The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Johnny Carson Passed away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I'm not sure if this is the right location for this announcement. Johnny Carson passed away today (1925 - 2005). This is very sad news. I'm sure most of you know that he was also a magician.

Many magicians dreamed of someday being on the Johnny Carson Show. Myself included.

There will never be another like him and he'll be greatly missed.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
He will be greatly missed. There's some coverage over on Yahoo right now. A link to the current story is: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st......t_carson

I remember watching a lot of performers on the old Tonight Show, and Johnny was always a great fan of magic. Late night TV has never been quite the same since he retired....

Jeremy
MichaelCarolina
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
18 Posts

Profile of MichaelCarolina
Johnny was a truly amazing entertainer and a great patron of the megical arts... he gave a lot of great magicians a shot at national attention, among them Paul Gertner, Michael Ammar and many many others. It's true that late night hasn't been the same. He will be missed, and I think we will not see the likes of him again.

Michael Carolina
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Johhny's passing has saddened our whole family. he touched so many people all over the world. He's in a better place as they say, but all his friends here on earth will miss the "King Of The Night"!!!

Maybe our good friend Dean Dill can share a story with us and perhaps give us some comfort while we mourn.

Christopher
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
WIll be greatly missed.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Johnny Carson

Good-Bye Mr. Carson, you touch our lives and our hearts. Thank You for being you.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
We were just talking about him at the office a few weeks ago wondering where he has been hiding and I see on the news about his passing. He surely kept a private life. I heard also there will be no memorial service.
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
Johnny Carson intentionally kept his private life private. He wasn't a recluse or an eccentric or anything negative at all. He simply wanted to enjoy his retirement. But he was still active in entertainment: He headed his own company, which coordinated all of the video/DVD releases of his years on "The Tonight Show," as well some other shows on television; he appeared at numerous awards shows--in which he was the main award recipient; he appeared once on "Late Night With David Letterman," he played poker with his friends regularly; he drove his boat regularly; and he kept in constant contact with scores of people, nationwide. He also donated a lot of money to various projects, including several projects in his hometown in Nebraska, where he grew up. Johnny Carson was still active in retirement, but he kept his private life private. His family announced on Sunday, Jan. 23rd, the day of Johnny's death, that, according to Johnny's wishes, there will be no formal memorial service. But, hey, there's a memorial service going on right here, at The Magic Café--and Johnny would have loved that. Goodnight, Johnny.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
I remember seeing Johnny Carson's caricature at the Magic Castle which is how I found out he had been a magician. I sure would have loved to see him perform.

Rest in Peace Johnny.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
There will be a tribute to Mr. Carson on the "Tonight Show" with Jay Leno tonight. Be sure to watch. He was a legend and will be surely missed.

"I know you love me tonight, but will you respect me in the morning?"

Rest In Peace Johnny. We love you and will miss you.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Yes, we will all miss him....here is some trivia for you.... My business partner phoned tonite (Marilyn Abbott)Johnny bought his first trick from Percy Abbott at the age of 12.........................how neat....there will never be another...Rick Fisher, FAB magic
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Does anyone know how long and to what extent Johnny practiced magic?

** Bill **
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
From what I understand, he was a great amateur, and that he practiced up until his death. He loved magic and I once heard that he'd said if he could have done anything else beside the Tonight Show, it would have been magic

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Did any of you ever get to see him perform?

** Bill **
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Also, Johnny didn't take over the Tonight Show until he was about 40 years old. If he started practicing magic at age 12 then that leaves a whole lot of years for a magic career. Just curious.

** Bill **
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The dress code at the Magic Castle requires a jacket and tie for the male guests (and members). The single exception to this rule - not well publicized, by the way - is that men are allowed to wear a genuine (not "mock") turtleneck sweater instead of a dress shirt and tie. This adjustment to the rules was made to accommodate one well-known member who preferred to NOT wear a tie, since he always wore one for his day job. Guess who that member was?

That's the story the way I got it, anyway...

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Dean Dill was Mr. Carson's Barber (hairstylist) as well as magic teacher. Dean is also a private person but I'm hoping he'll post some of his thoughts.
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
Quote:
On 2005-01-24 21:52, Rick Fisher wrote:
Yes, we will all miss him....here is some trivia for you.... My business partner phoned tonite (Marilyn Abbott)Johnny bought his first trick from Percy Abbott at the age of 12.........................how neat....there will never be another...Rick Fisher, FAB magic
Johnny bought his first magic from Abbott's Magic Company at the age of 12? Now THAT IS an interesting piece of magical trivia!

Some interesting relevent information from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Carson):
"...he learned to perform magic tricks, debuting as "The Great Carsoni" at age 14."

Also:
"In 1973, Carson had a legendary run-in with popular psychic Uri Geller when he invited Geller to appear on his show. Carson, an experienced stage magician, wanted a neutral demonstration of Geller's alleged abilities, so, at the advice of his friend and fellow magician James Randi, he gave Geller several spoons out of his desk drawer and asked him to bend them. Geller proved unable, and his appearance on The Tonight Show has since been regarded as the beginning of Geller's fall from glory."
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Thanks for the tidbits on Johnny!

** Bill **
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I just found out that Dean Dill was on the tonight show before Johnny Carson retired from television. Anyone know how many different magician's Johnny had on his show over the years?

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Johnny Carson Passed away (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL