The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Question about the 3 card monte (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
WOW!

The DVD sounds great Whit. I will have to check it out.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Daryl also has a great DVD on the subject.
-Chris.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Whit, I had already found that, but you have to purchase the DVD to get the ebook. I was looking for an ebook alone.

Chris
BrianJ
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of BrianJ
I have a lot of text, and a lot of versions of the 3CM. Get Daryl's DVD. It is very good.

Brian
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I have great book on "Three Card Monte". It is by John Scarne. All the material mentioned above is great. I do have it all, but I do keep on coming back to this book (probably because it is short and easy to follow). I do stock and sell this book including two other books on the subject. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V......:MESE:IT

Mario

P.S. You can also buy the book of Whit alone. I do highly recommend this book as well. It is a great read and long-term study.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
Some people might scoff at me for this, but I think Harry Anderson's "Last Monte" is a great routine except for the fact you have to destroy a gaffed card every time. The bright side is that probably no one else will be doing it. It appears in the book "Wise Guy" by Caveny and which contains some other routines from his busking days - not a bad book at all.

Whit Haydn's material will give you a lot more technique, history, and insight into the Monte plus a LOT of help with the spiel.

Two-cent rant:

I think a card effect with the word "Monte" in it should look/play like a Monte. The cards ought to be creased and thrown - this makes the effect look bigger and is more quickly identifiable by passers-by (as well as cops!).

Patrick Page and Bob Sheets are awesome performers, and I've seen Bob Sheets do his routine, but it doesn't look a Monte. Those people who are able to picture what a Monte game looks like are NOT going to envision a guy holding the cards in one hand and turning their hand up or down like a hot rod. They'll picture a con working on a crate with three cards creased down the middle and tossing 'em while telling them to find the lady, honey, etc.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
Get the ultimate Three-Card Monte from Penguin. Hands down the best Three-Card Monte on the market. Bad bit is, it is gimmicked.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Monte for the streets I don`t think so. Regarding the Looper, I thought this was a Brooke origination which Pat Page added to with the contraceptive hinge flap.

For my own amusement, the Expert at the Card Table followed by D Ortiz Monte routine should give anyone enough grounding in order to form your own routine. The Rude Conclusion card trick is the more up to date slant on the Looper idea and sells well on demonstration (I get through around six gross a year).
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I think Mr. Brooke may have coined the term Dutch Looper, but that version of the three-card trick has been hawked at fairgrounds along with trick decks since the early 20th century.

It is a huge pitch item, although one never knows. I also know Mr. Brooke was a pitch man; he may have been old enough to have invented the thing. If so, that's a pretty interesting legacy to go along with the rest of his stuff.

No mater how you slice it, Mr. Brooke was a genius and in my opinion the Pat Page flap doesn't add a whole lot to the effect. Bob Sheet's addition to the flap is more effective in my opinion, as you can look right at the gimmick and not see it.

All on it's own it is still a great trick, and with Mr. Brook's addition to the original gimmick I have no problem apparently showing the faces of all three cards.

This is really a great trick.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Danny, you could be right. It will take me a while to go through my lists. Dutch Looper with the Queens out for tea patter was the first time it crossed my path back in 1960, through if memory serves the Bradford Studio (Brookes) as it was then.

Ken.
prude
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of prude
The Ken Brooke routine is not based on holding the cards in one hand a la Pat Page. You DO lay them on the table, and I HAVE sometimes presented it just like a street Monte (without the standard) bend getting the spectator to guess the card.

I have actually seen Ken Brooke do this trick, and he used to say that the queen came back as if it was developed by a photographic process.

I doubt very much if there is a single person alive who has performed this as many times as I have, and I do it in several different ways according to circumstances.

I have absolutely no idea why it is called the Dutch Looper, but I developed the following excerpt of patter as a result of performing the trick at a 10-day event in Holland years ago. When I returned home, I adapted the presentation for English speaking audiences.

You are all quite welcome to use this patter if you feel it suits you, and it can fit many a thee-card Monte routine with or without the looper. Let us assume that you are using a King instead of the usual Queen.

Address a young person and say, "The board of education informs me that you are bored with education, so I shall give you a lesson in the Dutch language. In Holland they call the King the Heer. Here is the Heer. If I lay them down and say where is the heer, don't say here because the heer is not here. There's no heer here and no heer here either. Tap the cards and here is the heer. Pull out the heer, my dear (if to a lady). Turn it over. Ha! Ha! No here!"

This silly patter gets a great reaction. Use it if you want.
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
That patter is pretty funny. I'll have to look up Ken Brooke's routine.

Kansas
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I don`t think Ken's original patter is in the book. It may be in the Ken Brooke and Friends book, though.

I am sure someone out there has a copy. Can`t lay my hands on mine at present.
prude
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of prude
The patter is not Ken Brooke's. It is my own. However I have actually seen Ken Brooke do this. He had very entertaining patter himself. I wish I could remember it.

I have often wondered why the trick is named the Dutch Looper. Anybody know?
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
I didn't mean to imply that it was Brooke's patter - I was complementing prude and thanking him in an oblique way for allowing us to use it.

Kansas
Ideation
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ideation
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 00:56, Cholly, by golly! wrote:
I have to concur that a dvd is the only way to go. DARYL DOES THE FULL MONTE is the one I learned with.

Dunno if it's already been mentioned but Daryl's "Full Monte" video owed much to Whit Haydn's fabulous monte routining.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2005, business wrote:

The best 3 card monte routine I have ever seen is the one by Jon Tremaine. He calls it the Scarlet Pimpernel and he has never marketed it or explained it. He did give a tiny fraction of the routine away in his "Amazing Book of Card Tricks" for the general public. It uses a double faced card.

Interestingly, Malcolm Norton has a Scarlet Pimpernel themed monte out now called Scarlet Monte - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20339

Wonder how similar it is to Tremaine's routine.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
BinBootin
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of BinBootin
Hope Mr Norton mentions the names of the people he has to thank for what I call a re-release of a very old trick
Selvan Vishal
View Profile
New user
India
35 Posts

Profile of Selvan Vishal
I got a question about the monte as well! Thought I'd just post it here. I have the sfs video and download and I've been working at it. When I hype, or toss for that matter, the card doesn't always land exactly straight on the surface(close up pad) , it goes at an angle every now and then. I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about. And, when I turn my hand to show the card to the spectator, do I rotate my wrist so that the palm is upwards and the fingers pointing exactly in front of me or do I turn my palms at an angle so that my fingers end up pointing at an angle ?
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I often have the card land at an angle as well. It has never really been an issue. No body has questionned it. When showing the card my fingers end up pointing at an angle but I think that is more of a preference than anything else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Question about the 3 card monte (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL