours. But it could have been a lot more (obviously).

I get totally exhausted after a short time. I didn't realize how tiring street performing can be. The pros make it look so easy. Also I'm no youngster I will turn 51 this year. I came late to the game.

Thanks again for all your support and being a such a great community!

Dave

dave when you start LOOK AT THE PEOPLE. make contact even when they are not interested. others will. Always LOOK AT THE PEOPLE.
interact with them.just a casual conversation with friends.

i know this is hard BUT SLOWDOWN TO THE POINT WHERE YOU LOOSE PEOPLE. go over the edge. then you know where that point is. and do not worry. you can start a new show.
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Wow... I'm starting to grasp this on a deeper level. Thank you Robert. I wasn't thinking like that. I understand what you mean... not really until I do it of course. But you have planted the seed.

Next weekend I will change my approach. I'm excited to see how things come out...

You can see Kozmo do this in action on his DVDs. But seeing and really understanding are different.

Thanks to everyone. I'm really grateful and I feel like I am being kind of 'mentored' here.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
One thing I think you new guys are missing is the creativity...the one of a kind..going where no one has gone before.

Soon as your show becomes cookie-cutter...it's sorta lost what makes a Street Show different...and that's, that it is different. Things done that you'd never see elsewhere.

So you buy/read/watch your dvd's, books, how to become a busker. And you follow the formula, and hopefully experience some success. But there's something missing.

The thing about the street is there are no set rules, it's about expressing yourself, doing something that can be wild and crazy, an idea or a passion.

3 tricks, 20 minutes, no no no...that's fine but don't be afraid to go your own way. You'll fail lots...and lots. But if you can't take a bit of failure, best take up welding or something.

Ask yourself why you are going out onto the sreets. Are you out there persuing art, expressing yourself or make money easily and quickly. Trust me, weldings easier.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
There is something about creating a unique bubble in time and space on the street where you and the people in the crowd are working together that is intoxicating, and I think results in bigger hats - at least in a happy busker. It only happens for me when I am being myself and not trying to sound /look like one of the Masters.
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
I get what you are saying... but doesn't even a welder have to first learn the skills of the trade before he can start creating art with it.

Can you just pickup a guitar and start making beautiful music if you don't know the basics of how to play?

I'm trying to learn the basics of how to get and hold a crowd... I don't want to stand on the street with no clue what I am doing and experimenting... that's sounds pretty tough.

You probably have been doing this for years and you already have the skills needed to be creative and artistic and unique. I don't have them yet. That's what I'm working on. Luckily there are many kind souls here willing to share with me. And I thank all of you... from my heart.

Dave
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, MagicDaveNYC wrote:
I get what you are saying... but doesn't even a welder have to first learn the skills of the trade before he can start creating art with it.

Can you just pickup a guitar and start making beautiful music if you don't know the basics of how to play?

I'm trying to learn the basics of how to get and hold a crowd... I don't want to stand on the street with no clue what I am doing and experimenting... that's sounds pretty tough.

You probably have been doing this for years and you already have the skills needed to be creative and artistic and unique. I don't have them yet. That's what I'm working on. Luckily there are many kind souls here willing to share with me. And I thank all of you... from my heart.

Dave

Keep going out and performing. Don't worry with those issues now.
My sugestion is think about that when you can make them stop, stay and pay. When you can entertain and hold them.
I will give you my example, each time I go out and perform, the show is more mine. Because as we start to feel confortable will entertaining the crowd, make them stay and pay and feel relaxed, we can focus our attention in other things, like being original for example.

The problem with most performers is that they do Gazzo act (for example) all their life. Don't do that.

:)

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, Stperformer wrote:
One thing I think you new guys are missing is the creativity...the one of a kind..going where no one has gone before.

Soon as your show becomes cookie-cutter...it's sorta lost what makes a Street Show different...and that's, that it is different. Things done that you'd never see elsewhere.

So you buy/read/watch your dvd's, books, how to become a busker. And you follow the formula, and hopefully experience some success. But there's something missing.

The thing about the street is there are no set rules, it's about expressing yourself, doing something that can be wild and crazy, an idea or a passion.

3 tricks, 20 minutes, no no no...that's fine but don't be afraid to go your own way. You'll fail lots...and lots. But if you can't take a bit of failure, best take up welding or something.

Ask yourself why you are going out onto the sreets. Are you out there persuing art, expressing yourself or make money easily and quickly. Trust me, weldings easier.

Yes, this is true... this art is definitely about self expression. It's a lot like people who want to play the guitar and be in a band so they can be famous and get women; wrong motivation! The one's who excel are the ones who do it for the love of music and self expression.

Fortunately for me I've been performing a long time and what I'm trying to adapt to the street are routines that have served me for 35 years or so. I'm hoping that will cut down a bit on my street learning curve by allowing me to work on the skills specific to street performing... here's hoping!

Gary
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, helder wrote:

The problem with most performers is that they do Gazzo act (for example) all their life. Don't do that.

:)

Helder

Yep, a lot of people try and imitate Gazzo... look at the magic buskers on YouTube. Many are doing it verbatim. I don't want to do that! I love Gazzo and he's definitely an inspiration, but that's where I want to leave him. Better to learn the whys from him and do something that's you!

Gary
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
You go man! I'm getting back into street theatre after a long journey into formal theatre work. You post inspires me to get back out there and make with the fun. Smile
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Fourth day out yesterday. Shared a pitch with Mick Stone. Guy is genius at getting people to stop and watch. He uses a banana and a rope and within 30 seconds he has people's interest. It was so much fun to watch him. I learned a lot!
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On May 29, 2017, MagicDaveNYC wrote:
Fourth day out yesterday. Shared a pitch with Mick Stone. Guy is genius at getting people to stop and watch. He uses a banana and a rope and within 30 seconds he has people's interest. It was so much fun to watch him. I learned a lot!

Mick is GREAT! I met him in NOLA a little over a year ago and watching him was an education in magical entertainment and inspired me to start working on a street show. Nice guy too! He took time to chat for a moment, give me advice and has kept in touch. I've learned a lot.

Gary
MagicDaveNYC
View Profile
New user
NYC
35 Posts

Profile of MagicDaveNYC
Hi Gary. I think Mick would be really pleased to know he inspired you so much!

When he walked up on me on the pitch I was using his lines... not very well though... "blush"

But he wasn't mad at all. He seemed flattered that he had inspired me.

I've been really struggling to learn to attract those first few specs so I've been trying different things... including Mick's opening lines...

Yes he is really nice guy!
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, MagicDaveNYC wrote:
Hi Gary. I think Mick would be really pleased to know he inspired you so much!

When he walked up on me on the pitch I was using his lines... not very well though... "blush"

But he wasn't mad at all. He seemed flattered that he had inspired me.

I've been really struggling to learn to attract those first few specs so I've been trying different things... including Mick's opening lines...

Yes he is really nice guy!

Hey MagicDaveNYC everytime I take a step, I sent Mick a message or a photo. He's great and encouraging! Envy you getting to spend more time with him! LOL!

Gary
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Gary
So glad you're out there! I think you might love it! I do. We're all individuals even in performing
I'm not a good talker, more introverted so have to push myself. use an amp'/ music, something visual
to get them to stop. Always have 2 or 3 close ups for smaller groups. Never use hat lines (introverted!)
a sign "Thank You" in about 8 different languages. My sets are about 12 - 15 minutes long. We try to keep it
light. Don't think about the "hat" ever, just try to have fun!! the hat looks after us! If it's heavy we're
happy. the heavier the happier!
My biggest asset is my "firecracker" partner. I'm lucky!
We started at Farmers Markets but quickly discovered we were just "baby sitters" there.
As for performing, there are good days and bad day, I try to not punish myself on the bad ones,
love the good one!
You're only 51, young!

Nala
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On May 15, 2017, Yellowcustard wrote:
I don't think the amount of money is good way to asses a buskers effort. The fact you went out there again and felt it went better then last. The fact you are aware of whats going on to self appraise your self and find what you need to work on next time are good ways to asses a buskers efforts.

Keeping a eye on all your stuff and surroundings. Your trying to pull in all those skills on how to stop, build and pay, along with remembering your patter and effects. so seeing what your doing right/ wrong at that moment is hard.

Something that helped me early on was to build a small crowd with silk vanish pull them close with sponge balls. Then a card trick. The thing was once the card was chosen and put back into the deck and I mentioned it would jump to the top. The experiment was on. I would wait and see how long they would wait. This did not make me millions but I learnt a lot about people will wait and it is ok to slow down.

Busking is tiring. Wear good shoes. Carry only what you need. Get a big water bottle and find the best coffee house near your pitch.

Each time I busk I write out a plan before I busk. Then at the end I write what happened and what I plan for next time.

OK, I buy what you're saying. You obviously know what you're talking about. But I have to ask; what do you actually write down as a "plan?" I hear of people writing a "profit and loss" plan for building a business or writing down what they need to rehearse on (other than just the tricks) and frankly, I'm at a loss. That may be why, at 62, I'm a perpetual n00b, but I'd really like to know what it is you write down.

Quote:
Keep going and keep us up to date here this is a great little topic.

Agreed.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Ed Rhodes- As for what I write down before I go out is a set of goals to achieve while out on the street. This list is written as I travel to pitch by public transport or in a coffee shop before I hit the pitch. It away of getting a little focus on whats happening and what I want to achive. When I started busking I use to write smile more. And as I did my shows that would echo in my head and I would smile more. Then at the end I write down thing that worked things that dint. Fun interactions I had with spectators. what the weather was like the amount of people around.

Here are a few examples from my note books,
Aims on the 29/9/17,
- Blow of cobs webs, (it had been a while since last out)
- Try re working of egg bag (This as been phased in and out over the years)
- Conected with crowd between phase of sponge balls also get kid up and don't be afraid to use to him to stop crowd,
- Busk hard for 2hrs,

(Notes afterwards)
Weather was ok a little over cast. Had a slow start but picked up. Had a few big crowds form. 1130 to 1230ish hit 2 shows back to back and did a short shows ont he tails of second.
Blew the cob webs away. Robert and jess where great fun. they mentioned they loved seeing magic live and close up a found my humour a little disturbing in a good way. Wayne was about seemed more with it then last time. He is sharing a place at the moment. I tried the egg bag once but then left it out. Stuck with what I know and what works to just get out there.

Aims 4/10/17

-To work back to back,
- Gel in talking about busking London tradtion (This is a idea I am working in to help with hat line and strengthening charter)
- Spend more time building in sponge balls and hold of from rope till I have a OK crowd,
- don't think no ones interested keep working to attract and build,

(notes afterwards)
Quite on the street no kids around. Weather was not as good as forcast. cold wind and few drops of rain. There was a clear spell and the people started to appear this made for a few small shows nothing great. 1300hrs the lunch vibe hit the street so things slowed. I had a break and started again afternoon manages to squeeze a few small few shows but last few people would not stop or stay. Could of been me as I did need to get my head in check but everyone was a bit of. Suzy in the coffee shop blamed the weather.

Shop closed down by civic the side doorway could to busk as it covered.

Hope this examples help I find the note book helps me to focus and keep on track. Also when I read back over it things come back to me.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The examples in fact DID help, thanks. I find concrete examples help better than; “write down your goals.” It’s just me, I don’t do abstract so well.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
The examples in fact DID help, thanks. I find concrete examples help better than; “write down your goals.” It’s just me, I don’t do abstract so well.

Ed thank you for showing a interest and commenting on it and getting it. Sometimes I wonder if any of what I do makes sense. That's the thing I like about busking is you come up with something at home try it on the streets and you see people stop and connect with it.

There is not much more to say but if you want more info just yell.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
What you do makes sense to YOU. That’s all that’s important. If you are not able to clearly explain what works for you, that’s not a crime. Not everyone can make why they do what they do or why it’s important clear to other people.

Having said that, I got your point from your last post. So there’s that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First Day Out (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL