The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Best Book or DVD for the Professor's Nightmare? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Fiber Optics is packed full of rope effects.
And has a very nice Professors nightmare routine.
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
There's a World's Greatest Professor's Nightmare - I really like Michael Finney's performance and explanation. His breakdown is great and was easy for me to learn from.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Fiber optics has pf as a part of the routine with the Slydini handling. Great stuff.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Old books published by Harry Stanley of England and later Supreme Magic is old held stock being released currently. The book "Give a Magician Enough Rope", Equal - Unequal Ropes is available again. It all about Professor Nightmare effects.

In England is is referred to as "Equal - Unequal Ropes", or was way back when.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Pop Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot is one of the best routines in magic, and he teaches it all in his video. It's a cut and restored rope routine with a Professors Nightmare in the middle. I highly recommend it.

Mac King teaches some fun Professors Rope moves, along with a separate cut and restored rope routine in his Penguin Lecture.

and while short, Michael Ammar has a really nice, simple, and clean Nightmare in his recent Penguin Live Act Lecture.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Ive just got the Joe Ridings version,dvd and booklet,
gerryc
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gerryc
For just the Professors Nightmare , the WGM DVD is a great value
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I would agree with the WGM DVD on the professors nightmare. Since you asked for this, I am suggesting this. I would also add, that the special count, counting the three equal ropes is an important convincer. However, you also must realize that sometimes people with a basic interest in magic have seen how this works. That is why you do want to connect it with something better, as in many suggestions above. What I do is to make all three ropes end up as one at the end. It can be freely shown as one, you don't have to hold onto a certain part in my routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Countrymaven, so are you saying that your ending of one long piece of rope is in the World's Greatest Magic DVD? If not, now that you told a new comer who does not know what you are talking about, you should inform him of the source.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
No, Bill, it is not there. But the WGM does have plenty of extended routines. And some of the things discussed above are similar. The ending I referred to is unpublished. But more important than that particular ending is perhaps, as stated above, having something so that those who may know the prof. nightmare may still be suprised by a good ending or routine.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
No doubt Pop has a killer routine. I don't own it tho. 🤦‍♂️

I do own Michael Finneys' dvd and it's pretty straight forward and I should check that out again........like everything else I need to do. 🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤣
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Hi Anand. If you have access to Genii magazines, there is "Hollingworth's Nightmare" in the September 1999 issue. It is an elegant way to get set for the trick. There is no presentation just the set-up method and, I think, a false count. Also, if it is still available, Jim Lewis's Million Dollar Mysteries video details his method which is quite baffling. I believe Ian Kendall described Lewis's method for the set-up in a MUM magazine. Here is a performance by Jim Lewis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPCpQ3IkD8&feature=youtu.be

Regards,
Barry Moran
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Can’t say enough good about the Mongolian pop knot. I have not done it a couple times and the reaction each and every time is amazing worth every penny for the rope (not to mention you can get rope pretty cheap on the big online retailer now) https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=111
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Fibre Optics for me. It’s become the highlight of my show.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I just looked up "Hollingworth's Nightmare" in the September 1999 issue of Genii, as referenced above, and it's actually much more than just the set-up. It's a five page article with 33 pictures explaining his whole routine. Now I've got to cut some rope and give it a try....

Murf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Best Book or DVD for the Professor's Nightmare? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL