The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2005 entrée: Larry Becker » » Mixing Magic and Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Larry, what are your thoughts about the whole Mentalism vs Mental Magic & mixing Mentalism into a "standard" Magic Show issue(s)?
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
It depends on the objectives of the performer. Including mental effects in a show that is for the most part a magic show simply means that the full impact of the mental effects will be dulled because they are classified by the audience as being magic tricks. In my humble opinion the performer who mixes them should do so at his own risk. I don't think it's something that should be fought over.

If your primary objective is to provide entertainment, how you get there is a matter of choice. In the final analysis it's the audience who decides what is and what isn't entertaining. Mentalism requires that an element of believeability be present. When a magician saws a woman in half, the audience intellectually knows that it's an illusion. A magic trick. When a mentalist apparently reads the thoughts of his audience there are those who tend to believe that perhaps it's real. It's this indecision that helps make mentalism effective as entertainment.
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2005 entrée: Larry Becker » » Mixing Magic and Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL