The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Strength tests - Impossible to do, although look simple (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gordo
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gordo
Just wondering if there are any books, articles, etc., on the strength test themes. I seem to remember one with a broom stick which looks easy but if done right, no one regardless of how strong could accomplish.

Thanks in advance, Gordo
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Check out Barrie Richardson's "Theater of the Mind" for a cool effect with a piece of string.
gordo
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gordo
Hi again,

Thanks for that tboehnlein, I know in 'Magic for Dummies' there's also a short piece.

gord
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Body Magic by John Fisher, published by Stein & Day is available in both hard cover and paperback. It contains more than 150 pages of physical effects including many of the "strength tests." Some of them could be built into feature items. All of them are things that a well rounded magician should know about. Check it out.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
This might be an odd recommendation – but I would try the old books at your local library. The books I have that have “strength style” effects – have the old 50’s clip art in them. Which I can only assume was more popular back then.

Being that every library is different – it would be hard to give suggestions – I am sure that most of what I own is out of print.

On the flip side – don’t knock the web. I good search on google.com could reveal some gems,

Good luck,
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
If you read French (Ok ! Ok ! Nobody read French...) there is a very good book :
"La Magie du Corps" (The Magic human Body, is an average translation) which contains a lot of effetcs like this. A lot of oldies but a lot of goodies !
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
appletruth
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of appletruth
Sid Mayer,
Is "Body Magic" readily available, I thought it was out of print. Does Stein & Day have a site? thanks Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Quote:
On 2002-09-17 09:30, CENDRE wrote:
If you read French (Ok ! Ok ! Nobody read French...)

Au contraire, je parle Francais...

My high school had a copy of body magic - it was one of the first magic books I read. Highly recommend it for something a bit different.

ML Smile
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Aaaah ! I recognize in this old frendship between Scotland and France Smile

Smile Smile Smile

I went 2 two times in Scotland in past years (for a total of 1 month), and I love your country. That's true, It's a real pleasure for a storyteller and bizarre magician to visit such a unbelievable country. Maybe it was because I was a bizarre tourist, but I felt the mystery deeply rooted in Scotland and was a big source of inspiration for me.

I will go back to Scotland, maybe this year, I hope to feel this again.

I apologize for this digression...

See you soon Missing_Link,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
...to the return the compliment, I've been to France several times in recent years. I was in Paris during the '98 World Cup and had a fantastic time. My mother also taught French. There is, of course, the Auld Alliance pub in Paris which celebrates the historical links between our two countries. Smile

Back to the topic, do any of the books recommended so far (excluding Body Magic) include tearing a phone directory in half?

ML
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Appletruth,

I don't know if Body Magic is out of print. I've had my copy for some time. The copyright dates are 1979 for the hard cover version and 1980 for the Scarborough Books soft cover.

To find web sites (or almost anything else on the web) try the advanced search function on http://www.google.com.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Quote:
On 2002-09-17 09:30, CENDRE wrote:
If you read French (Ok ! Ok ! Nobody read French...) there is a very good book :
"La Magie du Corps" (The Magic human Body, is an average translation) which contains a lot of effetcs like this. A lot of oldies but a lot of goodies !

"La magie du corps" is the translation of Fisher's "Body Magic", so you don't have to read french ... mais c'est toujours utile pour lire les ouvrages de bizarre magick de Christian Chelmann!
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Read all you can about Lulu Hearst also known as the Georgia Magnet. You will find some of her "tests" in The Jinx as well as in her autobiography.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
I saw Paul Daniels perform a few of the "tests" you mentioned in one of his TV specials. One of the tricks was hilarious. Paul had an umbrella placed on his palms and a well know English boxer was asked, to lift the thing.....and the big man wasn´t able to do that. The umbrella broke.....it looked very, very good.

TED LESLEY Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
I saw that trick with the umbrella and I found it amazing. Paul Daniels kept on dancing with one hand on the umbrella while the other guy was trying to push over the umbrella!

Great magic!
theologian
View Profile
New user
italy
21 Posts

Profile of theologian
Hi to all,
You can try to read:
Necromatic Aerobics in New Invocation April 1987. You will find a fantastic strength test.
Maskelyn Ye Mage's "Ring of Protection"

The Change by Bruce Barnet in New Invocation April 1989.
You can also use "Can't Tear Paper"for your stength test.
Pax Vobiscum
Theologian
Smile
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi
You may also check Ormond McGill's Real Mental Magic (Hades Publications, Inc.).
In the Chapter 7, dedicated to "Mind-over-Body Magic", many strength feats are explained...
Good luck.
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
Quote:
On 2002-10-16 09:21, theologian wrote:
Hi to all,
You can try to read:
Necromatic Aerobics in New Invocation April 1987. You will find a fantastic strength test.

Hah! I wrote that dang thing! 15 years later I have a WAY different perspective on the effect...As written it used a heavily gimmicked book that gushed out smoke which supposedly enabled the scrawny mage (me) to be infused with great strength. Talk about overkill. The emphasis ended up on the stupid book and not the powers I supposedly derived from it. Now I do the same thing, but simply hold my hand over a scrap of paper on which I've scribbled some mystic hoo-hah.

What we're talking about is this: the mage makes a circle with his thumb and index finger and when held over the sacred writings (or relic or bone or whatever) even the burliest of spectators can't pry it apart. When the item is removed, the supernatural strength is gone and the fingers are easily pulled apart.

How does it work? You ain't even gonna believe it. It really IS mind over matter. This is an application of an Eastern concept called 'chi', used in martial arts among other philosophies. The secret is to imagine, actually picturing it in your mind, that the circle made of your two fingers is actually an iron ring of the same size. Yes, it really works, but you have to really put yourself into it and BELIEVE that it is going to work. I promise you that if this is done it is way, way more effective than strength alone. You can practice it right now with a friend. Just form a circle with your thumb and index finger and challenge them to pull it apart. They probably will. Now do it again, only this time imagining and iron ring instead of your fingers, really seeing it in your mind's eye, and they won't be able to budge it. I know it sounds flaky as crap. But it works. Well.

The rest is all hoodoo and flap and floo. Tell the spectator that whatever totem you show contains diabolical powers of untapped strength and blah, blah, blah. You have to act, of course, and that's the tough part.
Smile
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Your iron ring seems to good to be true !

But I will try spook because if it works as you say, it as wonderful application !

Just a question Spook : Have you ever try to have a spectator make the ring ?

In fact, I wonder if we couldn't have a gem (if this effect works of course) if we can make a spectator do the ring with his own fingers and then :

* someone try to pull them appart : he success
* you "hypnotize" the spectator (or you use the presentation you want) to make him imagine an iron ring and then... We can't separate his fingers !

If it works, we have here a very good impromptu effect !!!!!

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
banshee
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of banshee
I do a strength test where i get a strong guy or even two to grab me and lift me off the ground,then i stare at them in their eyes and tell them they no longer have the strength to lift me.They try but it is impossible even to get my feet off the floor.This is very similar to what Derren Brown did in his mind control show.The principle behind this is one that i leart through practicing martial arts but is very simple to do.If anyone wants it e-mail me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Strength tests - Impossible to do, although look simple (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL