The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope switcher (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
I agree, Pop!

I just drop gaffed bit of rope into my prop case, and a moment later, I pick up a rope about the same length. NO ONE has ever mentioned anything about it. I wrote that in the first few posts!

KisMif

I know what KISS means, but KisMif?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi John....

It's an acronym for "KEEP IT SIMPLE MAKE IT FUN".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
asimagu
View Profile
New user
Spain
11 Posts

Profile of asimagu
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Asimagu, sounds like you want to switch the Walking Knot rope. Boy, that is a challenge. You might look into hiring a female assistant to bring your props to you on stage. There may be a way to execute a switch with an assistant, through movement and misdirection of the on stage audience members.

In essence, what you are trying to accomplish is trying to switch a elephant with a horse, and not be noticed.

My advice would be switch to the non-gimmicked rope version. Tony Clark just came out with a version. And the Jim Steinmeyer version is still around.

Nope, it's not the walking knot trick but rope that I bought from Pavel (which I have found to have the best quality so far)

I just found a recently released utility device that may help as a rope switcher: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20295

I just ordered it Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Asimagu, I hope that works for you, and a very good price as well. I can see several ways to handle it already in my minds eye. Good Luck.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi John....

It's an acronym for "KEEP IT SIMPLE MAKE IT FUN".

Thanks
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Please consider Pop Haydn's advice. A device for switching seems great. Until people see mirror reflections etc.
The best switches are on an offbeat where you deliberately draw attention to something else. You can have a wand and a rope in your hand and get another 'BETTER' WAND ETC. Or anything similar to that. Behind a chair, table, etc. They just don't suspect it in the vast majority of cases, But when you put it in a fishy looking device they will. Another thing, be sure to look for a lot of good reviews on anything over 50 bucks. If not my experience is you most likely will have another "storage' magical device.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
This will be a meandering reply so I apologize beforehand.

Since I was a kid I've wanted to do Dunninger's "Walking Through A Rope Previously Passed Out For Examination" effect. For years Dunninger used it in his main act as a primary stage illusion, even when performing on his own. Many magicians came to see it but couldn't discover the secret. In many ways it is a perfect one man illusion.

The secret is listed on Page 15 of Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic. It incorporates a most ingenious rope switcher where a spectator is holding the end of the ungimmicked rope while it is being switched (and is switched). In essence, it only switches part of the rope!

I've always felt it would be extraordinary to update the method and do a walking knot effect with restoration ending followed by the magician walking through the rope. Then invite all spectators to examine the rope as they leave the theater.

This, of course, is big, bulky and not as practical as many other pack small, play big effects. Which is why I never pursued it to the end. But a magician can dream, no?!
asimagu
View Profile
New user
Spain
11 Posts

Profile of asimagu
Indeed! dreams are the key to every magician's success! Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2019, asimagu wrote:
Indeed! dreams are the key to every magician's success! Smile

well, musing anyway. Your original post asked about a "device" so I did not think much about "method."

I have an method that might work. Used to require a coat but might work with a vest - and a spectator on stage.

write me eversway.com to discuss privately if desired.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
There is a famous Vegas magician, who does a famous rope trick, who has a very simple method that doesn't use a device. He simply makes the switch when he reaches into his coat pocket to put scissors away. And it baffles everyone.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope switcher (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL