The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge ball routines (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Dave said: For what it's worth, my two cents is that whatever routine you end up with, have it end with ball/ balls flying to the spectator's hand. That is all anyone remembers because it is the strongest thin you can do with SB.
Yes Dave, either that or a bunch of balls. The problem with a bunch of balls is that is more suitable for show but it still makes a mess. For walkaround, I agree with you.

Someone mentioned sponge balls as not being elegant enough. I avoided the balls for a long time due to not being natural etc. But when you do the feint and then "send" a ball to their hand, you realize there aren't many miracles to the spectator that register this strongly. For real.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Lawrence,

Your bibliography is beautiful but overwhelming. Can you recommend three or four of the items on your lists that you judge to be the best for beginners to sponge balls?

Many thanks,

Bob
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Good point. I believe Lawrence is no longer actively involved in writing posts for the MC. You might see why> It could be a full time job. So let's ask other members to recommend 3-4 things from his list. OR FROM ANYWHERE. what WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR BEGINNERS TO SPONGE BALLS?

I would suggest anything from Daryl especially his Master Course in Sponge Balls . Salinas is said to be good. You can't go wrong with the World's Greatest Magic on Sponge Balls. I have been doing sponge balls for a while, yet still appreciated Patrick Page's DVD on Sponge Balls. ANY OTHER IDEAS?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Learn a simple routine. Go perform it at least 10 times. Then you will be ready to dig into other material.

I liked Oddballs, but it isn’t a beginner dvd.

I vote for starting with Patrick Page. He has enough tips and hints to give you a direction to go after you get the basic routine down.

But try to avoid the paralysis of analysis that comes from continually seeking the best video or book or whatever. That keeps you from doing magic.

Patrick
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, countrymaven and Patrick. I have the Wilson book and Daryl's DVD's, so that should be plenty to get me started. You're right about paralysis, Patrick. Right now I'm working intensively on a card routine anyway, so I'll stick to that for now.

Bob
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Patrick, You are right about the paralysis of analysis. We are spoiled and have too many excellent resources available. The key is getting a good routine down, and performing it. Then you are ready to evaluate other sleights and routines. thanks and happy new year!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
We should also add Mick Ayres' sponge ball routine. Very practical and carries big surprises.

But to honor Lawrence's massive posts, follow his own summary of his advice:
Gary Ouellet's Close Up Illusions is a fantastic book (and hehad a fantastic Retention of Vision vanish technique for sponge balls that is rarely seen)... because it would take you more than a month to read all of these routines (let alone getting the books or the DVDs) so:

Read Scott Guinn
Study John Carney
work a bit on Bizzaro
Don't overlook Frank Balzerac (World Greatest Magic by the World’s Greatest Magicians)
and work on Roger Klause sponge up the spectator's sleeve and use a Sanada Gimmick after checking Troy Hooser's technique with the TT
Then design your own routine adding feints along Jerry Lukins advice (Fred Kaps taught me that any routine without at least two feints was just a beginner's ego trip)
Don't do the multiple balls finale for after a big success, having to go down to the floor to get some of them back destroys the great image of you that your climax produced (see Tom Stone's stage show with sponge balls): go for a large ball climax instead
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
For what it is worth, I just saw Steve Bargatze lecture as part of the January IBM JAM, he had one of the better sponge ball routines that I have seen. It is worth checking it out.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, countrymaven. I didn't noticed Lawrence's summary -- that's very useful to have.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks kc, for your new addition. Yes Bob, thanks to you as well. I think Lawrence graciously realized that most magicians could not possibly consult half of the resources he mentioned, and if they did so, it would merely add to their confusion. So I agree that we should take his summary recommendations seriously. Then move on from there.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Steve Dacri SpongeBall Toolbox is excellent!
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Sponge balls - one of the first things I started with many years back. Good, quite clearly, but I soon moved on, to Sponge Rabbits. Been doing them for around 20 years.. There's a lot more scope for story telling/audience involvement with the rabbits. "Which one's the Mom, and which one's the Dad?" - kids will ALWAYS pick one - even if they're identical... you lift one up, look at the underside, sniff it, or whatever... get them jumping from your hand to their hand, involve another kid, etc, eventually, the birthday/party kid winds up with the two adult (rabbits) AND a bunch of small ones, and her friend can have the big giant one.. they remember it forever. Some routines I've been doing for years and years - and there's a reason for that - they're WINNERS.
Sometimes magis get obsessed with the "new".

Sponge bananas and carrots also feature in my show from time to time.

But here's a question for you sponge ball expert guys... I've always wanted to do a "balls from mouth" routine... but I literally can't stand having a sponge ball in my mouth... anyone else had this problem? If so - how did you overcome it?
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks deadcat. Sometimes we forget, to children, how something that looks a little corny to adults, like rabbit sponges, can be truly magical and unforgettable to kids, with a good story and magic.

I agree with you about sponges from the mouth. I won't do a card from mouth either. Ok I got an idea.
Sponge balls from head. have like a half sponge appear on the top of your head. hehe. take it off, it keeps happening.
noahrobd
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of noahrobd
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2012, Lawrence O wrote:
But naturally if no list is ever exhaustive, it makes it hard to tell which one is the best routine... presentation plays such an important part!

Probably should have STARTED with this comment. THEN given the list! LOL
MagicSensei
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of MagicSensei
How about sponge ball(s) from the ear(s)?
Hershl
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Hershl
Hi,
I know I am coming in a bit late but I am trying to locate a copy of Xulio Merino's book esponjismagia xuliana.
None of the Spanish bookstores that stocked it have it any longer.
Anyone know of someone who might sell me a copy?
I love his work and want to read the book and learn from him.
This is a wonderful thread. Sorry I didn't find it earlier.
christhebard
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of christhebard
Like Hershl, I am also looking for a copy of esponjismagia xuliana by Xulio Merino.

Can anyone help a fellow maji out?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge ball routines (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL