The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Triumph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Metalepsis
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Metalepsis
I am interested in the history of this effect (beyond just the inventor), and its variations. I greatly enjoyed J.Racherbaumer's Arch Triumphs, but that has only whetted my appetite for some proper history. Can I be so lucky that there is a single book dedicated to it's history? Or will I have to just use his bibliography as a springboard (fair enough, he's done quite a lot of work). Not just effects, but the personalities, and thinking behind its many forms, is what I'm interested in.

M
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26086 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have you gone back to the trick "cheek to cheek" and also looked at Wesley James "wishuffle"? Both part of the larger story. You might hear about how some kind in Tannen's was doing an "in the hands triumph" around 1980.

I like Dingle's take on the trick. It seems he liked the Leipzig approach to the card selection.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Metalepsis
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Metalepsis
Thanks Jonathon,

I'll start there, and count myself lucky. I take it there's not a good single book then, but its worth questing around on the subject...Smile

I'll post again when, I've chased up these references.

M
daffy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of daffy
I'm not sure, but I think that Triumph is an effect from Dai Vernon, which was first published in Vernon's "Star of Magic" book.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26086 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The book The Stars of Magic is still available. It was/is published by Tannen's and has lots of goodies including Dai Vernon's Triumph. I figured JonR would have covered that ground in his citations.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Metalepsis
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Metalepsis
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 14:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I figured JonR would have covered that ground in his citations.

Of course he did...this thread seems to be getting a little off track. I'll clarify,
I know who invented it (Thanks anyway Daffy!), and I know some other versions. What I was hoping for was a scholarly treatment of the history of the trick. The 'thinking around the times' so to speak. A kind of lineage of people who contributed to the effect, rather than just EFFECTS. I suppose this is probably better pursued by just talking to people, both here and IRL.

I seem to have trouble making myself clear here at the Café...I'll have to work on that. Again to clarify, history and anecdotes, NOT the lineage of the effects (except to demonstrate principles).

Thanks for your help on the topic. I also plan to make an extensive search of the Café for this stuff, but am a bit busy for a while...so that'll have to wait.

M
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Triumph (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.042250 seconds, requiring 24 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [5] [4] [2] [0] [8] [9]