The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th Century Silk Routine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
I there are multiple double or even triple 20th century silk effects in the Rice.
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
What I mean by this is more then one silk vanishing and reapering.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Since this thread has been "awakened", I'll talk about my 20th C. Silks.

Frank Ducrot (stage name of T. Francis Fritz) was a New York magician, and magic shop owner. Over the years, Frank had bought up 39 different shops that were going out of business! He said that, if he bought one more, he would call himself, "Ali Baba"!)

Frank was the magician who "invented" the 20th Century Silks (way back in the 20th Century!). It became a very popular trick. The props were flashy, packed small, and the set up was minimal.

I had experimented, as a mid-teen magician, with a 20C routine, sold by Percy Abbott, called "Yellow Joe" (or "The Gangster's Waterloo") I soon realized that the routine had too much talk, and, too little action, plus the finish wasn't that good. I cut it.

About 35 years later, I developed my own routine, that was funny, involved a little boy, could fill 3 minutes with laughs, and applause, AND, could be padded to fill 3 more minutes, without stalling. The finish was strong enough to get a big laugh, and, applause for the kid.

The basic 20C routine, needed less than a minute to set, and the pad, needed about 2 minutes to set! It has been next to closing in the elementary school program for about forty years.

I wrote it up in my book, "Dick Oslund -- Road Scholar". IT DOESN'T NEED A RED VELVET BAG ON A STICK, TO VANISH THE 18" SILK!!! (I use Burling Hull's ancient bare hand vanish of a silk, that he called "Elusive Silk". I eliminated the very awkward p**ming of an 18" silk. I use a "standard size" Vernet. It's so easy, even I can do it! (It's on page 263)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Gee Dick, and I just love my Red Velvet Bag on a Stick!!!! I Love your book by the way!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Dan! Thanks, for your very kind "book review"! (The "reviewer" in the "Linking Ring" hated it!!! --I quit the I BOTHER MAGICIANS, after 67 years, when I read his comments.) I've mailed it to Asia, Australia, Europe, and, North America!

I usta have one of those red velvet bags, (I did the necktie cutting, when I could buy neckties for less than a buck! --back in the '40s!)
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Dick, Reviews and evaluations are just one person's opinion. I just take them with a grain of salt. Those who can do, DO, and those who can't DO, teach (or give their opinions). I have been there with over 71 years of life! My opinion GREAT BOOK!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! I'll need to go downtown, and buy a bigger hat, tomorrow! Thanks Dan, you have given my ego, a real lift!
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You deserve a bigger hat!! You have done what others have wished to do in there life of magic!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Dan Ford:

You're right on the money! And I have been VERY priviledged to have Dick as my good friend and mentor for the past 30+ years! He has taught me more about ENTERTAINING than any magician I have ever known!
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You were a lucky guy Rainboguy!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was "surfing the net" this AM, and landed here to check out the latest comments!

Thanks, Rick and Dan for your your "ego building" comments!

Once I figured out how to do the 20th C so that it ENTERTAINED (it DID take me a few years!) I soon moved it to "next to closing" in the elementary school program. I found that, it also played very well in the Kindergarten thru High School program! (The basic routine runs 3 minutes, and the high school folks, really enjoyed the little boy's expression when the tied silks were displayed!)

It's great for a family night program, too! I can pad the basic routine from 3 minutes, to 6 minutes, when I need to fill an hour! It just takes 1 1/2 minutes to load my Demon Wonder Box, and I get a "false climax" that FILLS THE STAGE WITH SILK!

20C meets ALL of my CRITERIA! I always (silently) thank Frank Ducrot when I pick up the silks for 20C!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
People would be surprised how many different routines and colored sets I use. Combined with Silk to Egg, it is a pretty standard part of my shows because it works as well on stage as it does working surrounded.

Scheme!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bob Sanders 20th Century Silk Props are the best I have seen. Highly recommended!

Hope you're doing well, Bob!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thank you Rainboguy. Information about our silks and silk props is available from us at Amazedwiz@yahoo.com
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th Century Silk Routine (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL