The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Lock picking (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
hollywoo
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
18 Posts

Profile of hollywoo
Lock picking is not only a hobby, but a sport. Competitive lock picking is actually fairly popular, though obviously not overwhelmingly so. There's a subscription box that sends you stuff for a new hobby every couple months, and one month it was lock picks. You can even get clear locks to practice as a beginner.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2017, hollywoo wrote:
Lock picking is not only a hobby, but a sport. Competitive lock picking is actually fairly popular, though obviously not overwhelmingly so. There's a subscription box that sends you stuff for a new hobby every couple months, and one month it was lock picks. You can even get clear locks to practice as a beginner.

I think most of us on here have taken part in a lock pick speed round at some point. Also pretty sure most know of the clear locks - but something that is even better than clear locks (in my opinion) is cut away handcuffs and locks - Ian McColl made cut away handcuffs for his HCMTK which is pretty neat if you ask me. Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I know this place to be good https://lock-lab.com/
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I used to work as a janitor/security guard in a furniture factory. I was the only one there all night. I had to clean up, which if I worked fast, would take four hours. I had the rest of the night to kill. I got a book on lock picking and taught myself. I did it just to learn it. What you say about luck is true. Some nights I could pick my way into the vending machine to get a free soda, many nights I couldn't do it. I had a lock picking set. It was a fun way to pass the time.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2017, Signet wrote:
Some nights I could pick my way into the vending machine to get a free soda, many nights I couldn't do it. I had a lock picking set. It was a fun way to pass the time.

And steal "a free soda" right? I don't think anyone on this board would advocate doing that even if it was to practice the skill. Today with all the video surveillance you would have been caught and fired. Lock picking has many useful purposes not related to crime. I have many keys for many things and sometimes forget which goes to what. So picking is the only way beside trying a bunch of keys to open the locks quickly. For magic the skill should be obvious although gimmick locks would be a better choice in escapes. As you said picking can be tricky.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2017, Signet wrote:
Some nights I could pick my way into the vending machine to get a free soda, many nights I couldn't do it. I had a lock picking set. It was a fun way to pass the time.

right? I don't think anyone on this board would advocate doing that even if it was to practice the skill.

No I would not... I mean a soda how dishonest......

...... now if you worked in a bank a couple of bricks of $100s would be fine! Just send me one too. Don't lick the stamp as they will get your DNA. Be warned .... always practise safe picking and posting! Don't get caught!!!!

And whilst we are on picking locks in a bank..... my old (and missed massively!) friend Mick Hanzlick once did several bank jobs and never once got caught. Of course, he was breaking in FOR the banks, they bought his services in several times and were always grateful for his excellent services and kindly manner.

Miss you Mick!
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
I took a locksmith course several years ago ... and learning to pick locks was the highlight for me.

You'd be surprised how many opportunities come up where having that skillset comes in mighty handy.

And, if I'll admit it, it's kinda cool to have a set of lock picks!

Oscar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Lock picking (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL