The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Developing a "Point of View" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Hello

I just finished reading Eric Mead's article/interview on Paul Harris in Magic Magazine, June 2007. It is simply amazingly awesome incredible article.

Many times during the article it is mentioned the notion of "developing a point of view" or "expressing a point of view", in the sense of character's point of view.

I may sound ignorant but I was not familiar with this concept - I'm very interested in it. Does it come from the world of theater? Or where does it come? They talk about it like it's an obvious or assumed thing.

Why it is important?

Do you have any references to further develop this subject?

Thanks!

Maxi
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Your expression /take of the subject (or tricks in this case)

3 photographers taking a photo of the same subject will choose different angles , lenses, light and framing. The subject is the same but each photographer has their own point of view. Is to just the technical aspects but also the story being told. I believe Mr. Mead is suggesting not to perform a trick by emulating another magician but instead using your own "point of view" to voice the tricks you perform.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I agree with above. Person buys a "trick" that comes with presentation and patter, etc. I heartily suggest that you do the routine "at first" exactly as it's presented to you in the instructions. Figure out WHY the creator did what they did?? After that you can start looking for the "how to make it mine" changes that will morph the routine into something else.
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Developing a "Point of View" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL